Any NY Students here?

Lucas0607

Title pretty much says it all...

Are there any people here studying and staying in Manhattan?

I'm planning to move and transfer schools in manhattan... how much do you pay for rent (average) and where are spots I can get somewhere to stay for cheap + a room mate so that makes it cheaper...

Thanks guys

I'm a grad student here in NYC and also did undergrad here.

If you're looking downtown, rents are going to be high. Look on Craigslist. What about university housing? Do they have anything subsidized?

It's sooo expensive... I'm an international student so yeah.. the housing the school offers is just waaay to high. almost like what I'm paying for tuition. I don't care if I live in a un-posh apartment, just as long as it serves its purpose and can fit possible room mates so we could split the costs. Money money money.. If only I had money

Thats normal, if the price of tuition is 30K a year, 10K of it is mostly housing and food. Anyways, try Queens, Bronx, Jersey or Long Island :gasps: . St. Johns University (queens), Fordham (Bronx), Hofstra, LIU CW Post (Brooklyn Campus or Long Island both have housing but depends what your studying I believe), Cuny Schools, and others all offer on campus. But Cuny will offer housing since you're an international kid. St. Francis and St. Joseph both have dorming. Not everything happens in Manhattan, sure its nice but its expensive and besides being in long island is not that bad, its 20-30 minutes away from the city if you need to be. Living on campus is convenient too cause you dont have to commute anywhere to get to your class.

What school are you planning to attend? From the sounds of it, you're looking at Parsons and Pratt. If you're interested in Toy Design, FIT's Toy program is pretty strong with direct ties to the production toy industry.

Nationally, I believe CIA, RISD, University of Cincy, and Art Center have stronger programs. Depends on what you want to get into.

manhattan.... anywhere from 700 bucks(illegal conversion apt little bigger than a jail cell)

its all about location, location, location... 1200-1800 for a studio - 1 bedroom