Pete Doherty - Icon or Accidental Star?

jeepster

Well, I love the Libertines, and I have some love for Dirty Pretty Things and Babyshambles - but really, is Pete Doherty an icon, or an accidental star? His song writing prowess is deep and vast, but are his drug addictions going to end up turning him into a glass of orange juice* or will he overcome them and return strong with more well constructed thoughtful songs? Was he really meant to become such a star, or was it just a matter of coincidence due to his taste in women (which is generally abhorent..), or is there something behind the heroin and crack? I had this conversation with my brother whose a devotee and he akins Mr. Doherty to a later-day Oscar Wilde, if not more theatric in his consumption exploits - what say you SuFu'ers? Icon or Accidental Star?

IpeJFVvwz6A

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I love the Libertines, and I have some love for Dirty Pretty Things and Babyshambles - but really, is Pete Doherty an icon, or an accidental star? His song writing prowess is deep and vast, but are his drug addictions going to end up turning him into a glass of orange juice* or will he overcome them and return strong with more well constructed thoughtful songs? Was he really meant to become such a star, or was it just a matter of coincidence due to his taste in women (which is generally abhorent..), or is there something behind the heroin and crack? I had this conversation with my brother whose a devotee and he akins Mr. Doherty to a later-day Oscar Wilde, if not more theatric in his consumption exploits - what say you SuFu'ers? Icon or Accidental Star?

FUCK PETE DOHERTY...BABYSHAMBLES BLOWS...HE RUINED THE LIBERTINES(YES IM TYPING IN CAPS...)

he's bringing danger and style back into rock and roll so i support him whole heartedly

Danger? What exactly is the danger, that he might overdose and die? When I think danger in R&R I think fucking The Jesus Lizard, David Yow drunkenly tearing off his clothes and fist-fighting with the audience until the whole thing erupts into a fight between anyone and everyone, not some skinny wanker passing out from drugs. I don't remember when "Style" was really a thing missing from "Rock & Roll" these days anyway, since honestly it's all most modern bands have going for them anyway: cold, empty and meaningless "style."

edit: got your back, SoS. Have I told you that I love your avatar recently?

Icon, Accidental Star? Ffs, I can count the number of Libertines, Babyshambles, and PDT fans on my one hand... I love the first two bands, but come on... they're just not that big. Yes, Pete was like on every cover of every gossip magazine in the past year, but that doesn't make him famous or important, it just makes him the guy who dates Kate Moss.

Regardless of that I think he has an amazing talent, which has nothing to do with drugs, if anything drugs are stopping him from writing more amazing stuff.

(And, yeah, I'm a huge fan...)

I don't remember when "Style" was really a thing missing from "Rock & Roll" these days anyway, since honestly it's all most modern bands have going for them anyway: cold, empty and meaningless "style."

do you remember anything between 1989 and 2000?

i think rockstars need to be rockstars i dont' want them saving the world and helping the homeless i want them shooting heroin and getting arrested.

i think rockstars need to be rockstars i dont' want them saving the world and helping the homeless i want them shooting heroin and getting arrested.

And that is one of the reasons why we don't have good rock 'n roll anymore.

And that is one of the reasons why we don't have good rock 'n roll anymore.

so when kieth richards did it he ruined rock and roll from there on out. or hey even elvis taking pills ruined it for everyone since him rock and roll was shit?>

so when kieth richards did it he ruined rock and roll from there on out. or hey even elvis taking pills ruined it for everyone since him rock and roll was shit?>

Seriously? They are dead, so in turn, not making any more music. This, to me, is a bad thing.

I personally would much rather see artists alive making music than banging hookers and shooting 8balls, but hey, that's just me.

Seriously? They are dead, so in turn, not making any more music. This, to me, is a bad thing.

