Alexandre Plokhov for Uniqlo

From men.style

plokhozuniqlo.jpg

May 2, 2007—When Alexandre Plokhov announced he was shuttering Cloak back in December, there was double cause for concern—not only was New York losing one of its more adventurous labels, but what was to become of the lower-price line the designer was set to do for Uniqlo?</I> We're happy to report the latter went ahead according to plan, and turns out to have been well worth the wait. The capsule collection includes jeans, button-downs, and shorts, but our favorite items are Plokhov's cotton polos, which sport smartly truncated collars, button-down breast pockets, and epaulet-evoking detailing on the shoulders (apropos for a military man–turned-designer). While fans of Uniqlo's playful approach to color may be disappointed at the muted palette, the Russian-born designer says his blacks, grays, and whites pay homage to his adopted hometown. "I wanted it to be like a postcard from New York," he says, while also characterizing the line as "Cloak's cousin from Japan." The collaboration marks Plokhov's first foray into mass-produced fashion. (While Cloak had about five staffers, he notes Uniqlo has five "just to choose the buttons.") And happily it won't be his last experience with a deep-pocketed partner. Since March, he's been consulting on Versace menswear. "It's been surprisingly easy and invigorating and liberating at the same time," he says of the Spring 2008 collection, which is set to debut in Milan on June 23. Haven't gotten our seat assignments yet, but at least we know what we'll be wearing.

http://men.style.com/news/style/050207

Don't know if anyone else is interested but I certainly am. If there is anyone near a Uniqlo that is willing to pick up a few things for me I'd be forever in debt.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely gonna get a shitload of shirts.

I'm sure they're going to sell pretty quickly so yeah, it great when they have a certain day of release so I would waiting out the store just before opening time.

They're already in stores. Read the other thread man

• 2 weeks later...
^^ With Mickey D's and other American fast food changing the diets of the Japanese...they probably are.

sorry but i beg to differ. japanese have grown taller and bigger but still it doesnt warranty producing smallest at 32. correct me if i am wrong, but europeans are not very big as well eh, vs americans...and now that uniqlo has ventured out of japan, this could be because it is trying to cater to the international market? i dont think it is valid, but still it doesnt make sense, 32 is big.

anyway, getting back to topic, i just ordered online and it will be delivered to me this sat.. i will then check and see if they are any good.

i love cloak but am somehow surprised alexandre is now overseeing versace menswear.

I just recieved the black vest today and the quality is amazing. It looks and feels like a cloak piece, the stichwork is perfect. Extremely happy, I think I am going to order some more off the website as well, rather than waiting for New York on the 25th. Sell out quickly you think?

glad you like your vest, but i am not really a vest person, so i pass on that. what else did you order?

it will sell out soon i think. when i ordered, already colors and sizes arent complete.

i think uniqlo after failing to hit success with the first season of their 'designers invitation project', they have realigned the marketing, with limiting it to certain stores, hence limiting availability/ accessibility. this seems to work; the harder it is for people to lay their hands on, the more they will want it.

Did you order your stuff to america from a japanese proxy service? sorry if this is something obvious...

i'm gettin it shipped to singapore using a conciege service.

everything else is fine except the name part

concierge as in like American Express Centurion (Black) card concierge?

wow. just buy the real deal if you can have a black card...

yea but on the site the waist is 31 inches

i also dont see any jeans.. just trouser looking things

The trouser looking things = Jeans

They are called DI stretch skinny jeans

http://store.uniqlo.com/L4/getitem.asp?hdnItemMngCD=u52118

conciege is prob the wrong term

haha

more like a service by singapore post

gives u a japanese address to send to

then only charges u for the shipping back to singapore

u settle the local shipping and cost of item urself

Is this expected to sell out like the viktor rolf at hm?

i doubt it, at least not in japan, uniqlo didnt have much success with the designers invitation project somehow. the recent ones like 3.1 philip lim is doing fine and i think so is plokhov, but japanese dont seem to appreciate it such spin offs as much as the folks in the west. i would love to see the reaction in ny though.

incidentally, quality viktor n rolf for h&m is actually not too bad, i got the shoes from london the first day it was launched (man, was it a long queue!) and a coat (and some undies which i gave to my friends as souvenirs) which i can foresee myself wearing it for a few more couple of seasons.

ps. the kate moss for topshop will be launching in tokyo may 25.