advice for developing your style...

pipeline

I think the most important thing to do is own at the very least a basic capsule wardrobe... suit, winter coat, dress shoes, straight leg jeans, button downs, sweater, hoody, plain tees and some chucks, all in dark/neutral colours. From there, you can add whatever pieces you like from whatever brand and it'll work. On the other hand, if you run around buying a bunch of April 77 x Cloak x Supreme x Nike etc you'll just look like a complete fucking mess because you don't have a solid wardrobe to work around. The only way to pull that off is to simply own so many pieces that you can work an outfit out for anything, but even if you could afford it you'd land up with absolutely no consistent style to speak of.

If you just buy what you like, you'll end up getting everything you need. For example, I just realized that maybe 50 % of my clothing is green. Probably 60% contains some sort of green. About 20% is grey. These sort of things aren't coincidences, but I didn't say to myself "you need more green." Buy what you like and it will all work out in the end.

In my case, I always just wear plain tees. No prints no whatsoever.

So I have a collection of plain tees most of them of the same brand, same style, just different shades / color.

I buy cheap tees like I get 10 white vnecks and 10 blacks and some colors.

I'm just very particular with the fit.

Then I splurge on something else - My denim and shoes.

It' just my everyday style - I like it and it works for me.

I think your interest in music (and even films) has a lot do with your style, and that you should definitely expand upon your musical interests as you start getting into fashion.

From my personal style I draw influence from a couple musical sub cultures .. 80's hip-hop, 70's punk, 80's post punk, and even 80's black metal. I think once you build upon your musical tastes, you'll be able to find pieces that you feel better represent you and your beliefs.

But I would suggest to take your time when you shop and be very decisive with what you buy, don't just go on a shopping spree. Sometimes you will be instantly attracted to a piece and then a month or two later you might realize that you don't like it so much.

Agree.

Shop for essentials, splurge on key pieces, look for classics.

Plan what you buy.. Well at least with me. I hate ending up with stuff I bought that I don't wear after all because I bout em on a whim. And if you do that you arrive with quantity rather than like weariblity or quality. I'd rather have less clothes but are fucking nice, than a lot which I don't wear and will be dumb a few years from now.

Invest in good jeans, Shoes, suit, coat, jacket, watch, bag - you'll have em forever

after years of trend following and ebaying off nearly my entire wardrobe more than once, this is some of what I advise:

you can take inspirations from runway shows but if you have the opportunity (i.e. don't live in the middle of nowhere), try on all garments you plan to buy in person before deciding to buy them. not only will you know which size is the best for you since all designers size differently, but you will be able to feel the texture and quality of the material and construction of the garment which will mean shit in the beginning but after a while you will better be able to tell if something is worth its sticker price (note most things are not). When you have done this for a long time and really know a designer or a brand, then it may be okay to purchase things online with less risk of needing to return it and lose money on shipping.

also try not to be closed minded about trying on garments from any designer that may or may not appeal to you. for instance I am not a fan of Dolce and Gabbana, and the rich, euro trash look on their runways. however one time at a OFF 5th saks, I found a suit by them (the mainline), the material was quality and I proceeded to try it on. It fit way better than 99% of the other suits in the store off the rack and it was also at a deep discount too so I ended up buying it.

anyways it's all about experimentation, look, shop, and try on a lot but don't buy much. if it's something you really need you will have but no choice but to buy it on the spot or go back to the store and buy it later no matter the price. hope this helps!