Vancouver Meetup

Tiranis

We should have a Vancouver meetup once it stops raining.

It never stops raining in Vancouver, you know that. Also, you know I'm in, been too long.

I live in and around the Vancouver area.

The only person who will hangout with me though is Lars.

Next time bring the babby.

It's definitely been too long. I'm free anytime next week, as well as the weekend.

And I remember many moons ago I spoke within this thread, "I would like to meet Ordo." But my request fell silent, dashed on the rocky cliffs of the internet. Since that day I've grown bitter, biding my time, building my powers -- waiting. Waiting.

(There's really angry Starcraft music playing in the other room, which may be influencing the evil mood of this post).

I'd greatly enjoy meeting all three of you at some point in the near future. Bolt Bus usually works out to ~$40.00 round trip and would give me 8 hours in Vancouver were I to make a day trip out of it. Its unfortunate that the hoped for time would be next week/weekend as I will be in San Francisco, but I could always try to meet up with the Vancouver group another time.

Anytime you're in town, give a shout and we can arrange something. Too bad the train is double the price -- it's a really beautiful route.

And just off topic, because I'm fanatically interested in bizarre things -- Northwest, you should take a jaunt to my old golden thread, The Myers-Briggs Mystery Club and take the test. I guessed your type and I want to see if I'm right.

I think that's the general consensus when people from the internet first meet me.

But if everyone is free next week, let's pick a time and a place! I live south of the Second Narrows Bridge, on the wrong side of the tracks.

• 2 weeks later...

I come back to Victoria every few months-- there's always the wonderfully dank Lotteria!

Might be moving to Victoria next year for university. The island is great. If anyone hasn't been before, there is PorkBelly House, it's a Korean hole-in-the-wall that's all you can eat pork belly on a grill for 15 bucks and it's always packed with wasted Korean exchange students.

Might be moving to Victoria next year for university. The island is great. If anyone hasn't been before, there is PorkBelly House, it's a Korean hole-in-the-wall that's all you can eat pork belly on a grill for 15 bucks and it's always packed with wasted Korean exchange students.

where??????????? i need that

and lotteria anytime for me. i've wanted to go do karaoke there for so long i feel like it will never happen unless i go alone at this point.

where??????????? i need that

and lotteria anytime for me. i've wanted to go do karaoke there for so long i feel like it will never happen unless i go alone at this point.

841 Bidwell Street, it's on the West End of Robson

Edited by CHINESEGOLD

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fuuuuuck, that place was sick. I can see why though, it was 15 dollars for like unlimited meat (they added chicken wings and some other stuff around the end) and had fresh squeeze strawberry juice. Only ethnic grocery stores I visit on the regular is Fujiya and T n T though the latter don't really count

• 4 weeks later...

For anybody looking to live in Victoria:

Two rooms available for rent - Feb 15th, or March 1st
Big house at Oak Bay Junction, all inclusive rent - Under $600(exact # depends on which room)

PM me if interested =]

Edited by e0d9n0b5

• 5 weeks later...

I was greatly encouraged by the mini Seattle sufu meetup last weekend, and the group that gathered all agreed that we'd like to see a greater area meetup sometime in the future. The Seattle meetup ended the day at Trichome, the shop run by sufu member bruised. As a consideration for a possible area-wide meetup, Trichome is only a few blocks from King Street station (the Seattle Amtrak station) and bruised is a wonderful host.

I am still interested in visiting Vancouver, though! Any particular upcoming Vancouver weekend events that it would be fun to stop into town for? From what I've heard it'd be a great city to go for a run in, I'm interested in visiting Inventory and Haven, and seeing the city/chatting with new people.

Fair warning: I have a peanut allergy so knowing any favorite restaurants ahead of time would allow me to interrogate the staff beforehand to figure out if I could eat there or not. Will bring cookies/whatever other baked goods meetup members request, running shoes, and a sense of humor.

Can't think of any standout stuff of the top of my head but there's pretty good local concerts going on constantly. I've heard Fortune Sound Club is good.

For restaurants that are good and would put up with questioning I would recommend

Hawksworth

Dan Japanese Bar and Restaurant

La Quercia

Campagnolo

Maenam

Fable

Homer Street Cafe

L'Abbatoir

I vouch for all of the above. But if you're in Vancouver you need to have Chinese food though some will contain peanuts/fobs won't care about your allergy

Hoi Tong (go here, worth effort)

Lynn's Chinese

Shi Art (Dim Sum,really good)

Hu Tong

Corner 23 (Taiwanese food)

Congee Noodle House (really good Chinese bbq)

Floata for a cart style dim sum

Red Ginger (Singaporean)

Also our Japanese food is worth noting. Besides Dan, try

Guu/Gyoza King/Hapa Izakaya are all fun izakaya places

Ajisai Sushi

Shiro's

Toshi's

Aoto Ya Blue Door (Japanese home cooking, kitchen is actually two grandmas)

edit: run the seawall from start of burrard st.bridge all the way around the inlet and ending in Granville Island for a really nice 10k)

Edited by CHINESEGOLD

lol my mom worked with Tojo in the 80s in Whistler.

Never been, heard it's good but it's like fusion/Japanese food for white people. Omakase is apparently good.

Yuji has good omakase, I've done omakase at Dan for my bday for the last few years. Never thought I'd eat a cube of tuna tendon and like it

edit: corner23 takes it's bubble tea hilariously serious, the guy making it likes taste tests everything

Edited by CHINESEGOLD

Appreciate all of the recommendations! That's enough for more than one trip up there, so I need to keep this thread in mind for my first and future visits to Vancouver.

I will post up in the thread once I have definite dates and stay details. I plan on taking the train and making a weekend out of the trip as its a four-hour train ride.

• 2 months later...

Seeing acid mothers at chop suey on Sunday. Still looking to visit Vancouver, though. Anyone interested in picking an upcoming weekend for a sufu meetup? Still willing to bring baked goods, go running, and generally hang out in the city.