Melbourne

laziale

Heading to monash in a couple of months. There seem to be a fair bit of people from melbourne on this board so I could use some advice.

Will be at the caulfield campus so any recommendations for a location to rent a place? budget is probably about 200/week or less. More importantly, any place that I wouldn't want to be?

What are the decent broadband/cable internet subscriptions available?

Is is better to drive or take public transport to get around?

Caulfield campus is right next to caulfied station (serviced by a couple of train lines and a few buses), so it's pretty easy to take public transport.

TPG.com.au for broadband.

Don't know too much about where to live on that side of town. But stay over that side of town if you're going to Caulfied. Don't live in the north, travel across town sucks.

Good luck!

check domain.com.au for rental prices and neighborhoods...its the best source for that kind of info, although if u wanna live Australian uni-style you can probably find a share house which will be significantly cheaper. Of course the down (up?) side is that you never know who yo uare gonna be living with...

St Kilda East and Balaclava are pretty funky neighborhoods. Wouldn't they be on the tram route to campus? They are kinda bohemian-gone-recently-bourgeois Jewish/Eastern European neighborhoods with lots of apartment blocks.

Melbourne is reeeeally spread out - bigger in area than greater London!! - so dont pick a place thats too far away from school

Yo.

There's heaps of public transport out to the uni so depending on what you're looking for you'd wanna live central or maybe south-ish: Richmond, Prahran, South Yarra.

I dont kow if you're looking for a place by yourself, but you'll be able to easily find a sharehouse for $200/pw.

Co-sign on TPG internet. Can recommend.

Personally I would live in Richmond / East Melbourne if you want to live close to the city. On the notrth side living in collingwood / fitzroy or carlton wood also be good. You may like St Kilda, and its on the right side of the city, East St Kilda is good too.

• 3 weeks later...

isnt richmond a little dodgy???

TPG is great for broadband

but if you live in shared accoms, some places would already have existing internet lines which u just pay ur share. but watch the d/l bandwidth

no such as thing as fast unlimited d/l unlike singapore :)

I love melb.

Raving is the shits

If you're in Caulfield you don't want to be living North of the city, it's too far to commute!

You may find some places for $200p/w in Elwood, though it's getting a little more pricey these days. Widsor would be good, as would Prahran, East St Kilda. Public transport would be a little nasty around there since you're out of the city... but generally you can rely on the tram/train situation many others do.

I use iiNet for broadband (adsl2+), cheap as. www.iinet.net.au

u might want to try ormond, its really nice there so quiet, better than any suburb ive been living..or oakleigh/malvern if you want more crowded area heaps of transportation and supermarket.

but in the end living in caulfield would be the best choice..

living close to uni = the best

i dont have to wake up early, easier study access, library, sport etc

my recipe when living far from city =

study study study/work on weekdays and go crazy on the weekend,

you can always sleep on your friends house in the city when clubbing or go home with the first tram/train.. haha

and use optus, if you want easy package (mobile+phone+internet)

or else choose internode ISP, they never let me down..

yeah, but i don't think it's enjoyable to share a train full of bogans with little kids, as much as you want to call their dirty flannelettes... with their irrationate practices like having more children than they can afford and drinking in public whilst swearing and giving onlookers the heeby-jeebies.

fizzle. safe.

• 4 weeks later...

So I settled into Doncaster. A bit far but I drive to school so no big deal. I had to go with optus cable for internet as the place I'm renting only has optus fibre-optic lines connected. Also, I'm currently on the look out for a hairstylist that does good asian hairstyles, so any recommendations are appreciated.

I think I'll probably be going to a stylist named Katsu at Cherry Love on swanston street though. Recommended by a female friend with great hair. Hopefully he's good with guys as well. I'll try renaissance hairdressing next if it doesn't turn out well.

• 4 months later...