Favorite Quotes?

When I came back to Dublin I was courtmartialed in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence.

- Brendan Behan

To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.

- Voltaire

Guest I LOVE LFC

"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared

to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

• 2 weeks later...
where is this from? it seems like it contradicts his thoughts on the ascetic ideal. not trying to be a dick just sayin'

Not sure either, only place it seems to show up on teh interwebs;

Friedrich Nietzsche, ‘On Little Old and Young Women’ in Thus Spoke Zarathustra, trans. Walter Kaufman, in The Portable Nietzsche, New York: Penguin Books, 1954, p.178-9.

• 1 month later...

I am looking for a particular quote that either has the words "exploration" and "wisdom" or relates to those two concepts together. In essence, I am looking for a quote that the concept of exploring will enhance one's wisdom or knowledge.

For example, an Ansel Adams Quote,

“In wisdom gathered over time I have found that every experience is a form of exploration.”

• 1 month later...

One of my favorites:

"Wouldn't the sentence 'I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign' have been clearer if quotation marks had been placed before Fish, and between Fish and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and Chips, as well as after Chips?"

--Martin Gardner

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"They prostituted every goddamn thing I had. I had the greatest gravy in the world and those sons of bitches-- they dragged it out and extended it and watered it down that I'm so goddamn mad!" - Colonel Sanders, not impressed with the penny pinching after he sold kfc

"It was not only that I could not become spiteful, I did not know how to become anything; neither spiteful nor kind, neither a rascal nor an honest man, neither a hero nor an insect. Now, I am living out my life in my corner, taunting myself with the spiteful and useless consolation that an intelligent man cannot become anything seriously, and it is only the fool who becomes"

- Fyodor Dostoevsky

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...