h&m slim/slimane-like suit..

I am helping my son find a suit for prom. He wants a slimane type suit but he is still growing so we don't want to spend much.We are settling for the H&m slimfit suit.

He is about a 38L (140 lbs,6" 2" 31 waist 32 ins.) We live in minneapolis and don't have an H&m w/the menswear near us. We have friends in chicago and nyc who are willing to get the suit and send it to us.Right now we have a black 38L 3 button on hold. Question is: what's the difference between the 3 button and 2 button? (which they don't have) Does the 3 button still have the rockandroll-ish look? Anyone who knows about this suit and can give details would be much appreciated. It's a semi emergency because we need to get it this week (ok yeah a fashion emergency..) Thanks!

I am helping my son find a suit for prom. He wants a slimane type suit but he is still growing so we don't want to spend much.We are settling for the H&m slimfit suit.

He is about a 38L (140 lbs,6" 2" 31 waist 32 ins.) We live in minneapolis and don't have an H&m w/the menswear near us. We have friends in chicago and nyc who are willing to get the suit and send it to us.Right now we have a black 38L 3 button on hold. Question is: what's the difference between the 3 button and 2 button? (which they don't have) Does the 3 button still have the rockandroll-ish look? Anyone who knows about this suit and can give details would be much appreciated. It's a semi emergency because we need to get it this week (ok yeah a fashion emergency..) Thanks!

Three button seems more formal to me but I'm no suit expert, I'm sending you a PM though with a place that can give you some pretty indepth information.

yes I looked at these threads..that's why I'm asking y'all the more specific 2 vs. 3 button question..never heard any talk about the 3 button version..like is said he's growing (like weekly..) which is why we don't want to spend much..

I'm sorry I misread the comment. I think 2 button suits look far better than three button suits, especially in a slim silhouette, and for formal occasions. However, a 3 button could work.

He's pretty tall, so a 3 button might work, but I think that he'll be more pleased with the way a 2 button works.

Be warned though, there are a number of factors involved in the "slimane" look other than "slim fit".

If you have access/time, take him to a Zara to try/buy something. They might work out as well.

Buying any suit without trying it on is quite risky. I agree with the Zara notion, it costs about the same and has similar stuff. And definitely go with a 2-button. Everybody els at the prom will be wearing a boxy black 3-button suit with a white shirt and a boring tie, except maybe for the one dork who decides to stand out by wearing a white suit. I personally love all different tones of gray, but charcoal is much safer.

I don't think we're going to be able to find a 2 button in time..Has anyone seen the H&M 3 button? He's already tall and skinny so kind of has that look wether he wants it or not..He also has "the hair" and plans to wear a black side zip boot w/the suit.

I could start calling some Zara's in New York I guess..this shopping blind thing is kind of crazy. Does anyone know if the Zara suits come in like a 38L? That's one of the main reasons this H&M one is the best option so far..that's kind of an impossible size. We have to get it overnighted today so we might not have a choice..Beggar's can't be choosers..or whatever. Thanks again.

Buying any suit without trying it on is quite risky. I agree with the Zara notion, it costs about the same and has similar stuff. And definitely go with a 2-button. Everybody els at the prom will be wearing a boxy black 3-button suit with a white shirt and a boring tie, except maybe for the one dork who decides to stand out by wearing a white suit. I personally love all different tones of gray, but charcoal is much safer.

the only "suit" they show on the Zara website is a 3 button..I think it may be similar to the H&M one according to my friend who's grabbing it for us. I don't particularly like the way it looks on the model dude on the Zara site but it's definitely not an ordinary 3button-er..the last option will be seeing if zara has a 38L..i know i'm going to extremes

but I can't stop now..

Umm.. I'm in NY I could go to the Zara / HM stores when I go out. I'll check out their suits and tell you about what I see...

I saw some rather cool stuff at the soho uniqlo store though. It's designed by this japanese designer dude and those coats,pants,shirts are quite nice + cheap. I dunno if it qualifies for super formal but it's a prom so I guess it's fine.

wow, you guys are amazing...anyway, It's on it's way. None of the H&Ms in nyc had a 2 button (or so they said..they were helpful but it's always crazed there..) I didn't explore the zara thing..did any of you look at their website and the "catalogue" section? That 3 button suit is pretty cool, I think hopefully the one we're getting is somewhat like that..I think we're ok w/the 3 button for prom. Maybe we'll get him a 2 button in something more casual later..maybe a gray? (we're going to nyc to look at schools in a month or so..) He is tall..very long legs I think we'll be good. I'm going to look for something vintage I think for shirt tie etc. It's coming overnight from chicago I should get it in the am. At any rate it'll be better than the monkeysuits most of the other kids'll be wearing.

I'll let you all know how it turns out..maybe even a photo?..

The suit came and it's a 2 button! My friend went to the chicago H&M and they were

holding the wrong suit. Something totally different than what they told me they were holding..So myfriend just pulled the closest thing they had. So the 2 button part is a good thing the only problem is that the jacket is a 38R not long. The kid is at school so I can't try it on him til later. I think the pants may be fine, I held them up to his skinnyfit levi's which are a 31x32 they seemed fine (even tho the h&M pants say 33w) everything matched up for the most part. Now the jacket is what I'm slightly worried about..He's meeting me at the tailor right after school. They said they can lengthen the sleeves but probably not the length of the jacket. The thing that may save us is that he likes to wear his jackets and shirts smallish (that's kind of that look i know) So we'll see. Does anyone own one of these 2 buttoners from h&M? How do they run size/length wise?

I will show you guys photos..The suit came and the pants fit perfectly..as though they had been made for him. The jacket is at the tailor having the sleeves lengthened. We got a plain fitted white shirt and still need a tie and belt. We looked for a skinny tie but haven't found it so far. Maybe Nordstrom? We're pretty much set..Thanks to you guys and especially my friend in Chicago. Saturday night's prom and we'll try to get some good pics to show the whole deal.

sorry about the blurred faces I just figured since they're kids and everything..u_=1112379588377773:3f3b40ab0c051:1000111:birdwing@earthlink.net:1000000:SFOPRD07

ok if it doesn't work let me know what I did wrong..

I would take that pic and upload it through imageshack... easier to get a link