HARDCORE SAVED MY LIFE

Quote:

--- Original message by youwish on Nov 13, 2005 07:45 PMit's quite amazing how hardcore and hip hop mirror each other. both had their golden eras ca. 87-94, both are anti-establishment, provide(-d, whats with this fsu shit) safe alternatives to the youth. and both are being raped by viacom/clear channel/ whiny wannabes. and each scene nowadays has its own dress code. I remember when kids used to flip out of style cheap clothes and still come fresh. it's all well and good to rock nice clothes, but alot of it is unoriginal and too contrived.

--- Original message by azad on Mar 14, 2006 08:10 PM

well said. the underground shit really is/was very similar with people from each branching out into each other.

Edited by obsessis on Mar 15, 2006 at 03:13 AM

I think the Cro-Mags are sweet and all, but it's pretty shitty how you can't be into hardcore unless you love this band... or else people will think you're a fuckin idiot. I guarantee you that a lot of the people into hardcore actually don't love the Cro-Mags as much as they say they do; obviously, they'll never admit it.

Edited by LanceP on Mar 15, 2006 at 07:49 AM

i know kids now who will actually say "if you dont like cro-mags, you're obviously a nigger." again with the reflecting, hardcore is becoming more racist/homophobic, as is hip hop. i dont know if this is just particular to the scenes i know (new york, philly, la), but alarm bells are ringing for sure.

toma açaí

Edited by azad on Mar 15, 2006 at 11:48 AM

I should've included the word "now" in my post when saying "into hardcore (now)." Ah well.

Where I'm from, people openly say the word "nigga" as a friend, again tying in the whole hip-hop affiliation. I'm pretty sure there's no racism in the scene here in Boston; if there was, it'd get stomped immediately, I assume. Homphobic... maybe. I don't personally know anyone in the scene who is gay, or anyone who just hasn't come out with it... I'm sure there are some though.

Quote:

i know kids now who will actually say "if you dont like cro-mags, you're obviously a nigger." again with the reflecting, hardcore is becoming more racist/homophobic, as is hip hop. i dont know if this is just particular to the scenes i know (new york, philly, la), but alarm bells are ringing for sure.

--- Original message by azad on Mar 15, 2006 11:47 AM

its funny you should say that. if you ever seen the mags live harley drops nigga in every other sentence

RichmondSkylineNight.jpg

didnt realize some of you guys were from hardcore...kinda funny how people evolve.

i used to go to every show back in high school...from 93 to about 97 or so...in nyc, i guess it was the 3rd wave of nyhc. was in the pit with ray beez from warzone, saw sheer terror, no redeeming social value, crown of thornz, 108, leeway, murphys law.

i was more straight edge in high school which was dumb as shit in retrospect but it did keep me out of trouble. i was pretty turned off by the chuga chuga metalcore/gangsta stuff like madball and skarhead but it was all pretty fun.

all the nyc clubs closed down and so did the scene. i kind of hated that i missed gorilla biscuits at cb's last summer but spending $200 to see them just doesnt seem right.

straight edge has different meanings for different people. most people who consider themselves sxe are "drug free", and dont have promiscious sex.

i have met others who think that straight edge is "politics", seeing not just drugs, alcohol, and sex as distractions, but also meat/dairy consumption, as well as placing your hopes in a paticular politcal party or religion. in other words, some think being straight edge is the willingness to abstain from all vices in the world, in a kind of nirvanic way.

toma açaí

Edited by azad on Mar 21, 2006 at 11:34 AM

• 4 months later...

gb just played in sf last week. i missed them. but i don' t know if i would've enjoyed it as much as i did when i was 19.

the jersey hc scene was kinda fucked when i was growing up. a lot of shit-heads. but i guess i can't complain too much. that's how i met my sweetie...

I guess I grew up! And a lot of Berkeley/ punks punks are hippies. The origins of punk are not in violence and rage, they are in DIY music and anti-establishment.

Carpe Denim!

1112885282366_selvage1_edited.JPG

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Jun 16, 2005 at 09:16 AM

quoted for truth.

honestly i had nothing against hardcore music or the hardcore scene (i have been to more shows than can name) and i love minor threat, cromags etc. but i was way into punk (as opposed to hardcore. there is a difference.) mod, ska, skate art blah blah etc. those scenes seemed to be a little egalitarian. i went to d.i.y. shows to escape that testosterone fueled jock aggro crap and most of the hardcore shows i went were populated by those types.

i never saw much difference between the jock/herd mentality that permeated much of the hardcore scene and the jock/herd mentality that the football/cheerleader types gave off. just different uniforms.

you know when ian mac kaye wrote "straight edge" he was also referring to the false tough guy bravado that so many in the hardcore scene fronted. he never intended for it to become a rallying cry for a bunch of thuggish and hardline (sxe) behavior.

on the other hand the unity and political awareness of both the hardcore and punk scenes was very inspiring so when someone says "hardcore (or punk or ska or metal or skateboarding etc..) saved my life, i fully understand what they mean.

gb just played in sf last week. i missed them. but i don' t know if i would've enjoyed it as much as i did when i was 19.

the jersey hc scene was kinda fucked when i was growing up. a lot of shit-heads. but i guess i can't complain too much. that's how i met my sweetie...

19? would not have enjoyed it unless i was 15! that being said, I really really regret not being able to go to the pist reunion a few years back!