Types of teachers/professors/instructors you hate.

walleye

As the spring semester ends (in my university) in three weeks and have one more semester to graduate, I've encountered many types professors. I've had my share of great professors that inspired me, but the bad professors stuck out the most. Here's my list:

• Tenured professors- You would think tenured professors are tenured for a reason since they were great professors. Having a "job for life" at the university, they don't care if you get the material or not and their lectures are very unclear. Also, if you try to ask them a question they will mumble their answer, having you to ask him/her again after class and still get an unclear answer.
  • Egocentric professors- They think they're right and your wrong. You try to ask why, they say your "out-of-order."
  • Professors that tells off every person that comes through the door late-... even if it's twenty people. For every person that he/she tells off, class time is wasted little by little and throws off the class flow.
  • Off-topic ones- I don't want to hear you sing and play the guitar in physics class about your dog for five minutes (this really did happen).

I know I missed a few, but you have any that you would like to share?

Ive found this useful in the past so that I dont get stuck with bad profs.

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/index.jsp

I finally found that site during my third year of college. Before that, the school paper would print out all the professors' names and give them a grade based on a survey.

But still, there are some classes that are only taught by one professor and it turns out it usually was a crappy professor.

i had a tenured egocentric professor once, she was such a bitch. i remember that for her first exam we had formed a study group and had the shit down. we all got the grades back and i guy got 19 out of 20 on the last question, second other guy got like a 15 and she gave me a fuckin zero, ok a 0 out of 20. i was pissed. i questioned her cause he got an A and i got a zero, when we studied together and hit the same basic points on that section, and she said that she didnt have to explain herself. since she was dean of the department there wasnt much i could do. fuck that bitch.

I'm sure someone's already posted this but...

I can't stand teachers that are so damn smart that they can't teach...my Business Calc teacher can recite e to the like 30th digit and knows some of the craziest things ever, yet cannot explain anything and if you ask questions he thinks you're stupid (which, at his level, everyone is stupid when it comes to math)

Not to mention he's a naturalist...who doesn't shower apparently unless it's with natural rain water?

Guest DUM

Off-topic ones, haha my math teacher (im in stuuuupid people math here at CC :(, last took AP Stats in HS but my placement test here was horrrrible ha) goes off on tangents about noooooothing

I think those teachers are the ones who bring more of a real world feeling into the classroom, especially when they are talking about stuff that actually relates back reality not just accademics.

What about the "high expectations prof?" That's the professor that has the absolutely highest expectations from all of his students. The Prof is nice and a genius but he expects way too much and the tests are ridiculously difficult. This was basicially the case with my P Chem and Advanced Organic Profs. We are talking about Ivy League junior chem majors and chem engineers getting an average of less than 60 on exams.

Then theres the "show-off professor." That's the young assistant professor that's a hotshot researcher that wants to show everyone how great of a professor he is by assigning a shitload of coursework and having ridiculously hard exams.

Finally there's the perv prof, the one that always gives the cute girls in minis and tight tanks the attention and A's. I know that even an academic geek deserves some ass, just don't go about getting it during lectures.

I had a Comp Sci TA who looked like Jesus with his long hippy hair and his hippy beard. He also had a serious case of shyness. Couldn't speak, only mumble, and kept spelling "public" as "pubic." Each week he became progressively more withdrawn and wild-eyed. The class before Thanksgiving he came in wearing red barettes in his hair - the kind seven year old girls favor - and talked to the chalkboard.

When we returned from break the next week, we found our professor standing in the room with a new TA. Due to some circumstances, she said that Jesus TA would return in two weeks. However, it wasn't until the last day of class that he came back, all clean-shaven and buzz-cut with a placid but empty look in his eye. Oh Jesus, what did they do to you?