HARDCORE SAVED MY LIFE

I got into the LA punk scene in 1979ish. Hardcore is all about American harcore from the early 80's. Black Flag, Gang Green, Bad Brains, Red Cross, JFA, Circle Jerks, Circle One, Dead Kennedy's, Sin 34, 45 Grave...etc. No fuckin flowers huggin, straight edge crap. Been up to SF many times in the day. Maximum Rock and Roll....whatever. Well Crucifix and DK was some good SF shit.

< Lurch ~ Los Angeles Death Squad.

Edited by Hemidart on Jan 9, 2006 at 03:59 PM

Quote:

I got into the LA punk scene in 1979ish. Hardcore is all about American harcore from the early 80's. Black Flag, Gang Green, Bad Brains, Red Cross, JFA, Circle Jerks, Circle One, Dead Kennedy's, Sin 34, 45 Grave...etc. No fuckin flowers huggin, straight edge crap. Been up to SF many times in the day. Maximum Rock and Roll....whatever. Well Crucifix and DK was some good SF shit.

< Lurch ~ Los Angeles Death Squad.

Edited by Hemidart on Jan 9, 2006 at 03:59 PM

--- Original message by Hemidart on Jan 9, 2006 03:56 PM

you should check out the proletariat, they're from 79-83 boston circa boston not la. best band ever.

tons of stuff for sale now on ebay: corpus, Rag & Bone, Helmut Lang, levi's premium, Gap, vintage etc.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtriggerkid

Quote:

HC talk on this board is a bummer.

Unless you're trying to bring back YOT shirts over hoods to match your dunks,

Keep it to lambgoat, b9, trustkill or whatever you're into.

--- Original message by youwish on Jan 9, 2006 05:21 PM

just bought an illegal and que Los Crudos shirt not too long ago...rock it all the time.

tons of stuff for sale now on ebay: corpus, Rag & Bone, Helmut Lang, levi's premium, Gap, vintage etc.

I didn't say they were grindcore, I said their sound is stylistically closer to grindcore than hardcore.

Coalesce started off as a much more hardcore punk influenced band but by the time of their split with grindcore legends Napalm Death, they'd pretty much become too heavy, discordant, and into repetitive riff patterns to qualify as a hardcore band.

Dillinger Escape Plan may incorporate elements of hardcore, but the tempo changes and feel is much closer to grindcore and metal than punk rock and hardcore.

Everyone seems keen these days on getting their hardcore bands and their metal bands mixed up and it makes me think of times when hesher dudes would love nothing more than to beat the fuck out of hardcore kids.

How funny is it that the hot ticket right now is growing your hair kinda long, dressing like a girl, and playing this wonky-ass mix of metal and 90's hardcore?

burial year is sean and a few other guys from takaru's new band. they are going on some ridiculously long tour soon so check them out.

but i agree, i think we try keep the argument of "who thinks what is hardcore" at bay otherwise its just going to get obnoxious.

to me hardcore/punk is and never was about a band having a certain sound. its more or less a set of ethics/beliefs/whatever that shape an individual. kids can and do identify the NRA loving, republican preaching garbage that is Embrace Today as hardcore (yeah i'm sure they've toned down a hair). but hard-working and strongly DIY rooted bands like the aforementioned Takaru will get slapped with some other lame label and ignored by all the "true to the 'core" crowd. not trying to fuel any fires here so nobody take too much offense to what i say.

Quote:

I didn't say they were grindcore, I said their sound is stylistically closer to grindcore than hardcore.

Coalesce started off as a much more hardcore punk influenced band but by the time of their split with grindcore legends Napalm Death, they'd pretty much become too heavy, discordant, and into repetitive riff patterns to qualify as a hardcore band.

Dillinger Escape Plan may incorporate elements of hardcore, but the tempo changes and feel is much closer to grindcore and metal than punk rock and hardcore.

Everyone seems keen these days on getting their hardcore bands and their metal bands mixed up and it makes me think of times when hesher dudes would love nothing more than to beat the fuck out of hardcore kids.

How funny is it that the hot ticket right now is growing your hair kinda long, dressing like a girl, and playing this wonky-ass mix of metal and 90's hardcore?

--- Original message by onemancult on Jan 9, 2006 06:57 PM

well im new to this hardcore thing relatively. a lot of the people here have obviously been listening to it WAY longer than i have. it doesnt really bother me when people generalize about hardcore, because a lot of it IS really similar. people could easily argue all day about whos hardcore whos grindcore whos metalcore and all that stuff.

what does bother me is when people say that any kid with straight black hair is 'emo'. basically any association with crying, depression, suicide, love, and basically any kind of antisocial behavior being labeled as 'emo' pisses me off. the word 'emo' is SO overplayed in the worst and misunderstood way.

i dont admit to knowing much about emo, but i know hawthorne heights is not. thats like, powerpop trash. i know enough to say 'fuck you' when someone calls me emo just because i wear tight pants, or because i listen to blood brothers. its rediculous what people will label as 'emo' without any knowledge of where it started.

edit-- not that anyone did that on here, im talking about what ive experienced with people around me.

