advice for developing your style...

pipeline

most kids at my high school wear american eagle, hollister, that kind of thing. thats what i wear to because i dont know where to shop or what to look for. i dont want to stand out or anything just improve my fashion a bit. i would like some tips on where to shop, magazines to read, and how to develop a style.

Hahhahaah this is a great post.

OK pipeline, I was like you about 4 years ago, except replace american eagle and hollister (never cared for that crap...don't think i've even been in their stores) with Polo and Lacoste. Used to be hard on that preppy steez, just to be a little bit cooler than everyone else. It was like, yeah everyone had PRL shirts...but westside's got the Multicolor Pony jank! And then I just kept going further and further with it...experimenting and shit. And here I am today. Anyway what I'm trying to say is that you can't just do it a little bit. Once you start it's very difficult to stop. The fact that you're posting here in the first place says that you have more than enough interest in style/fashion to get hooked.

Where do you live, what do you look like, what do you do, what do you like to do in your spare time, what do you think is beautiful, what do you think is fun, what do you think is fulfilling and meaningful?

The reason I ask is before I give any advice, I usually like to know about a person. You have to know yourself, like with anything else in life - otherwise you may end up like a dressed up doll. Remember The Emperor's New Clothes.

Hah!

We all wear costumes, the only difference between being a dress up doll and a real person is that a real person chooses which costume to wear...

I'm glad we think along the same lines, although I would disagree about the meaning of the word "costume."

Hey Pipeline, if you're just looking for brand names to shop for (bad idea IMO, you should look through a lot of stores to see what you like and build a list from there, including items you want pers eason), you've probably come to the wrong place. Also, price ranges are good. I understand that you're a high school student but you could also be rich as fuck.

Number 1: Don't try and radically shift your wardrobe in one month. Everyone will notice and you'll look like a tryhard. Pick good new pieces up now and then and your style should evolve pretty nicely.

Number 2: Shift your priorities. Stop worrying about brand names and stuff. Start concentrating on fit and quality of items, and start wearing shit that appeals to you, not your douchebag friends groupthink.

Basically, it's down to you, but the last thing you should do is run around looking at other people all the time and shifting your look to their aesthetic every 6 months, which is completely classic fashion victim behaviour.

Solid advice DD, but #1 and #2 might not work out together. It's obviously up to him and his douchebag friends to figure out if they want to hang out with him if he changes his steez.

I agree. It's actually useless to ask us what to wear...

It really depends on you. Your style.. IT's not cool to just "join the bandwagon" and look "cool". Um yeah, I think it doesn't really matter what brands you choose or where you shop, just as long as you have the eye for what you really want and what literally "calls" you - like a t shirt hanging on the rack, then go for it. That's what you should wear.

Just look at magazines and style websites and fashion stuff. Know the basics about proportion and what's the right length and all that shit and you're all set. :) Wear what you feel like wearing

I want to see photographic evidence. NOW.

I don't think I have any photographs of myself from this time. I hardly ever get my picture taken. I think I have a recent photo on facebook of me wearing a lot of polo shite for a friend's b-day though. If you want I can PM it to you.

I don't think I have any photographs of myself from this time. I hardly ever get my picture taken. I think I have a recent photo on facebook of me wearing a lot of polo shite for a friend's b-day though. If you want I can PM it to you.

please do, i need a new sig.

Solid advice DD, but #1 and #2 might not work out together. It's obviously up to him and his douchebag friends to figure out if they want to hang out with him if he changes his steez.

Depends on the steez he goes for. I mean, he could pick up some RL sweaters, oxford shirts, some APC NS and a good pair of shoes and he'd be out-prepping them, styling pretty hard and yet not looking like a douchebag.

On that subject, why is it that when you click on the A&F website they always appear to be selling half naked blonde boys as opposed to clothes?

I understand that you're a high school student but you could also be rich as fuck.

This reminds me of my mate's Taiwanese gf, whose parents bought her a fucking $200,000 condo to live in by herself when she was in high school over here. They lived like, 5 minutes away from her at the time too. Maybe they didn't want her living with them but still...

Hah, sorry then. I don't want more pics of me on the internet.

