japan :: osaka :: general

dexter

def shinsaibashi area.

if you are ok with semi-peasant mode, the best western in Higashi Shinsaibashi (almost next to Nagahoridori Station) is super easy/cheap/good.  expect tiny rooms and Japanese cruise ship style bathrooms though.

i ended up booking this haha.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If sightseeing is what you're after then you'll basically be done in Osaka in a day anyway, but regardless of that yes Nara is worth the trip. The combination of the deer, the temple on the mountain and the Buddha statue is simply great. Hell, I've seen it 10 times by now and I still keep on going back. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Pretty suave looking place, will check it out! Thanks.

My first time in Osaka, any must check out places for shopping?

Shinsaibashi and Minami-Horie have a lot of different stores, and Umeda has some bigger department stores that might be worth checking out. I really enjoyed Shinsaibashi though.

Going to be in Osaka 7 days in March, planning on using it as a base for the area. Was looking at Nara and Kobe as day trips, but is there anything else I should be looking at? Sakai, Nishinomiya, Hirakata? Any help is appreciated.

I've also got 4 days in Kyoto after, thinking about Otsu as a side trip.

Edited by altemp

if you're doing touristy shit in kyoto daily bus passes hold good value. subway system was messy as shit ime

and if you go to kinkaku-ji try out kyoto style takoyaki. its right by the entrance where most of the busses drop you off. most memorable thing from my time in kyoto (tho tbh, didn't like it there much). 

i would go back to osaka for the food though.

Edited by Method

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Coming to Osaka. Any cool shit going on I shouldn't miss? Or restaurants/bars I shouldn't miss? Traveling alone, so anywhere people might be interested in striking up a conversation would be cool, but obviously not expected.

I've been to Osaka before and have been to Nara, Kyoto, and Arashiyama. Koya-san worth checking out for a day trip? Anywhere else?

6 hours ago, youkinorn2 said:

Coming to Osaka. Any cool shit going on I shouldn't miss? Or restaurants/bars I shouldn't miss? Traveling alone, so anywhere people might be interested in striking up a conversation would be cool, but obviously not expected.

I've been to Osaka before and have been to Nara, Kyoto, and Arashiyama. Koya-san worth checking out for a day trip? Anywhere else?

i would def recommend koya-san. place is unreal. it's a great day trip from osaka and back in the city for dinner and dranks

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/23/2020 at 1:31 AM, Mr.Sander said:

Anything exciting in Osaka in April 2020, hitting it late April (26th to the 8th of May. I've got many day trips planned, but happy to know about events etc.

I'm also interested to know, I'm in Japan from the 17th to 27th and was trying to figure out if I should go to Osaka for a couple of days. I was there for just 3 days in December and I liked it alot, but I don't know if there's much more to see outside of the Umeda-Shinsaibashi-Namba area.