japan :: osaka :: general

dexter

hey all,

headed to Osaka for a short vacation with family and didn't want to pass up the chance to acquire some local goodies. Does anyone have recommendations on what stores to hit? I know Samurai and SDA both have shops in the city but are they hard to find from the downtown area?

also - i'm assuming that the average Japanese store clerk won't have much in the way English language skills, so does anyone know what key phrases in Japanese I should try and memorize? e.g. what are the japanese terms for 'selvage', 'unsanforized', 'smaller/larger size', etc.

any assistance much appreciated !

sup osaka, turns out i'll be there for a lab research program from 4/1 - 8/1/13

i been reading through and i just wanted to announce to the world (the sufu world [the sufu japan world]) that I'll be in SUITA, most likely dorming around Osaka-U.

ANY suggestions are welcome! I know zero japanese. definitely a lot of things on my list to do, but i would love to meet up with someone or go chilling at the bentobox spot.

also trying to hit up kyoto, kobe, and tokyo, and possibly go on a ski trip (an exchange alumni said he went skiing)? i dunno.

• 1 month later...

I'm not in Osaka but I spent some time there. Drop me a line if you want any suggestions on nice cafes or anything like that. Other guys here are better with the fashion side of things. Hook up with Bento too! I plan to drop you a line Bento next time I come up to Kansai :)

Hi there,

I just saw this thread for the 1st time (I only move around superdenim).

I'm also living here in Osaka for 1 year and a half, and I'm loving it so far.

Are you guys going to the "A taste of Sónar in Osaka" event tonight?

http://www.zettai-mu.net/sonar-osaka/english.html

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

do clubs close before the last train? debating whether i should go to osk this weekend with classicmrip but hotels are absurdly expensive and they are mostly booked

• 2 weeks later...

Rolling to Osaka soon, what are the good clubs these days? I've been to Owl and Ongem (can't remember spelling) last time. Are the clubs still only open until 1 am?? Any recommendations? Also planning to visit some denim stores probably Samurai and Studio D'

artisan. Any more denim recommendations, thanks :) In addition, if anyone wants to party i'm down, i'll be ther june 26-Jul 1

Rolling to Osaka soon, what are the good clubs these days? I've been to Owl and Ongem (can't remember spelling) last time. Are the clubs still only open until 1 am?? Any recommendations? Also planning to visit some denim stores probably Samurai and Studio D'

artisan. Any more denim recommendations, thanks :) In addition, if anyone wants to party i'm down, i'll be ther june 26-Jul 1

I hit up Sam & Dave 2 one night and it was bumpin. Didn't really pop off until 2am though - no close time. It's not your typical club tho, more bar/club but still sick.

• 1 month later...

since i've never been, what's the 'best' (or most convenient) area to stay in osaka? 

def shinsaibashi area.

if you are ok with semi-peasant mode, the best western in Higashi Shinsaibashi (almost next to Nagahoridori Station) is super easy/cheap/good.  expect tiny rooms and Japanese cruise ship style bathrooms though.

def shinsaibashi area.

if you are ok with semi-peasant mode, the best western in Higashi Shinsaibashi (almost next to Nagahoridori Station) is super easy/cheap/good.  expect tiny rooms and Japanese cruise ship style bathrooms though.

i'm actually gonna give airbnb a go, but thanks for the heads up - most recommendations seem to be there or nanba.

club giraffe was kinda poppin one time i went.

club pure has got nomihoudai for 3000 jpy, but i didnt like that place much, did drink a lot

you can check out hinoya for denimz (walking distance from umeda station.)

• 2 weeks later...