Hot gay action

I dont think Moscow is the most gayfriendly city...judging from the recent Pride Parade beat down. (Although Pride Parades are so cheesy....I was a one in Australia with a Gay Mens Chorus singing broadway tunes and even I felt like getting out a baseball bat...) But you know, Brazil can be a violent against our man-lovin brothers too, and yet the clubs are great. I think Moscow would be a great gay city to party in (if you are rich) rather than than a great gay city to live. I mean Stockholm and Oslo are probably among the most gayfriendly cities but from what I hear their gay scenes as such are zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Whereas Bangkok or Sydney or London seem to have the best of both worlds

I dont think Moscow is the most gayfriendly city...judging from the recent Pride Parade beat down. (Although Pride Parades are so cheesy....I was a one in Australia with a Gay Mens Chorus singing broadway tunes and even I felt like getting out a baseball bat...) But you know, Brazil can be a violent against our man-lovin brothers too, and yet the clubs are great. I think Moscow would be a great gay city to party in (if you are rich) rather than than a great gay city to live. I mean Stockholm and Oslo are probably among the most gayfriendly cities but from what I hear their gay scenes as such are zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Whereas Bangkok or Sydney or London seem to have the best of both worlds

well i don't think you could compare anti-gay violence in Rio to a "Pride Parade beat-down" like you said (i didn't even know about that), it's more isolated incidents. a few weeks ago in Niterói, across the bay from Rio, a gay couple was attacked on their way to the local pride parade. but the big parade in Copacabana each year is totally safe. supposedly the one in São Paulo is even bigger, though i haven't been.

i agree about partying rich in Moscow. but it would be annoying to be drunk at 4am and feel like you couldn't make out, you know?

gay men's choruses make me a little bit nauseous, too. and i'm even a singer. it was funny when i was in a community choir a few years ago, and most of the men were gay, but also ADAMANTLY anti-gay-mens-chorus.

I read somewhere that one gay man is murdered every day in Brazil though. I remember when I was in Rio - this was years ago - it was all in the press that a bunch of ghetto jiujitsu gangs were warning people they were gonna attack the Banda da Ipanema, the gay Carnival street party in Ipanema. I went though, and it was all fine. Those dudes were all talk.

But I also remember friends being nervous about leaving gay clubs and warnings not to go out alone because of some serial killer who was stalking the city's homos. He went out up to guys leaving clubs and said something really twisted, I think it was "wake up darling ,the dream is over". And then shot them in the face.

Brazil can be kinda hardcore.

Having said that, I'd go back in a minute...especially if The Week in Rio has a pool party....mmmm...hot wet danger.....

I read somewhere that one gay man is murdered every day in Brazil though. I remember when I was in Rio - this was years ago - it was all in the press that a bunch of ghetto jiujitsu gangs were warning people they were gonna attack the Banda da Ipanema, the gay Carnival street party in Ipanema. I went though, and it was all fine. Those dudes were all talk.

But I also remember friends being nervous about leaving gay clubs and warnings not to go out alone because of some serial killer who was stalking the city's homos. He went out up to guys leaving clubs and said something really twisted, I think it was "wake up darling ,the dream is over". And then shot them in the face.

Brazil can be kinda hardcore.

Having said that, I'd go back in a minute...especially if The Week in Rio has a pool party....mmmm...hot wet danger.....

dude whenever The Week's pool party opens you can be sure i'll be writing about it on here, if not posting pics. i'm actually just back from a night out there (it's a holiday in Brazil today, independece day). you can follow this read with a post on the "drunk" thread in supertrash. pool is not yet open but the club is still full of hot men.

and you're right, Brazil is WAY hard core, and not in a good, "cool" way either, that's one of the sucky things about living here. oh, well. although i have never heard anything about a gay serial killer, but i haven't been here that long so go figure. that said, serial killers are in no way unique to this country. need i remind us of, for example, the Beltway (Washington, DC) sniper of 2002?! how fucking scary was that?!

PS no ill will intended, but supposed "statistics" like "one gay man is killed in Brazil every day" really piss me off. i mean, where do they fucking get that shit. how do they know if the murderees here are gay or straight?

• 4 months later...