Amsterdam Coffeeshops?

Blanc0

Ok, so I 'll be in Amsterdam for a week starting Thursday, the 10th, and I'm looking for some recommendations from Amsterdam Sufu-ers for the best coffeshops. I'm staying in Jordaan, but like I said, I have a week, so any recommendations (or where to stay away from) would be greatly appreciated...

Also wondering if anyone can tell me about a few that I was recommended already:

Katsu

Amnesia

Bronx (across the street from my hotel)

Old Church

greenhouse effect is mad touristy but consistently has excellent stuff...squeeze in, buy some kollie mist at the least but keep it moving if its packed...katsu is very cool, they have great hash, and super friendly staff...i highly recommend the african zulu if they have it, by far the most unique marijuana i have expierenced. homegrown fantasy is a nice low key spot down the street from the original grasshopper (stay away). if you are serious about smoking culture you absolutely must check out sarasani in nearby utrecht (3.75 euro train 20 mins). its the world's first coffeeshop, its in a tunnel under the street right next to a canal, very unique space, quintessential dutch coffeshop vibe...go you'll love it i promise. talk to some dutch people in any coffeeshop, they are nice, speak english and will be happy to steer you in the right direction.

Barney's: hyped up and expensive but Laughing Buddha (lightbulb goes off) is just knock-you-on-your-ass amazing. Not to say that all of their other stuff isn't excellent as well, but just my personal favorite. They also have gimmicky stuff like a vaporizer as well as good coffee, milkshakes, and space cakes.

Also, Dampkring has an amazing selection. A bit loud and crowded, but the menu is huge and diversified.

I prefer the quiet, laid-back places where I can take my time and talk to the staff - or even better.. talk to the owner:

Green Place (Kloveniersburgwal, near Nieuwmarkt)

't Ballonnetje (Roetersstraat, near Artis)

Tweede Kamer (Heisteeg, near Spui)

Also worth mentioning: Grey Area for top quality produce and Abraxas for the friendly girls behind the bar.

If you want a more crowds, I suggest you go to the more popular (and touristy) shops: Rokerij (Lange Leidsedwarsstraat), Greenhouse (Damstraat), Hill Street Blues (Warmoesstraat), Barney's (Haarlemmerstraat) and ofcourse the famous Dampkring (Handboogstraat), where during weekends I've had to actually stand in line to buy (!). Note that Barney's and Dampkring probably have the best quality weeds, but due to the large number of crowds, chances are that your favorite will be sold out.

I would avoid The Bulldog (or any place dominated by drunk people for that matter).

Just make sure to try the space muffins at the Rokerij or at Barney's, and as much as i hate to recomend the Green house for anything, they got good ones too....

all made by my friend, the muffin man, totally ill chef who serves up StarBucks style huge muffins that will fill you up and fuck you down.