HARDCORE SAVED MY LIFE

you know when ian mac kaye wrote "straight edge" he was also referring to the false tough guy bravado that so many in the hardcore scene fronted. he never intended for it to become a rallying cry for a bunch of thuggish and hardline (sxe) behavior.

He also once said something to the effect of "he blew pot smoke in my face so I hit him in the head with a fucking hammer."

I can see this I guess, but it must suck to let something you love be ruined for you by the people you associate with it.

nothing ruined. fights were just another part of the scene whether it was skins or boneheads or some fool in a hoody.

the threat and possibilty of real and imminent violence was always there. wearing the wrong laces in your boots or wrong color braces could get you fucked up. nowadays everyone is staring at their dunks.

nothing ruined. fights were just another part of the scene whether it was skins or boneheads or some fool in a hoody.

the threat and possibilty of real and imminent violence was always there. wearing the wrong laces in your boots or wrong color braces could get you fucked up. nowadays everyone is staring at their dunks.

skins were more of a problem than jocks.

the threat and possibilty of real and imminent violence was always there. wearing the wrong laces in your boots or wrong color braces could get you fucked up.

because hardcore kids somehow got the idea they were the bloods and the crips and could hold it down and rep their hood and be hard, et al. hardcore shows have always been dick-waving conventions. and yet, mindless violence and aggression makes more sense than one more half-hearted shit song about sticking together.

quoted for truth.

honestly i had nothing against hardcore music or the hardcore scene (i have been to more shows than can name) and i love minor threat, cromags etc. but i was way into punk (as opposed to hardcore. there is a difference.) mod, ska, skate art blah blah etc. those scenes seemed to be a little egalitarian. i went to d.i.y. shows to escape that testosterone fueled jock aggro crap and most of the hardcore shows i went were populated by those types.

i never saw much difference between the jock/herd mentality that permeated much of the hardcore scene and the jock/herd mentality that the football/cheerleader types gave off. just different uniforms.

you know when ian mac kaye wrote "straight edge" he was also referring to the false tough guy bravado that so many in the hardcore scene fronted. he never intended for it to become a rallying cry for a bunch of thuggish and hardline (sxe) behavior.

on the other hand the unity and political awareness of both the hardcore and punk scenes was very inspiring so when someone says "hardcore (or punk or ska or metal or skateboarding etc..) saved my life, i fully understand what they mean.

Thanks for the history lesson

Boston Beatdown really exposes these hardcore figureheads for what they are -- old, bored, slightly dumb kids that grew up without any sense of purpose or direction. trust me, it's not even worth watching for the fights. it's possibly worth watching to see what these FSU "legends" are really like. chabo in particular -- does this fuck-up think he's in Godfather 4?

that being said, right brigade is where it's at because jesse standhard just don't care about the kids, the scene, the worst parts of hardcore often confused to be the best.

godamn there's someone with taste. Throw in Shark Attack and I'd say you were the coolest dood here.....after me of course.

when my band was recording our album, we were looking for more reels to record on and the guy turned around and pulled out the shark attack reel, he didn't do it though...