japan :: osaka :: general

dexter

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:

Osaka is one of my favorite cities! Lots of capsule hotels and cheap places in the southwest. Check out the hotels near club i-to-i, easily the BEST club in all OSAKA. Hip-hop is gangsta there! Doberman Inc, D-ST Entertainment, etc. The place produces the best hip-hop acts/groups in all Japan. Plus the import scene there is straight fire. People are waaay friendly, mostly cuz Kansai-jins are just like that. Kanto-jin have more the jerk factor. Although the girls tend to be louder and more aggressive than Tokyo girls. Plus, Hanshin Tigers! Ah man, I need to go back there....

--- Original message by djrajio on Nov 18, 2005 05:00 AM

Dude are you white cus me and my family have experienced nothing but the opposite. From what we've seen if they think you're from Tokyo, or Kyushu(They can tell by the way you speak or dress), people are just straight up assholes. And we have friends and family in Osaka and they all said that people are just like that in general to "outsiders." I guess Osaka people in general have a different mindset than the rest of Japan. Like I one friend from Osaka who thinks it's rude that Tokyo people won't reveal how much they make when asked that question.

Uh. no. I studied in Kyoto university for a semester last spring. And I'm Asian. Based on my experience Kansai people are way friendlier than Kanto. But alas, there are assholes anywhere you go. I don't think its location specific.

Quote: The best thing to do is go to a JTB there. I went to Osaka and they hooked me up in some crazy nice business hotel right in the heart of everything and it was super cheap. We came from Tokyo with no reservations and they hooked it up on the spot. I highly recommend it.

Absolutely the same thing happened to me In Hiroshima. I ws travelling on a rail pass for a couple months and I'd been staying in Capsules and Ryokans since I left Tokyo, but hooked up with a girl who came and met me in Hiroshima. I got there a day early to do all the tourist stuff and went to the JTB at the station office the day before to ask about somewhere cheap to stay that night, but mentionedin conversation that my lady friend was joining me the next day and I'd want somewhere a bit plush to stay when she arrived. When she did arrive the next day, we went back and found that without asking me or taking any deposits the woman on the desk had left reservations for me at a place, so we headed over and ended up with a beautiful room in a incredible boutique hotel for ¥5000 a night.

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys,

i'm in Osaka.¡@¢Ò¢÷¡@¢ý¡@¢ó¢ö¢÷£@¡@¢ü¢ð¢í¡@¢ö¢é¢õ¢í¢û¡@¢÷¢î¡@¢ü¢ð¢í¡@¢û¢ü¢ú¢í¢í¢ü¢û¡@£@¢ð¢í¢ú¢í¡@¢ñ¡@¢ë¢é¢ö¡@¢î¢ñ¢ö¢ì¡@¢ü¢ð¢í¡@¢û¢ð¢÷¢ø¢û¡@¢õ¢í¢ö¢ü¢ñ¢÷¢ö¢í¢ì¡@¢é¢ê¢÷¢þ¢í¡H

¢â¢ð¢é¢ö¢ó¢û¡I

• 2 months later...
Quote:

thanks for the tip... do you remember what booklet was called? i guess it should be pretty easy to spot. any cultural recommendations? osaka castly maybe, though i hear it really isn't that great.

--- Original message by vinc3 on Feb 28, 2006 11:24 AM

Eat okonomiyaki and takoyaki... osaka is known for that stuff..

Dun remember what it's called... You'll spot it easily though. Small pocket sized booklet. Found it in Hysteric Glamour.

Around the corner of the huge APPLE store, you'll find this cafe called Planet 3-d. Great place, food and service.

Recommend:

Take a train to this town called Mino. Right next to the Mino station, look up and you'll see the Mino hotel up on the mountain. Try hiking up 3.6 km to the top to see a huge natural waterfall. There's also a public Onsen (hot springs) in the hotel.

Check out this video I made on the way there on the train.

http://2manydesigners.net/japan.htm

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i guess you means Kansai airport since i believe Osaka airport is not used for international flight anymore. the airport in built on a man made island in the middle of the bay so there is no hotel next to the airport (according to my memory and the airport's website). your best bet would be to take the train till naeba station and then get a hotel there. there will be hundreds of choices within your price range

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
osaka is really great compared to tokyo. everyone is friendly, and people even make eye contact with you on the train!

for shopping, check out amerika-mura (america village) for all the osaka kids, umeda, shinsaibashi, and namba. all the regular shops are scattered around.

make sure you eat okonomiyake and tako-yaki. i am addicted to okonomiyake sauce.

for hotels, i just found business hotels in some of the interesting areas. easy to find.

and if you are going to osaka, make sure you make a day trip to kyoto. it really is stunning.

english is everywhere.

osaka is easy to get around.... not as crazy as tokyo.

you could almost walk everywhere.

i like osaka.

quoted for truth.

for hotels- stay in love hotels! i offered to help make osaka maps awhile back- there was no response - i guess they had them made already.

good thread, im currently deciding whether to push for my art scholarship in tokyo or osaka, in many ways im thinking osaka!

any more info on the wonderful city?

i know shit loads about tokyo, but stil in the dark with its counterpart.

whats a good residential area to look for apartment in?

thanks

osaka! i liked osaka a lot more than i liked tokyo - people were friendlier, the city has a better atmosphere, you can bike/walk around the city easily, shopping was better...

i was lucky enough to squat in someone's place for a month so i didn't really do an apt. search - but basically anything around/inside the loop line would be fine - i stayed in taisho and i could bike to umeda, namba, shinsaibaishi, etc.

cons: transportation is more expensive than tokyo (so walk/bike instead).

awesome!

i was going to get a push-bike in tokyo anyway, but i guess it'd be more handy in osaka..

could you give me the low down on the decent areas there? the district names so i can figure out the proximities i need and stuff?

thanks mate..

t..

p.s. jacket?

osaka! i liked osaka a lot more than i liked tokyo - people were friendlier, the city has a better atmosphere, you can bike/walk around the city easily, shopping was better...

i was lucky enough to squat in someone's place for a month so i didn't really do an apt. search - but basically anything around/inside the loop line would be fine - i stayed in taisho and i could bike to umeda, namba, shinsaibaishi, etc.

cons: transportation is more expensive than tokyo (so walk/bike instead).