2007's Best Albums So Far

boris w/the dude from ghost - rainbow

jay reatard - blood visions

das oath - umm the newest one

no age - weirdo rippers/get hurt

feist - the reminder

deerhoof - friend opportunity

wilco - sky blue sky

dinosaur jr. - beyond (haven't heard this yet actually..)

Michio Kurihara is the guy from Ghost. You should check out his solo album, because it's really fucking good.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michio Kurihara is the guy from Ghost. You should check out his solo album, because it's really fucking good.

If you like Ghost, checkout Nagisa Ni Te. I like more than Ghost, actually.

Panda Bear - Person Pitch

Raccoo-oo-oon - Behold Secret Kingdom

Wooden Wand - James and the Quiet

Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall 1971 (if we're counting material that isn't exactly "new")

I'm waiting for the new Shellac as well, and Albini doesn't even do promo releases.

Am I reading this right? Did you just say racoo-oo-oon?

Do you have some kind of connection to the band or do they actually have a decent fanbase now?

I used to be decent friends with one of the members in HS, and we have a lot of mutual friends.

Am I reading this right? Did you just say racoo-oo-oon?

Do you have some kind of connection to the band or do they actually have a decent fanbase now?

I used to be decent friends with one of the members in HS, and we have a lot of mutual friends.

No, I don't have a connection with them. I know someone that lived in Iowa for a while that told me about them, but I really don't think their fanbase is that large aside from small hipster circles, small online review magazines, or record stores.

So Far....

Lil Wayne & Dipset - Tha Drought III (expecting to take heat from this, but Wayne's verses are his best since The Carter II)

LilWayneDD3-2F.JPG

I'll support this. And add - Stephen Marley: Mind Control

Maher Shalal Has Baz- "L' Autre Cap"

Derrida reference+ the best expermental cracked folk/song/pop you're bound to hear for a good long time. Incredible. GUILTY OR NOT GUILTY?

Guest Chocodove2

Been said several times already but 23 by Blonde Redhead is amazing.

I really found the new Arcade Fire to be incredibly dissapointing. Loved it the first week I had it, but the more I listen to it the less I like it.

Was anyone else sort of disappointed with Bjorks new, uh, offering? Granted I've only listened to it once and it could grow on me, but it left me...unsatisfied!

great lake swimmers - ongiara

andrew bird - armchair apocrypha

air - pocket symphony

new modest mouse

skeletons and the kings of all cities - lucas

of montreal - hissing fauna...

panda bear - person pitch

new feist

new frog eyes

good the bad & the queen - s/t

clap your hands - some loud thunder

menomena - friend and foe

!!! - myth takes

deerhunter - cryptograms

besnard lakes - ...are the dark horse

Unimpressed by Person Pitch, Friend and Foe, Crypotograms, and Hissing Fauna. This is shaping up to be the year in which promising (and well established) bands couldn't follow up.

Was anyone else sort of disappointed with Bjorks new, uh, offering? Granted I've only listened to it once and it could grow on me, but it left me...unsatisfied!

Nope. Loved it.

Oh I forgot to mention myth takes. Great effort, !!!'s best, so far, in my opinion.

Atlas isn't a true reflection of Battles' output so far, but the new record isn't around publicly 'til May so who knows what it'll sound like. There's a clip of another tune at the warp records site. Going to see them play some more at the Scala next week ...

Edit: It's taken me 20 minutes to realise it is May.

Fuck.

Alzheimer's.

arem: Pimp of the Year was one of my favourite records from last year - I didn't realise they'd put out another one so soon after that! Would love to see these guys live, the vids on YouTube are pretty damn good.

Some other records I like this year -

Avril Lavigne - The Best Damn Thing

New Buffalo - Somewhere, Anywhere

Cortney Tidwell - Don't Let Stars Keep Us Tangled Up

Siobhan Donaghy - Ghosts

Marnie Stern - In Advance Of The Broken Arm

Just realised that list is all women... I reckon the Wilco and Joakim albums are both improvements on their previous ones (although not up to their best work). Love the couple of tracks I've heard from The Twilight Sads too.

Dungen - Tio Bitar

The Cribs - Mens Needs, Womens Needs, Whatever

Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future

Yeah the new Bloc Party album sucked. You should listen to some of their B-tracks and bonus tracks. A lot of them are way better then the album. I'm just gonna hang back and wait for their next album in a couple years.

I reckon the Wilco and Joakim albums are both improvements on their previous ones

It took me months to fully get into it but I'd say A Ghost Is Born is on par with Being There and YHF (their best IMO). The new one was WAAAAAY too soft rock for me, but that could change in the next couple months, heh.

Atlas isn't a true reflection of Battles' output so far, but the new record isn't around publicly 'til May so who knows what it'll sound like. There's a clip of another tune at the warp records site. Going to see them play some more at the Scala next week ...

I got a hold of the album like a month ago, I think it's fantastic. Atlas is pretty representative of the direction this album moved in, I assure you. I personally think it's their best work to date. Enjoy the show, I envy you.

Dungen - Tio Bitar

The Cribs - Mens Needs, Womens Needs, Whatever

Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future

Yeah the new Bloc Party album sucked. You should listen to some of their B-tracks and bonus tracks. A lot of them are way better then the album. I'm just gonna hang back and wait for their next album in a couple years.

Wait, there's a new Dungen album? Exciting.

Hieroglyphics - Over Time

maroon 5 - it wont be soon before long

mark ronson - the vision

travis - the boy with no name

james morrison - undiscovered (even though it was released online in 06)

cant think of anything else but there are others that escape me