2007's Best Albums So Far

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I really like this thread because I love new music. I think it would be a good idea to put the genre of music next to the name of the release as it would help people seraching for new things to listen to figure out things they like much quicker than listening to random albums that they don't have any idea who they are. Anyone agree or disagree??

Soil & "Pimp" Sessions - Pimpoint is amazing, just out in Japan. I donlt know if anyone on this board is up on them, but they are pretty much my favorite band at the moment.

Link to the video: http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/soilpimp/ram/VICL-36203-01F.ram

This group really is pretty damn good. The videos of them performing live were just amazing. I am so bummed that I did not make use of my opportunities to see them live (twice), cos right now I have no idea how to get hold of their music.

^ Juno and brownswood both stock Soiland pimp sessions.

http://www.juno.co.uk/artists/Soil+%2526+Pimp+Sessions/

http://www.recordstore.co.uk/brownswoodrecordings/

Feeling the new Colleen I picked up at her show a few weeks ago, "Les ondes silencieuses" her best yet IMO, not sure it's released yet.

Battles' "mirrored" took me off guard a bit ... totally different to the previous EP's which knocked my socks off and I was anticipating something similar. Getting into now I've dug deeper and played it a bunch of times. Keep finding new things to listen to each play.

This thread has made me realize the extent to which I've been focused on reissues this year. I oughta put some more time in with "living" music, methinks...

(1) Group Doueh - Guitar Music from the Western Sahara

(2) Skull Disco - Soundboy Punishments (don't even have this yet, just most of the 12s... desperately craving it for the first couple SD releases and the ability to listen away from my precious record player)

(3) Twinsistermoon - When Stars Glide Through Solid

(4) Andrew Chalk - Blue Eyes of the March - Actually, bunches of this dudes stuff, though this is really the only one I more or less think is an "official" 2007 release

(5) Tie... Visitations "untitiled" and Elephant Micah - Hindu Windmills... okay, so the former is not yet released (got an advance copy) and the latter was out in December last year (so sue me)... both great campfire jawns, IMO.

Again, no inclusion of reissues (I don't think Group Doueh counts as a reissue...) or singles (there'd be a lot more dubstep/dub techno) skews this heavily...

most already previously mentioned, but i'll reiterate....i can't get enough of these:

panda bear - person pitch (probably my favorite so far, can't get enough)

blonde redhead - 23

twilight sad - fourteen autumns.... (this one took me by surprise)

the national - boxer

eluvium - copia (even better live)

explosions in the sky - all of a sudden i miss everyone (i can never get tired of this formula)

do make say think - you, you're a history rust

battles - mirrored (just got this, my jaw is still on the floor, freakin amazing)

feist - the reminder

all are AMAZING records so far this year, what a good start to the year.

spoon - ga ga ga ga ga

a sunny day in glasgow - scribble mural comic journal

holy fuck - s/t ep

ola podrida - s/t

grails - burning off impurities

fridge - happiness

65 days of static - the destruction of small ideas

mirah and spectratone international - share this place (stories and observations)

spoon - ga ga ga ga ga

There's a new Spoon album D<!? *curses self for not being up to date with new music*

Anyways. Probably ... Person Pitch - Panda Bear.

Usually I don't go for that, and I'm not much of an Animal Collective fan, but I just love that album.

mapofafrica.jpg

Map of Africa's self-titled is on god status.

EDIT: i just want to reiterate that this album is aural jesus.

its thomas from Rub n' Tug and legendary DJ Harvey.

the production is so spot on, it sounds like someone unearthed a lost

classic album from 1979/1980. simultaneously sounds full and rich, and

yet, somehow not of this time.

if you have any interest in 'out' rock, psych-prog, space/cosmic disco, please check this the fuck out now thanks guys.

EDIT II: Since I'm so nice and you're all lazy...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WY8Q53LC

Wow. I really dont listen to any music. I don't move in circles of people who are real into music but I have never heard of any of these bands/groups/artists. I listen to music everyday but it's always the same 20 or 30 groups.

you have to do the searching yourself. None of my friends have my musical taste. Ima hip hop head w/ open ears (I like other stuff too), so I search the net for good shit

and I just checked out Soil & Pimp sessions...thats some good stuff right there

Top 10 so far...

The Field - From Here We Go Sublime

Stars of the Lid - And Their Refinement of the Decline

Raccoo-oo-oon - Behold Secret Kingdom

Grouper - Cover the Windows and the Walls

Panda Bear - Person Pitch

Christian Fennesz & Ryuichi Sakamoto - Cendre

Terry Riley - Les Yeux Fermes & Lifespan

Cato Salsa Experience and The Thing with Joe McPhee - Two Bands and a Legend

Various Artists - Box of Dub

Prodigy - Return of the Mac

wow, i work in a record store, and there's a bunch of these i haven't heard of/about: terry riley put out an album this year?

onemancult, thanks for the download, i'm stoked.

i'm also stoked that there's so much consensus about panda bear. i love that album.

other things:

bill callahan - woke on a whaleheart

lavender diamond - imagine our love

blues control - s/t

no age - myspace tracks (a friend of mine in LA is currently buying me their 7-inches. woo!)

telepathe - sinister militia ep

cornelius - sensuous

j dilla - ruff draft reissue (seriously, where is all the good hip-hop this year? any suggestions?)

skeletons and the kings of all cities - lucas (criminally under-hyped!)

secret mommy - plays

gruff rhys - candylion

avey tare and kria brekken - pullhair rubeye (unreversed)

i'm excited about upcoming stuff, too: architecture in helsinki, iron and wine, m.i.a., justice, von sudenfed, etc. have there been any good jazz albums this year? I just checked out the mats gustaffson/yoshimi collab and it was pretty much unlistenable.

i'm excited about upcoming stuff, too: justice

no problem. let me know what you think.

the justice album is leaked and was posted to this forum,

i'm pretty sure.

poke around here:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=28017&highlight=justice

wow, i work in a record store, and there's a bunch of these i haven't heard of/about: terry riley put out an album this year?

i'm also stoked that there's so much consensus about panda bear. i love that album.

other things:

bill callahan - woke on a whaleheart

lavender diamond - imagine our love

blues control - s/t

no age - myspace tracks (a friend of mine in LA is currently buying me their 7-inches. woo!)

telepathe - sinister militia ep

cornelius - sensuous

j dilla - ruff draft reissue (seriously, where is all the good hip-hop this year? any suggestions?)

skeletons and the kings of all cities - lucas (criminally under-hyped!)

secret mommy - plays

gruff rhys - candylion

avey tare and kria brekken - pullhair rubeye (unreversed)

i'm excited about upcoming stuff, too: architecture in helsinki, iron and wine, m.i.a., justice, von sudenfed, etc. have there been any good jazz albums this year? I just checked out the mats gustaffson/yoshimi collab and it was pretty much unlistenable.

well nice, man. my gf and i both adore sensuous. you're also right about skeletons! though i didn't hear about it until very recently. i didn't like blues control so much despite the hype, but i'm gonna check out everything else you mentioned.

and yes the new terry riley is brilliant. there's also an advance of von sudenfed circulating...

no problem. let me know what you think.

This is amazing! I'm on my second listen and I could sort do without the vocals (too tongue-in-cheek, occasionally reminds me uncomfortably of steven tyler), but the music is really incredible and the production is unbelievable. everything sounds sooo good, and the style is just all over the map (makes me think of funkadelic, can, lcd soundsystem, even the pop group for a second or two). I can't believe these guys are so low-profile. there's basically zero info on their myspace.

So far, "Ely Cathedral" and "Wyatt Urp" are my favourite tracks. Thanks again for the upload!