japan :: osaka :: general

dexter

• 4 weeks later...

yo dudes, i'm staying in osaka now, teaching english. looking at a map of where the uni is that'll be a pretty far commute but doable.

i've been here for 8 months now and will probably be here at least another year. hit me up when you guys get into town. i've gotten to know the lay of the land pretty well. i stay in namba and here and shinsaibashi are pretty much the place to be. umeda isn't bad as well tho.

whiskey, i think we've met before. i used to work at blends w/ edwin.

ah hey vince.. cool yeah, drop me a pm with your contact and ill store it for the move :)

i was thinking of staying kishi or shinsaibashi... i mean.. kishi must be ok as the majority of the local population in my agegroup will be art [related] students too..

but.. shinsaibashi will obviously also have its perks ;)

i was thinking tennoji also, as its the stop ill need to change at from shinsai-kishi, but i might aswell just go that extra bit to get to shinsaibashi.. any views on tenoji?

cheers mate

T

yo dudes, i'm staying in osaka now, teaching english. looking at a map of where the uni is that'll be a pretty far commute but doable.

i've been here for 8 months now and will probably be here at least another year. hit me up when you guys get into town. i've gotten to know the lay of the land pretty well. i stay in namba and here and shinsaibashi are pretty much the place to be. umeda isn't bad as well tho.

whiskey, i think we've met before. i used to work at blends w/ edwin.

That's pretty much exactly what I want to do, man.

PM sent, I have some questions.

Oh yea I've definitely met you at Blends before

-B

tennoji is cool, it's a bit grimier than shinsaibashi so rent would probably be cheaper but it's still pretty convenient to everything. it's a pretty quick bike ride from tennoji to namba/shinsaibashi.

tennoji also has japan's last 'traditional red light district' Tobita...

its a bit longer than 5 mins... even by bike... maybe more like 10-15 depending on traffic... unless you're hauling ass.

but to be honest... i can't really speak on your commute too much cause i dont even know where kishi is....

• 6 months later...

here's a quick stream of though...

hmmm not sure where the biggest uniqlo store is, but there is one near amemura...

as for the other brands you were looking for, those are around that area as well. just try to walk as far away from the trashy shit and you should find nice clothing stores. similar to harajuku i'd say. even an apc outlet, though that seems to be an oxymoron.

i think studio d'artisan is based in amemura, though i could be wrong, so if you want good jeans you can go there. unfortunately they do not know what chainstitching is though. plus osaka is denim heaven so shouldn't be too hard to find quality shite.

have fun in osaka, and by all means grab some takoyaki and okonomiyaki, and buy a hanshin tigers souvenir.

• 4 months later...

Bump post-

Guys I'm heading out to Osaka in a week and could use some help. Thomas and Whiskey did you guys end up moving out to Osaka in the end? I'm looking for goth ninja shops and so far i've heard of:

Instinct by Midwest in Umeda

Gordini in Horie

Jet Park Avatara in Minamorie

Wallace and Murron in Horie

Space Osaka

Dress Council Archive

oh and since Kyoto is so close-

The Bloc building

Bullet

(both off mindtrive)

did I leave anything out?

Also aside from shops, I'm also looking for local food. Ramen, okonomiyaki, curry, ton katsu etc. Any suggestions?

I actually just got back from Osaka a couple of days ago. What everyone else is saying regarding getting around is very true. The city is much more manageable than Tokyo, and it's better to walk since the train is a bit more expensive. Shinsaibashi, Namba, Umeda and America Mura all have good shopping. I unfortunately didn't make it out to Horie, but I hear it's pretty good.

As far as transportation goes, unlike Tokyo all signs are in English, and they'll announce the stops in English as well. It is consequently a lot easier for someone without any japanese background to get around.

There are a lot of business hotels around the areas mentioned that have very reasonable rates. I stayed at Azu Garden in Nipponbashi (http://www.azu-garden.co.jp/english.html). The accommodations were very reasonably priced, you're literally three minutes from Nipponbashi station, and easily within walking distance of all the Dotonbori restaurants, America Mura, Shinsaibashi, etc. They also have a kitchen area if you're poor and want to make your food, and include breakfast in most packages.

Osaka is a lot of fun and definitely gives a different vibe than tokyo. You should check it out if possible. And the kyoto day trip is well worth taking. Kobe is also worth visiting if you have the time.