I personally would much rather see artists alive making music than banging hookers and shooting 8balls, but hey, that's just me.

seriously...

he's pretty?

yeah i was gonna say... he's not considered much of a looker. i think theres talent somewhere in him, and the blinding EP shines a bit of light on it - but honestly, he's a trainwreck, and the tabloids love it. but you can't argue that he brought a sort of poise back to rock early on, plus he was and still is fairly fashion forward when he's not junked out. the libertines are known for bringing a certain style of dress back and updating it even further - mod meets punk i've heard it described as - pretty while still dirty and dark. i love the libertines, and DPT and babyshambles have their moments, but there are times when i feel that doherty's talent (albeit hidden and or sedated by heroin) is overshadowed by his relationship with kate moss (who i hate. a lot.). if he could get his act together i'm sure we could see a drastic improvement in all fields from him

There's a different between the "cold, emtpy and meaningless" style of our modern day imitators, wearing the clothes given to them by Dior Homme and the "greats" of which you speak. If you look at the other part of my post, David Yow had style. Keith Richards had style. They didn't have to go into the Dior Homme boutique to have their style sold to them by a designer with a fetish for the skinny, either.

There's a different between the "cold, emtpy and meaningless" style of our modern day imitators, wearing the clothes given to them by Dior Homme and the "greats" of which you speak. If you look at the other part of my post, David Yow had style. Keith Richards had style. They didn't have to go into the Dior Homme boutique to have their style sold to them by a designer with a fetish for the skinny, either.

the stones had their entire wardrobes tailored specifically for them by some of the top designers of the last 60's, 70's up until recently when they got their wardrobe done by dior homme. Doherty and that whole english scene for the most part was dressing like that before slimane came in and used them as insipration for dior, the only difference was before they were doing it themselves and now they have a little help

Despite Doherty's stardom...is anyone aware that he has won poetry awards throughout his life? The man is a wreck, but his music and lyrics truly are something refreshing to come into the media. The Libertines are a brokenhearted Buzzcocks style of band (I say are, because they ARE back together), something which had died in the mainstream a while back. And correct me if i am wrong, but Pete's style actually influenced Slimane to make some of the rock and roll outfits he created. Hedi clothed him almost in appreciation, he admired the cracked out boy.

I'm late to the party on the whole "babyshambles" fad, I just heard the album for the first time a month ago... I like it, it's not bad but it's not legendary either.

"All the great themes have been used up and turned into theme parks" - Pump Up The Volume (1988) and here we are in a generation where "punk rock" is supposedly defined by hack bands like Good Charlotte and "cutting edge" is a walking trainwreck of a Brit who flaunts chain-smoking, narcotics abuse and $200 skinny black ties...kinda in the same way we in the USA have turned Paris Hilton, Puff Daddy and Brittany Spears, who flaunt their shallow recklessness and money-lust, into teen role models.

The next generation is just going to look back at this and laugh the same way we laugh at people who worshipped the Partidge Family as true rock and roll. I fucking hate U2 but Bono has made more of an impact in music than Doherty ever will, people are already starting to forget who he is.

Guest itsmeJT
I'm late to the party on the whole "babyshambles" fad, I just heard the album for the first time a month ago... I like it, it's not bad but it's not legendary either.

"All the great themes have been used up and turned into theme parks" - Pump Up The Volume (1988) and here we are in a generation where "punk rock" is supposedly defined by hack bands like Good Charlotte and "cutting edge" is a walking trainwreck of a Brit who flaunts chain-smoking, narcotics abuse and $200 skinny black ties...kinda in the same way we in the USA have turned Paris Hilton, Puff Daddy and Brittany Spears, who flaunt their shallow recklessness and money-lust, into teen role models.

The next generation is just going to look back at this and laugh the same way we laugh at people who worshipped the Partidge Family as true rock and roll. I fucking hate U2 but Bono has made more of an impact in music than Doherty ever will, people are already starting to forget who he is.

amazing how you can miss the point of his music. nobody listens to him because he smokes or does 'narcotics'.

how you can even compare him to your own homemade abortions is sickening

who cares if you yanks forget him you're all a lost cause anyway