HARDCORE SAVED MY LIFE

you know, actually the sell-off was probably 97.

yeah, i was in bands until very recently. played basement shows around philly and providence, RI, and NJ, but that's it. no fame. no extended touring. nothing but demos. never pressed any records. a lot of heavy petting, but no happy ending...

:(

i still want to do a split 7" someday, but alas...

what was the name of your band? this sounds dumb, but the "emo" community is pretty small...for lack of eloquence, did you play with any prominent scenesters??

bob tilton, yeah, english band. the two 7"s i can think of:

of pen and pocketknife

wake me when its springtime

both really good still after all these years!

jmatsu, i did THE BIG SELL-OFF in 96, so you tell me!

ACME was super heavy, um. metal. not melodic. vocalist like loud static. guitars that sound like they are going through solid-state amps using cheap distortion pedals (though i could be way off base on that point)------------REALLY HEAVY!

i only have one 7" from them, but so hard to google "ACME" and come up with anything relevant.

remember STARKWEATHER?

i would kill to have that shit again

"every stone that you cast upon me, bruises me lovingly"

love those lyrics

Acme was intense for sure. I have a few songs form thier first album on my comp at home. Im in the process of getting my old CDs from my moms closet, I hope to find that.

and I was just thinking about Starkweather the other day. man those guys were creepers. dude sang so odd. I would love to get a hold of some of that stuff.

has anybody read or seen the new book by john bloodclot of the cro-mags? (theevolutionofacro-magnon?) read in a couple places that it should have been out by the summer but i cant find any info on how to purchase it..looks really good..any of you hc kids in the know?

also been beating my mind on other hare kishna related/influenced bands and could only come up with shelter, 108, and the cro-mags...others that could be worth some time to hear????

has anybody read or seen the new book by john bloodclot of the cro-mags? (theevolutionofacro-magnon?) read in a couple places that it should have been out by the summer but i cant find any info on how to purchase it..looks really good..any of you hc kids in the know?

"due out nov/dec '06"

according to the myspace page they have up for it

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=62202800

RE: krishnacore

check out this site: http://www.krishnacore.com/

baby gopal comes to mind

PREMA was a band from my region of PA, quite good, actually. members of CONCERNED. sweet memories.

other local philly-ish krishnacore: PRASADAM and MODE

could you believe that ink and dagger were directly connected?

it's not out yet.

by the way jj's spoken word in toronto a few weeks back was the quickest four and a half hours that ever flew by. fully worth the $15. an incredible life this guy has had so far.

sandbox anyone? brian mccabe from ink-and-dagger's old zine

what was scott beibin's shoplifting zine? the name is on the tip of my tongue... uh...

gogglebox was great; crusty chick's travelogue zine...

the basement children zine collective scene out of Downers Grove, IL was a lot of fun (Basil where are you?)

i used to distribute heartattack in high school, you'd get a million for about $10 or so

ah, good times.

oh another fave:

URININE

• 4 months later...

bringing the thread back!

i've just been introduced to hardcore in the last year. i was and still am into metal, but some shit happened and i really could relate to a lot of the lyrics.

Most of the scene in the bay and the san jose area is tough guy hardcore with a lot of breakdowns, which i don't like too much. the Gilman in Berkelely is AMAZING though, I just attended the Rivalry Records Showcase with Go it alone, killing the dream, internal affairs, the first step, another breath, and hanover saints.

here's a list of my favorite hardcore bands at the moment.

carry on, champion, killing the dream, life long tragedy, have heart, and i'm totally in love with give up the ghost/american nightmare right now.

anybody recommend me some older hardcore? i mostly just listen to newer stuff that is around my area and be able to see them live.

the Gilman in Berkelely is AMAZING though, .

yea it is, i got a chance to see the locust, le shok, and the convocation of back in early 2000...i'll always remember how amazing gilman was, the bands, the people..that day will always be etched in me...

hey ddml, do you have any copies of sandbox? ink and dagger was good, it sucked that brian died of an overdose...they had so much more to give.

yeah, i remember sandbox. i don't have any though. funny, last night i was wondering what zines i have left----to scan. my little cousin is going to seattle to work at a zine archive. i was shocked that such a thing exists. i will see what i can dig up.

one thing i remember from sandbox was a little blurb about brian and company hanging out at the jersey shore, making fun of kids in cross-color. i forget what they'd say... but it was damn funny. ugh. i'm afraid that half-memory wasn't worth typing out.

it is too bad about brian

You guys saved zines? I wish I had saved all the shitty and good zines I grabbed from the front window at Repo Records, but I don't think I still own ANYTHING I owned in 1996.