Edited by shagnscoob on Jan 9, 2006 at 08:03 PM

^^ youre just going to have to get used to it cuz the "hardcore" fashion scene hijacked the emo look years ago and thats just how it is. youre being called it cuz thats what we've been calling kids that dress like that since it started getting popular. its not your fault, but just dont assume it has to do with the music. im also not talking crap...just stating the facts.

anyways, nothing irks me more than people calling what most of the popular bands now "hardcore". mostly the grindcore kids. its like all of a sudden in the 90's bands started playing metal but kept calling it hardcore. its like calling dancehall raggae. i was born in 81 so i wasnt old enough to appreciate much of the original hardcore and punk until i was older (my older brother was a punk so i always heard different stuff from him- dr know, gbh, dk, bad brains, exploited, minor, black flag, cromags, dayglo abortions, etc), but to me that stuff means more than any newer stuff, even the 90's stuff. lately all ive noticed is that the hardcore scene is mainly overrun with people interested in climbing a social ladder and klobbering people (k was intentional).

Quote:

^^ youre just going to have to get used to it cuz the "hardcore" fashion scene hijacked the emo look years ago and thats just how it is. youre being called it cuz thats what we've been calling kids that dress like that since it started getting popular. its not your fault, but just dont assume it has to do with the music. im also not talking crap...just stating the facts.

anyways, nothing irks me more than people calling what most of the popular bands now "hardcore". mostly the grindcore kids. its like all of a sudden in the 90's bands started playing metal but kept calling it hardcore. its like calling dancehall raggae. i was born in 81 so i wasnt old enough to appreciate much of the original hardcore and punk until i was older (my older brother was a punk so i always heard different stuff from him- dr know, gbh, dk, bad brains, exploited, minor, black flag, cromags, dayglo abortions, etc), but to me that stuff means more than any newer stuff, even the 90's stuff. lately all ive noticed is that the hardcore scene is mainly overrun with people interested in climbing a social ladder and klobbering people (k was intentional).

--- Original message by UsVersusThem on Jan 9, 2006 09:50 PM

when people call my friends and i 'emo' i can see the connection between that and hardcore and stuff. most of us listen to sunny day real estate and stuff like that any way. i dont really blame them for that. but theres A LOT of bullshit associations, completely aside from the way we dress and the music we listen to.

i think what happens with music is that it grows and changes a lot overtime, but it came from somewhere. which is why a lot of today's "hardcore" is NOT what most of the people on this board call "hardcore". It all came from the same place, but I call most of this stuff hardcore punk, as opposed to just hardcore. But if you ask me, it's all just relative, depends who you ask, I don't think its really fair to give a certain group a really concrete title, because your bound to offend or disagree with someone.

shags....burial year is sean and a few other members from takaru. they are embarking on a ridiculously long US tour in the next few months so i'm sure they will be around your area soon. definitely check them out.

i typed up a mini-rant yesterday but it didn't post for some reason. to me, those out there that identifiy hardcore only with a certain 'sound' are the ones so far off the mark. bands like the aforementioned takaru bled from nearly ever fiber of their being the DIY punk/hardcore mentality exhibited by all the 80's heroes, but just because they didn't sound like minor threat or whatever else b9 kids jock, all the 'true to the core' kids get thrown off of their high horses when somebody calls them 'hardcore'.

two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

^

that's the thing. it really is about mentality, approach, lifestyle, heart, etc.

i personally spit on all the bands that are called hardcore and don't embody

the spirit, especially when it's some fifth rate cut-copy floorpunch 'til

your wrists break thugcore band- stuff that people a part of that scene today

would call REAL HxC.

oops, did i just mention another subgenre? is this going to stir shit up again?

Quote:

shags....burial year is sean and a few other members from takaru. they are embarking on a ridiculously long US tour in the next few months so i'm sure they will be around your area soon. definitely check them out.

i typed up a mini-rant yesterday but it didn't post for some reason. to me, those out there that identifiy hardcore only with a certain 'sound' are the ones so far off the mark. bands like the aforementioned takaru bled from nearly ever fiber of their being the DIY punk/hardcore mentality exhibited by all the 80's heroes, but just because they didn't sound like minor threat or whatever else b9 kids jock, all the 'true to the core' kids get thrown off of their high horses when somebody calls them 'hardcore'.

--- Original message by brokenboards on Jan 10, 2006 01:19 PM

what are b9 kids?