2007's Best Albums So Far

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lifetime - Self-Titled

The One AM Radio - This Too Will Pass

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour (just leaked!)

Marduk - ROM 5:12

I'm sure once Darkthrone - FOAD comes out, it will blow all of those away, though.

From youth crew and pop punk to black metal? You have weird taste in music (like me).

The more the better. There is something good from every genre. Except southern rap.

If you haven't heard that One AM Radio album yet, give it a shot. Awesome electronic-inflected singer-songwriter folk/indie. "The Hum of the Electic Air!" is also fantastic. I've seen him/them four times and have always been blown away. On tour in a little while. http://www.theoneamradio.com

The more the better. There is something good from every genre. Except southern rap.

If you haven't heard that One AM Radio album yet, give it a shot. Awesome electronic-inflected singer-songwriter folk/indie. "The Hum of the Electic Air!" is also fantastic. I've seen him/them four times and have always been blown away. On tour in a little while. http://www.theoneamradio.com

i haven't seen him in so long. used to see him play basements in new england before he left for the west coast

I think the second time I saw him was on his moving trip from Massachusetts to California. I'm seeing him again on the 28th, and this will be the first time I've seen him that won't be in someone's basement. Incredibly nice guy and incredibly good music.

okay my top 5 of this year so far, in no particular order

hissing fauna, are you the destroyer? - of montreal

ga ga ga ga ga - spoon

no shouts, no calls - electrelane

kala - M.I.A.

tuff teef - i heart hiroshima (this local Brisbane bands debut - so awesome, you guys should definitely check them out if given the chance!)

saying that though, i still have to hear alot of the releases this year like okkervil river, frog eyes, etc.

It's not technically out yet. The release date is late September, I believe, but a leak of the completed recordings is floating around the internet.

Shit is good. Real good. There's only one weak song on the album, "Relative Surplus Value," but it's still on-par with Fallow and Left and Leaving, and loads better than Reconstruction Site. I'm led to believe that the last song, "Utilities," was actually recorded in the same session as Reconstruction Site, but it would easily stomp nearly all of the songs that made it onto that release. The centre part of the album ("Tournament of Hearts" to "Bigfoot") is probably the best streak of songs the Weakerthans have ever had. Hopefully they press this album on decent vinyl, unlike the first two.

• 1 month later...

les savy fav - let's stay friends forever

the fiery furnaces - widow city

marissa nadler - songs III: bird on the water

this show is the rainbow - gymnasia

the good life - help wanted nights

art in manila - set the woods on fire

dog day - night group

boat - let's drag our feet

future of the left - curses

aesop rock - none shall pass

attractive and popular - money equals magic