Japanese/sushi in Manhattan

psycfunk

i love sushi chefs that really get into their craft.

one time in tokyo, after leaving the club around 4, we went to tsukiji for sushi. the sushi chefs really appreciated how much i was enjoying what they were making for me. they knew i was an american since i was speaking english to my non-japanese friends. after we left, one of the sushi chefs came running out telling us to wait. he gave me an extra piece of fresh shrimp cuz i had enjoyed it so much earlier. can't wait to go back, hopefully this year.

^ Not yet, I've been walking by the spot over last few weeks in hopes of it being open but to no avail.

I did spot the dudes from Setagaya (noticed them since I saw them holding a meeting inside the location) eating ramen at Minca - wanted to ask them when they are opening btu thought it would be a dick move on my part to ask about another ramen shop while dining at another. I see on the facade that the location also houses a lounge of a sort, I hope they're not delaying things because they can't get a liquor licesence, all I care about is expanding my ramen options!

here's a general tip for all sushi places.

Here in NYC sushi places usually get their fish on a tuesday or wednesday. It depends on place to place.

That means, the freshest fish is found on the day they get it! So if they get their new fish on a Tuesday morning and start serving it the same day, that's when the fish is the freshest! Or they might get it Tuesday night and serve it on Wednesday.

So maybe you should ask the places when they usually get their fish.

Also using the same logic as above, I'd never get my sushi on Monday, as the fish is the oldest and are the left overs from the weekend. Wednesday and Thursday are probably the best days to get sushi in NYC.

here's a general tip for all sushi places.

Here in NYC sushi places usually get their fish on a tuesday or wednesday. It depends on place to place.

That means, the freshest fish is found on the day they get it! So if they get their new fish on a Tuesday morning and start serving it the same day, that's when the fish is the freshest! Or they might get it Tuesday night and serve it on Wednesday.

So maybe you should ask the places when they usually get their fish.

Also using the same logic as above, I'd never get my sushi on Monday, as the fish is the oldest and are the left overs from the weekend. Wednesday and Thursday are probably the best days to get sushi in NYC.

This isn't always true. To some extent, it's a myth perpetuated by the infamous "Sushi Memo". Obviously this can be remedied by asking when places get their fish. In some cases, it is probably daily.

i only go to sushi places that have actual japanese people making the food. if i see jose in the back making my spider roll im out the door. :mad:

i forgot that japanese people are genetically inclined to produce superior sushi

the sandpaper skin probably keeps the meshi from sticking to their hands

dont mean to antagonize

but if you're ordering spider rolls

i don't think godzilla piloting a gundam singing karaoke slicing your makizushi with tokugawa ieyasu's katana would lend it the authenticity you seem to be looking for

i forgot that japanese people are genetically inclined to produce superior sushi

the sandpaper skin probably keeps the meshi from sticking to their hands

dont mean to antagonize

i don't think godzilla piloting a gundam singing karaoke slicing your makizushi with tokugawa ieyasu's katana would lend it the authenticity you seem to be looking for

quoted for awesomeness.

i know its in BK and this is a manhattan thread, but, osaka on court St. is great. really really great.

While I wouldn't call it a bad restaurant, that place is they epitome of a "pretender". It just isn't very Japanese and neither is the menu. It caters to people who think Japanese food consists of Rainbow rolls, California rolls and edamame. The handful of times I've been have been decent, but it would suck if you were going with the expectation that it is a real Japanese restaurant.

Has anyone gone to Rosanjin? I've heard mixed reviews.

Thanks.

never heard of rosanjin in new york, but that name interests me a lot. it's a name of a rather legendary artist/culinary master in japan.

sadly, i haven't been to many japanese restaurants in the city. but so far, i could recommend ise (very authentic japanese food) and totto (sumiyaki or charcoal yakitori).

dont mean to antagonize

someone had to say it. maybe didn't have to be said this well, but someone had to.

awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't want to create a new thread so I'll just put my question in here.

Well it's like the topic starter's question, but a little more specific...

What's a good place for sushi/Japanese food that can accommodate maybe like 10-20 people and isn't that expensive (maybe $20-30 per person)? It's for a birthday.

Should we just go the cheap and easy, lower quality route by just going to Todai? I think most of the people in the group don't really care about the extreme details of sushi like the superfuturians here, but just in case are there any better large restaurants?

Thanks!

hey, i found a new favorite spot for sushi.

it's called geido and it's on flatbush ave. in brooklyn (close to the atlantic ave. station).

the person who runs it is into judo because there's some judo paraphernalia and i saw a picture of sensei oishi on a shelf:

TOUGHGUY.jpg

one of the sushi chefs had serious cauliflower ears, so i am thinking he might be the owner...

anyways. the sushi there is excellent. the food is excellent. the beer is cheap and cold. the atmosphere is awesome. clientelle is hip. and the price is great.

this is more like a izakaya/sushi place, but they definitely don't skimp out on the sushi. also the izakaya food is much better quality than your average izakaya fare.

definitely check it out!