Vancouver Meetup

Tiranis

Hahaha. Haven't had a fryer to experiment with, but I'm sure there's plenty of places in Vancouver to get deepfried delicacies, yeah? And I could try to be a good drinking buddy buy honestly I don't drink, so anyone who attended might end up babysitting me unless we have enough people where we'd want a DD.

So we have 4 people posting thus far. Want to make tenative plans to meet on the weekend three weeks out (may 31st and/or june 1st)? Should give people enough time to say if they have conflicts and move things around.

Fuckin choked about Pork Belly House closing  <_<  At least Gyoza King is pretty good

Go to Damso on Denman.  Far better quality of meat, the cooks will either grill it in the kitchen (if you want to avoid the smoke) or let you do it yourself on the table.

It's a small restaurant and busy on weekends, but it's much much better there.

Thanks, I'll check it out. It wasn't as much the food as the somewhat cheap booze and fun place to get shittered and the menu was funny (unlimited strawberry juice, fried chicken and pork belly)

• 2 weeks later...

Haven has an opening party this Friday night that I am sad I cannot attend. RSVP address is on their instagram if anyone is interested in going. Guessing it would be, at the very least, an interesting group of people to mingle with.

We're a week out from my proposed meetup weekend. Is there still interest in a Vancouver sufu meetup for that weekend or would the locals prefer it to be pushed back in favor of a date with a better publicized, scheduled, and confirmed roster of attendees?

Who's going? It depends, I work 5 nights a week, usually have monday or sunday off. If you guys wanna go Saturday night to like Gyoza king or some shit I can go after work because I can close up by 1 usually unless some fukhead drunk chicks or fobs stay past closing

My workweek ends on Saturday at 5:15 ish, get on the bus at 5:40 (it'll take me at least 45 mins to get to downtown Seattle), and then from there I would bus to Vancouver. 3 hour bus ride runs from 9:30PM-12:30AM, though.

Alternatively, I could take the train up to Vancouver Sunday morning (7:40 AM-11:40AM) grab lunch with anyone who is free, do some city shopping/sightseeing with anyone interested during the afternoon, meet up with people who have dinner open, then go from dinner to late-night activities (I hear rumors of karaoke, etc.).

I'm flexible, so whatever plan allows us to bring the greatest number of sufu members in the Vancouver area together works for me.

So, looking back through the thread at recent posters, biggest sufu meetup would be assembling Ordo, Timber, e0d9n0b5, King Tut, Gatefold, shieldsy, CASSAVA PIECE, Ecotrons, CHINESEGOLD, and myself. As people don't always check the thread, I'm going to try and be proactive and message anyone who hasn't posted in the thread in awhile, ask if they're interested or not, and start trying to see where people's free time lines up. This would probably mean moving the meetup back in favor of a larger meetup, depending on response time and whatnot.

I don't think there is any way to know who lives where or search who lives where except for the information volunteered underneath our respective avatars/profile pages, so if anyone wants to help out with adding more members to the meetup, that'd be swell. If I remember correctly Larsss works near the area? If anyone else comes to mind/you have friends that lurk sufu I see few reasons not to bring them along as well.

Meetup times could vary. I have a retail weekend of Sunday and Monday, but a lot of members probably have the traditional weekend of Saturday and Sunday, meaning if you felt like meeting me it would be limited to either late Saturday night or Sunday.

At the Sunday meetup, which I suspect would draw the largest group, CHINESEGOLD had a ton of great restaurants outlined in the area(see previous page of thread). Majority rule on where people want to go for lunch/dinner as long as the pricing doesn't exclude members who show up for the meetup? I can even include the restaurant question in the PMs.

Now, this is a lot of planning, and we could just set a meetup point and choose a restaurant based on proximity. This is what we ended up doing at the Seattle meetup, but we had a much smaller group. Happy to hear other people's thoughts on this.

I don't really care about date or time because my schedule changes every week though generally I can get shifts covered. I'm not in Vancouver from July 15th to like the 22nd and August 15th till September

Responses from the slew of PMs indicates that a lot of members are busy this summer, but will try to make it out if they can. However, the members with confirmed availability are CHINESEGOLD, Kubrick, Gatefold, and myself. I will check in with the Seattle sufu members to see if anyone else is interested in making the trip up and will report back, but otherwise I would like to start planning the meetup for the sunday the weekend after this one, June 8th.

Didn't see a response from thread or PM regarding the 8th, so I'm going to push back to the 15th as the members who have responded said they are easy concerning availability and I'm still attempting to bring along fellow Seattle dwellers to visit.

I'm all set for the 15th (arriving in Vancouver at noon), and our current roster of attendees is e0d9n0b5, Gatefold, CHINESEGOLD, Kubrick, and myself. 

When and where should we have the initial meetup point? For the Seattle meetup we met up for coffee next door to Totokaelo, which worked out fine. Gives everyone a chance for meeting and greeting out of the way of weather (weather looked to be okay for the 15th in Vancouver, but you locals will probably know better than I how reliable your forecasts are. 

i work and live in downtown, off at 2:30 and I'll prob be hungry. Tap & barrel has a really good patio but the food is meh. gyozaking and guu are good but a bit cramped (aside from guu garlic) cambie is cheap and shitty but cheap. idk

So congratulations to everyone planning on attending an international sufu meetup today. This international nature is something I could have thought through better, as I am realizing my cell phone is not set up for international travel (not a world traveler, yet) so I will be posting in here/checking up before I hit the border but after that communication will be limited before I link up with on of you guys in the city. After that, we should be able to pull the pieces together. Current plan as far as I am concerned is get off the train and head for Haven. Get some canadian currency, get a cup of coffee, walk the city, and then meetup for dinner at gyozaking unless I hear otherwise. As soon as I link up with anyone this should all be moot but until then the itinerary I laid out is my plan. Hope to aee you guys!

Posted up on the first floor of the Vancouver public library whilst trying to figure out where and when we are meeting up. Anybody out there? Sending out PMs as well to try and confirm availability/meetup time.