SuFu languages?

jeepster

What language (besides English) do you all speak? i'm only up to alright spanish, alright hebrew (modern), and awful french and italian. i wanna learn either chinese/japanese, but im pretty shit at them in general, so im not rushign into it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can understand indonesian perfectly, speaking it... not so much.

i took 5 years of high school german and maintained nothing but A's throughout and it's still impossible for me to comprehend or speak it.

Almost every foreigner I know whos gotten to fairly advanced japanese (myself included), has had some major regrets about choosing it. For one main part, starts out easy so it draws you in, then the farther you progress the harder it gets. I hate thinking that if I had been taking a romance/european language, Id be entirely fluent by now no question, but as it is, Im conversational when spoken, and reading the paper/books I can somewhat pass but very very far from native level in any respect.

Also its a really hard language to maintain in my opinion,so you kind of become its slave- I was really considering doing a year abroad in Latin America or somewhere in europe (ended up in tokyo), but taking a year off from japanese would drop me back down to like, very basic level, which would:ve been a huge sacrifice at this point.

Just keep in mind for all you `I want to take japanese!` kids.

Im kind of bitter about it, so keep that in mind too.

Fluent spoken chinese -- I'm a funny case where my Mandarin is really really good spoken because I speak it in my family... unlike all you other people who claim to just "understand". Thing is, I can't write much.

Conversational Spanish... 4 years. I'd say I'm kinda fluent in it, but I'm less confident after 2 years of not having to deal with it daily.

I don't know much of the Queen's language though.

Punjabi - can understand alot, watch movies etc, but I am illiterate and not that great at speaking, some Hindi and I am learning Japanese right now.

I can speak in Bangla fairly well (can't read though). I've been working on Spanish for the past 8 years or so but it's still pretty difficult for me to understand native speakers who might use a lot of slang or speak quickly. I know some Arabic, but I don't have enough practice and I stopped trying to learn a while ago.

I guess I am fluent at a functional level in Korean, studied it 4 hours a day, M-F, for 2 years straight, in Korea. I play the no Korean card pretty often though in order to get my way about things, haha.

i also studied Japanese for 2 years in college and probably speak it at the same level as my Korean as they're so similar, but don't really have any use for it besides reading magazines and browsing Rakuten.

Unfortunately i don't really care to study either anymore, I can get around in daily life in both countries and most of the mystery/excitement is lost by now.

I speak perfect German, really good polish (native language), little bit italian (learning for already 4 years) and understand most Slavic languages like russian, czechian, slowakian,...