2007's Best Albums So Far

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the best thing this year for me has been the 4 remastered and expanded Magazine albums, each of them absolutely seminal nu-wave must have albums. Asides from that:

Amon Tobin - Foley Room

Pelican - City of Echoes (has noone else in this topic noticed it's been leaked for months now?)

Beneath The Massacre - Mechanics of Dysfunction

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

Ghost Of A Thousand - This Is Where The Fight Begins

65daysofstatic - The Destruction Of Small Ideals

Do Make Say Think - You, You're A History In Rust

I've probably missed a few out, that's just my pick of what iTunes tells me is from 2007. Looking forward to releases from My Vitriol (finally), Bossk, Architects and Smashing Pumpkins this year.

Justice - † well it's not actually out yet, but for those of you who have it leaked, you gotta agree it's the tits, preorders for the special boxset including vinyl and tshirt go on arcade mode in 3 hours, limited to 400.

It has been a very good year so far for indie/hipster rock - maybe about as good as the year in hip-hop has been disappointing.

Arcade Fire "Neon Bible"

Modest Mouse "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank"

LCD Soundsystem "Sound of Silver"

White Stripes "Icky Thump"

Feist "The Reminder"

hip-hop-wise, it's all about

Lil Wayne "Da Drought 3"

his new song, "I feel like dying," streaming at Fader's blog, is amazingly bizarre, fyi...

Eeek...never have I found my tastes so well aligned with Pitchfork's!

It took me months to fully get into it but I'd say A Ghost Is Born is on par with Being There and YHF (their best IMO). The new one was WAAAAAY too soft rock for me, but that could change in the next couple months, heh.

Naw, fuck that Sky Blue Sky shit. It's got a couple moments, but the more I listen to it the more I realize it's music for dads that are too cool for the Eagles. It's like a boring version of AM. Blah. Even the lyrics are forgettable. I've been a fan for almost ten years and the new stuff is NOT a good look.

You're saying shoegaze is overproduced? Have you not heard loveless? 250k and it sounds like a monkey mastered it.

What is this all supposed to mean? Mastering, production and an inflated budget due to Kevin Shields perfectionism are three completely separate things involving three different parties.

• 2 months later...

Martin Grech - March of the Lonely

Almost a polar opposite to the last album, the Trent ReznorxJ.S. Bach excesses replaced largely with a pair of acoustic guitars, but it's still utterly superlative singer/songwriting action that makes Matt Bellamy and Thom Yorke sound like rank amateurs at those high notes.

Lifetime - Self-Titled

The One AM Radio - This Too Will Pass

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour (just leaked!)

Marduk - ROM 5:12

I'm sure once Darkthrone - FOAD comes out, it will blow all of those away, though.