Ah, forgot about that. :D

This reminds me of my mate's Taiwanese gf, whose parents bought her a fucking $200,000 condo to live in by herself when she was in high school over here. They lived like, 5 minutes away from her at the time too. Maybe they didn't want her living with them but still...

Holy shit...but yeah, there was pretty good advice in this thread.

Yeah buddy, where I live its either you go scene, preppy (hollister, AE, or abercrombie), or skater (girl jeans lol). Umm, I'm going the same as you so far, I just wear the preppy stuff. (Still haven't bought anything from Lacoste or Ralph Lauren yet . . . But I heard Burberry has some nice polos) For girls its much easier b/c they have a wider variety of shops to go to. For guys, I'd just wear whatever you feel comfortable in. But if you really want a "style" look on the internet? I never go on the internet b/c I'd rather try on the things b4 I buy it....Since I'm not all that rich. But for me, I just go clean cut look, dress to impress?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I've always wanted to try some foreign clothing (from japan or korea).

Ah, forgot about that. :D

Mweh, I've owned property since I was about 16/17ish. Generally due to inheritance and my mother being an only child and myself being an only child (hint: kill your siblings and aunts/uncles before you kill your grandparents).

thanks for the advice. wEstSidE , glad to see theres people who started like me lol. anyway as for my life story i live in clarkston michigan, i'm like 5'11 140lbs i'm decnent looking, would be better if my arms werent so skinny, i use product in my hair, spike it a bit kind of a laid back look. freshman year i played on the basketball team and pretty much spent my time smoking or getting geeked in the bathroom, was to high to care about socializing. i'm at a new school now, and dont really do that shit anymore. i play basketball intermerals and tennis. i dotn have many cool hobbies, thats another area of my life i want to work on(besides fashion i mean). i think attractive girls are beautiful, as far as clothes i kind of like flashy things, i have some watches form tokyo flash and an obnoxious pair of bright patchwork plad pants from AE that i like. well because of the OBE and lucid dreams i have had i want to explore meditation as a means to expand my consciousness, i guess that could be meaningfull. i'm not rich as fuck, but dont mind spending some money here and there and collecting a wardrobe over time. no one really knows me at my new school so i dont think they would notice a change. i'm going to japan for a month this summer as an exchange student i'm sure i can find some clothes there. yeah sorry for the really long post. yeah i know its not cool if you guys just tell me what clothes to buy but if you have any sugesstions on good stores or websites that kind of thing.

Hahhahaah this is a great post.

OK pipeline, I was like you about 4 years ago, except replace american eagle and hollister (never cared for that crap...don't think i've even been in their stores) with Polo and Lacoste. Used to be hard on that preppy steez, just to be a little bit cooler than everyone else. It was like, yeah everyone had PRL shirts...but westside's got the Multicolor Pony jank! And then I just kept going further and further with it...experimenting and shit. And here I am today. Anyway what I'm trying to say is that you can't just do it a little bit. Once you start it's very difficult to stop. The fact that you're posting here in the first place says that you have more than enough interest in style/fashion to get hooked.

pipeline: i havent read all of the posts... but i use to be like westside back in the day.. rocking mad crazy colors .. fresh as fuck... but as time wore on i changed as a person and my colors toned down.. its up TO YOU.. if you got a good EYE @_@ then thats all that fucking matters...

westside when i get back home in a few days ill rock some sick colors for you ok.. i hope i can appease you <3

thanks for the advice. wEstSidE , glad to see theres people who started like me lol. anyway as for my life story i live in clarkston michigan, i'm like 5'11 140lbs i'm decnent looking, would be better if my arms werent so skinny, i use product in my hair, spike it a bit kind of a laid back look. freshman year i played on the basketball team and pretty much spent my time smoking or getting geeked in the bathroom, was to high to care about socializing. i'm at a new school now, and dont really do that shit anymore. i play basketball intermerals and tennis. i dotn have many cool hobbies, thats another area of my life i want to work on(besides fashion i mean). i think attractive girls are beautiful, as far as clothes i kind of like flashy things, i have some watches form tokyo flash and an obnoxious pair of bright patchwork plad pants from AE that i like. well because of the OBE and lucid dreams i have had i want to explore meditation as a means to expand my consciousness, i guess that could be meaningfull. i'm not rich as fuck, but dont mind spending some money here and there and collecting a wardrobe over time. no one really knows me at my new school so i dont think they would notice a change. i'm going to japan for a month this summer as an exchange student i'm sure i can find some clothes there. yeah sorry for the really long post. yeah i know its not cool if you guys just tell me what clothes to buy but if you have any sugesstions on good stores or websites that kind of thing.