On topic, Lifetime has a new record. Discuss.

trying to think of some i picked up at repo.....radio free suburbia....korque 9....i used to do badass nation(ha)....can't think of anymore...i tossed most of the zine i bought, but had a friend in college that was way into that stuff and he left 2 giant boxes of zines at a friends house and it was pure fucking gold. Contrast, held like sound, genetic disorder, lots of local new england ones, and there was one THICK as fuck photocopied zine from NYC back in the day. One of my favorite zines was the basketball issue they had.

one from west chester I fucking loved was all hand written (terribly i might add) and hand drawn called ghetto plow. It was really really good.

right turn only was pretty good out of NJ. but being from PA, i don't care for much out of NJ.

hey shoreman, where did you go to school? we must to have crossed paths somewhere it seems.

it's really fucking sad that no "zines" exist anymore as photocopies were traded for high ad rates and glossy color paper, and the internet made everything more sucky. Where the fuck else will you ever be able to bater something with the use of stamps?

So glad I stumbled upon this thread!!

Good to see so many clued up dudes happen to be on superfuture (although one or two people clearly need to do some cramming on hardcore history)

..so many of my favourite hardcore and hardcore-related (post-hardcore/emo) bands in this thread..

I feel a strong desire to mention these bands:

Straight ahead, Floorpunch, Turning Point, Token Entry, Outburst, Underdog, SSD And DYS, Moss Icon, Saetia..shit hardcore's good. Oh and much love for the indian summer mentioners..

I agree, zines are such an integral part of hardcore, there are still a lot being produced.

Shame about all the millionth generation 'emo' bands and metal bands that are in the mainstream at the moment, but hopefully it will lead some kids on to checking out the roots of the subculture, and checking out some incredible bands.

And a mutual love of knife fight ('take your white belt and get the fuck out' - fashion parade) and dior homme 19cms makes perfect sense to me.

yea it is, i got a chance to see the locust, le shok, and the convocation of back in early 2000...i'll always remember how amazing gilman was, the bands, the people..that day will always be etched in me...

yeah the locust is going to be playing this march with cattle decapitation, daughters, antagony, and triclops. not really my type of show, but the locust is pretty amazing.

anyone listen to orchid? amazing amazing amazing band. so is pg. 99. black eyes isn't exactly hardcore....but it's good stuff. neil perry, some girls, ampere, usurp synapse, ed gein, an albatross. once again not exactly "hardcore" but good stuff.

and there was one THICK as fuck photocopied zine from NYC back in the day. One of my favorite zines was the basketball issue they had.

That was CHANGE, one of my faovrites from back then to. My band was on the Simpsons compilation they put out.

And Slug & Lettuce was put out by Chris Boarts, she was always totally cool. She's married to one of the Avail guys now. Still puts out the zine but very infrequently cuz she's a mom and all that stuff now.

it's really fucking sad that no "zines" exist anymore as photocopies were traded for high ad rates and glossy color paper, and the internet made everything more sucky. Where the fuck else will you ever be able to bater something with the use of stamps?

Tell me about it. I run a small hardcore label and some places charge upwards of 100 for 1/4th page ad.

And not to mention no one buys CDs anymore for 5 bucks shipped since they can just download it. I have plenty of coasters if anyone wants one...

^^^

didnt you say you were in asstroland?...i had a 7" by you guys, i forget what it was called but it was on clear vinyl and had a drawing with a guy with a mohawk on the cover...im pissed i traded that shit now..you guys were also on that slap a ham comp, huh?

Yep that was us, the record was called "Sweep The Leg". A guy in St. Louis actually got that cover tattooed on his forearm for some reason. Freaked us the fuck out when we saw that... I think I still have few copies somewhere if you're interested.

my favorite band

And It Was Written - Top Ten

Lastly, if I were to pick any one favorite band right now it would definately be Boston's Proletariat. This band sums up to me what hardcore is all about. Their music was incredibly powerful, harsh and original while their lyrics addressed political and social issues from a very well researched and thought out position. I've probably listened to the "Soma Holiday" LP an average of once per week since 1983 and it still moves me with it's power and relevance. The Proletariat painted a picture of a world so bleak and hopeless. I really can't think of any more clear statement of the alienation I felt as a teenager in the 80's than the way this album makes me feel. The Proletariat left behind the following output "Distortion"-cassette/demo, one song on V/A "Unsafe at any Speed" 7", three songs on V/A"Boston Not LA" LP, one song on V/A "Peace" comp double LP, "Soma Holiday" LP, "Marketplace" 7",Indifference LP, and two live performances on WERS radio 1981 and 1983, no doubt there are a few live tapes making the rounds as well. In my opinion the "Soma Holiday" LP is the best by far. Shit like the Ramones and the Sex Pistols sounds so weak and vacuous in comparison. Most "political" hardcore bands lyrics seem so one sided and simplistic in contrast. Well, I really don't know if any of this means anything to any of you Hac readers, but it still does to me.

- Felix Von Havoc, HeatAttack Fanzine, July, 1996