The dotonbori area in shinsaibashi is a big tourist attraction. There are a lot of traditional style japanese restaurants there, and the iconic glico sign, among other things. You can check out den den town in southern nipponbashi if you want akihabara-style electronics, and the big ferris wheel in umeda is cool to ride.

Having lived in Osaka for over a year now, I can say that I like it just as much, if not more than Tokyo. Initially, I had a ton of trepidation over moving here as opposed to Tokyo, where I always envisioned I would live. It has turned out to be a really good decision. People are nice, less English for better immersion, city is easily navigated, good night life, etc.

As for restaurants, clubs, shops, etc.

Restaurants - Jinen in Shinsaibashi for sushi, Haru no Hana near Utsubo Koen for Okonomiaki, Earth Cafe on Utsubo Koen for Japano/Italian Fusion

Shops - Orange Street in Horie, various shops around Triangle Park in Ameura, Beems on Mido-suji, Commes store attached to Yodobashi Camera in Umeda, denim at Hanoya near Loft in Umeda

Clubs - Onzieme on Midosuji for all kinds of stuff (my events are there) www.onzi-eme.com (good on Wednesdays and Saturdays in particular), Triangle for techno/electro/dnb, Grand Cafe for house and dancehall (on Sundays I think), Joule for super painful japano cyber trance ;), Club Azure for hip hop (particularly on Saturdays)

Don:t forget the Yabafo ride in the Namba hips building. A bit silly, but a fun drop style thrill ride for ¥500.

db

Hey guys the info above is awesome, but let's get some more down for Osaka. In particular because I will be going there for a week in June so I've got to do everything in as little time as possible!

Anyone else have any more good restaurants? (The cheaper the better... I'm a student) Or any more specific stores for clothing? Do they actually sell Uniqlo everywhere as I've heard? How much do things cost in general in Japan? Trains, hostels, clothing, food etc...? Any specific things that should definitely be done while in Osaka? Sites to see, places to go, things to do? Yah... Oh so many questions.

uhm...don't have the specifics on hand but outside amemura there'll be a two story uniqlo as well as a good amount of high end fashions.

there's a hysteric glamour, apc, apc outlet, neighborhood...

check out king kong records if you stop by amemura.

message me for specifics.

• 3 months later...

Refreshing this thread. I'm going out to Japan late September, and was wondering if anyone had anything to add to this thread- It looks like there is some great denim shopping (Hinoya, Warehouse, Evisu), and tremendous amounts of food to be eaten as well. Any new or reinforcing recommends would be appreciated! We are staying in Shinsaibashi, so that looks to be a plus immediately.

I'm really looking forward to this trip. We're also spending a good amount of time in Tokyo (we've been there once already), and we'll be riding the Shinkansen for the first time!

stayed for four days a couple days ago. A friend showed me around so I don't know many details but I remember shinsaibashi, namba, umeda and minamiehorie were all worth checking out. I bought a pair of samurai's at Aikido in Umeda. They have a small but decent selection; eternal 811's, samurai 510xx, s5000VX, 710's and a couple other models. I think they had momotaro as well but i'm not sure.

I remember the food was better than tokyo though

Refreshing this thread. I'm going out to Japan late September, and was wondering if anyone had anything to add to this thread- It looks like there is some great denim shopping (Hinoya, Warehouse, Evisu), and tremendous amounts of food to be eaten as well. Any new or reinforcing recommends would be appreciated! We are staying in Shinsaibashi, so that looks to be a plus immediately.

I'm really looking forward to this trip. We're also spending a good amount of time in Tokyo (we've been there once already), and we'll be riding the Shinkansen for the first time!

I'm moving to Tokyo on Sunday, if you like you can pm me when you come there and hopefully I can give you advice or show you around. Clubs and stores is my first priority to check out.

• 3 months later...

minami (namba) + Umeda in Osaka will get you pretty busy just roamin around checking out the shops. If youre going out there also, make sure you visit Kyoto. There's a osaka thread created a while back with more detailed info. was going to link you,but i cant find it. i think 4.0 destroyed it..

Headed there for a holiday...

whats the low down on the place?

what's good?

food-wise you'll want to check out some good okonomiyaki, some ramen shops, and obviously takoyaki.

when you headed up there?

i've been meaning to do an extensive post on osaka and kyoto complete with google map tags, but i'm in the middle of finals and have law schools apps. due in a few weeks.