yo pipeline: i get that your looking for guidance.. you seemd troubled? if ur going to jpn u got a lot of shit u can do.. im not going to say anythign ill leave the knowledge searching up to you... but yeah.. what someone said earlier be yourself.

express yourself.. dont dress to be someone your not

pz

most kids at my high school wear american eagle, hollister, that kind of thing. thats what i wear to because i dont know where to shop or what to look for. i dont want to stand out or anything just improve my fashion a bit. i would like some tips on where to shop, magazines to read, and how to develop a style.

you shld listen to more music, and develop your character. style comes from character, not from what you wear; its like a fuckin' aura you know, it comes from within you, what you say, and the ideals that you hold true to.

but if you want to be cool on this forum, get the tightest pair of diors on, some shoes with vulcanized soles, and a random shirt which brand you saw from the waywt thread; easy peasy.

since you're going to Japan you should be fine ;)

the main advice I can think of is that when you're buying something, think what you'll wear it with. think more in terms of outfits, thats atleast what I've found myself doing. I used to buy individual items that I liked, I had a hundred t-shirts that were cool but I really didn't wear most of them.

as for what brands to buy or for inspiration on looks, look around superfuture, check some other fashion sites, read magazines, look at people.. you can find inspiration in many places. heres some links for you:

online stores list - if youre not interested in buying stuff online, maybe just for inspiration

favorite magazines / another thread

essential mans wardrobe thread - might be an interesting read

Another thing to do is to just observe how other people dress. I'm not saying that just jacking an outfit 1:1 is good, but thinking "hey, that looks pretty cool" and "i really don't like that" has helped me develop quite a bit.

I like waywt because if I like an outfit, I can just save it on my computer and look at it again later to see if it still looks as good as the first impression. But also look elsewhere... magazines (not necessarily fashion-related), movies, or just random people on the street.

Oh, and if you want to change quickly, you will buy a few pieces that you'll hate after wearing once or twice. As long as you learn from it, that's normal.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Seriously, you're going to be one of us in about 2 or 3 months. On "superfuture.com" (not this forum, but the main website) there is a list of cool shops in Japan and an e-guide you can purchase. I suggest you do both before you go. Also, make sure to hit up Side by Side in Tokyo for some crazy good shit.

Also, backinthetrees gave some really solid advice.

Getting started is the hardest thing.

I was going to recommend some looser nudie or APC as starting jeans (just to get you away from A&E cargo shorts) but since youre going japan, you might as well make the most of it!

My advice: Look around the forums and at the WAYWT thread. Theres a few certain styles on here which are pretty much cooler than anything youll find in your highschool. Have a gander and youll notice some trends.

BTW: are you going Tokyo or somewhere else in Japan? Its a big place and is pretty expensive to get around.

Hey pipeline - clothes do not maketh the man. Buy a shit load of stuff from amazon, read and watch and listen and be interesting. If you have interests as well as sport you will be fine.

When it does come to clothes, the most simple and best advice I can offer would be to think twice when buying stuff and think if it matches your clothes.

Like it can be easy to see sleek shoes like italian makes, and buy em because you like the look of em, however if you only have baggy jeans to go with em your kinda wasting your money - you would be better off with clarks originals or something.

Try and change one thing at a time, also summer is the best time to do this as you can work with just 3 or 4 pieces of clothing - in winter you will have to make a decision about a coat...

If you just want an easy base to work from....

Buy some regular or slim jeans, buy a slim V neck tee shirt. ... from there you can choose, boots, casual shoes or trainers, and layer the top with a cardy or a shirt or a jacket ( blazer or a short biker thing ).

Jeans are a very versatile piece, if you get a good fitting pair they can look smart with a tucked in shirt and velvet jacket, or look casual with trainers and a plain tee. But I would say this, Im a denim addict.