Vancouver Meetup

Tiranis

Just found out that there's an H&M opening in Coquitlam Center on August 23, noon. Apparently it's been common knowledge for at least two months, oh well...

Anyway, what's the meet-up situation? Is anything planned or did we just joke around and leave it at that, again?

The only thing I can tell you so far, is that if we get enough people (15+ ... ?), I could try and talk to the guys at Komakino about having a party there... but that's a big maybe.

for some stupid reason i thought only the owner works there, because i've only ever seen him in the store.

komakino is a fucking cool.

for some stupid reason i thought only the owner works there, because i've only ever seen him in the store.

Well there used to be a Japanese guy working there back in 2006, then Peter (I think) worked there for a while, and then some English dude... who maybe still works there, although I don't know.

So far we've got Saturday lightly penciled in. Are we meeting at the H&M? Somewhere else?

Come on, I'm not even from Vancouver, I can't be figuring these things out.

Either way, I'll probably have to call Diamonds and have him fill me in since I'll be SuFu-less while in Vancouver most likely.

Well... I'm really not sure, nobody's being active much. I'm not even sure if I can show up, so I don't want to plan anything in case I don't.

Mainly, I guess, we're still waiting for a list of places that don't card... I personally don't have any experience (i don't get carded almost anywhere, but well... that's not very helpful), so I couldn't tell you. Unless everyone wants to go to Chuck E Cheeses, which would be way too... un-superfuturistic.

I have never seen anyone get ID'ed at the Brickhouse, though I can't guarantee it wouldn't happen. I don't even know who would do it. The door girl? Not likely. It's probably my favourite local watering hole anyway, aside from maybe Six Acres. Pat's Pub is certainly enough of a dive (in the good way) to not bother carding people, but you never know.

Since we're inevitably going to have to think about a photo-op, we might want to figure that in. The back alley of the Brickhouse is roomy and usually deserted. Or we could try and think of a place more scenic. The square in front of Six Acres is nice-looking, as is most of Water Street. I'm sure we could just go to a restaurant down there and get drinks without any questions. Jules, for instance? Actually, that might be too pricey. Heh....maybe we could go to The Old Spaghetti Factory! Get that real tourist feeling. Or, has anybody been to Chill Winston? Or Salt Tasting Room?

Somebody help me out here. I'd also be into places downtown if anybody has ideas. Used to be a time when Bosman's would be the obvious choice, but those days are gone.

I was also thinking of going to see this movie Zoo at the Vancity Theater on saturday. It's at 9:30, and they serve beer in the theater. I saw another movie, Police Beat, by the same director at the VIFF a couple years ago, and it was really good. It's also playing sunday at 7:30.

I don't drink (and I'm underage) so I'm not all that interested in bars or whatnot.

What about coffee and a super gay photo session? Food, coffee, camera camera... something like that? I'm not good at planning, I usually just play it by ear, know what i'm sayin? I'm down for chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool.

And because it's kinda last minute, I don't think many people are going to show up.

Also, anyone want to hit up "Be Bare" fashion show tomorrow? (http://www.beyondrobson.com/fashion/2007/08/stripping_for_charity_at_be_bare_aug_16th/)

Looks like it's going to be pretty interesting, to say the least. I'll be there either way, so hit me up on IM/PM/or whatever, if any of you will be around.

Huh, the designers are actually pretty good. I have other plans, but that sounds like fun!

What about coffee and a super gay photo session? Food, coffee, camera camera... something like that? I'm not good at planning, I usually just play it by ear, know what i'm sayin? I'm down for chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool.

As much as I love the liquor, this actually makes the most sense. I nominate the following:

1) Brioche, in Gastown. Small, actually a caterer's front-end, but great food and good coffee, and it's built into a crazy triangular building that has an excellent alley for a photo-op.

2) Cafe Artigiano, several locations downtown. Best coffee in town? Regular, busy-type coffee joint. Photo-options possibly limited.

3) Elysian Room, Kitsilano. Probably not in the neighborhood we plan to be in. My personal favourite coffee in town, pretty chill, rarely crowded.

4) Finches, a block from Brioche. Hippest option! Great coffee, mind-boggling sandwiches and baked goods, great atmosphere. Tiny, though. Always crowded.

5) JJ Bean, various locations (Main Street or Commercial Drive). Big, chill. Popular local hangout.

6) Lugz, Main Street. Hippies with laptops.

Too many options? I like making lists. Somebody else can make the decisions.

Brioche's good, Finch's is great. Never been to elysian room and the rest is a bit too regular, for a sufu meet-up.

As for attendance, I don't think there's that many of us in the first place. Servo, diamonds, timber, lucky_cloud, ray, and possibly ordo. insidertrading is probably vacationing in some five star resort or something... and hewmiri left us for london.

Ok... I'm 75% certain I will come. Who's bringing a camera and will be responsible for shooting? I've smashed up three of my lenses while shooting some stuff for clients, so I've only got a 50mm/2.8 one left... suppose I could do some portrait shit, but still not very optimal. Anyone else with a DSLR?

I also screwed up my built-in flash on the D50... so, yes, somebody else needs to take photos.

sorry for jumping on this pretty late but, give me a concrete date/time/place and i'll let y'all know if i can make it out.

if you guys need a photographer, i got a nikon d200 + tripod that could be put to good use. holla