Pete Doherty - Icon or Accidental Star?

jeepster

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Pulp, Suede, and Blur are shit. So what? Kind of stupid making an argument based on fact that those bands hated Oasis. Big fucking surprise when Oasis hates everyone around them, just makes sense that everyone else will hate them too. Doh.

There's enough people who will tell you that Soundgarden was far more revolutionary and talented than Nirvana (including me), but that doesn't change the fact that Nirvana redefined music.

Luck's always involved, but these bands don't do music that you can simply feed to the masses like Britney Spears, no matter the amount of hype and publicity—there has to be something more.

(BTW plenty of good artists/singers have SHIT taste in music...)

I think Pulp, Suede, and Blur are shit. So what? Kind of stupid making an argument based on fact that those bands hated Oasis. Big fucking surprise when Oasis hates everyone around them, just makes sense that everyone else will hate them too. Doh.

There's enough people who will tell you that Soundgarden was far more revolutionary and talented than Nirvana (including me), but that doesn't change the fact that Nirvana redefined music.

Luck's always involved, but these bands don't do music that you can simply feed to the masses like Britney Spears, no matter the amount of hype and publicity—there has to be something more.

(BTW plenty of good artists/singers have SHIT taste in music...)

so you are saying its pure happenstance that doherty has become so reknown?

or you couldve said yes.

I never said it's pure coincidence he became so famous... I just said that right now he's the guy that dates Kate Moss and has drug problem, to most people. That doesn't make him a "star" (accidental or not), which is what you were asking for.

Regardless of that, to me he's a brilliant musician and that's all I really care about.

I never said it's pure coincidence he became so famous... I just said that right now he's the guy that dates Kate Moss and has drug problem, to most people. That doesn't make him a "star" (accidental or not), which is what you were asking for.

Regardless of that, to me he's a brilliant musician and that's all I really care about.

i feel about the same. theres a certain noteriety that comes along with dating the most photographed woman alive, and having a drug problem on top of it. but yes, he is a very talented musician. im just trying to clarify whether most people see him as just a media distraction or a legit star in his own right. its hard to even separate the two considering his celebrity, but also his celebrity girlfriend.

any word on the follow up to the blinding EP?