japan :: osaka :: general

dexter

I would change it to 2 days Osaka and 8 in Tokyo if I could. I pretty much thought I saw most of Osaka in 2, maybe 3 days, and I was being led around by a local. Umeda, Namba, and Shinsaibashi are worth checking out. America-muro in Shinsaibashi is interesting. Eat a lot of food. Kyoto is 15 min away by train (I think it was around 500 yen for a ticket) so its close enough for a day trip.

edit: nvm, you're leaving tmrw. Look into kyoto for a day trip if possible.

seeing as you're visiting tokyo, i'd have to agree and say that you simply make the time in osaka at most 3 days. there isn't really much to see there that you can't get in tokyo, unless you really want to visit the place they make s.d.a. denimz.

rather than spend the rest of the time that you would have spend in osaka in tokyo though i'd rather go to kyoto, but it entirely depends what the purpose of your trip is. for temples, everyone will tell you to visit kinkakuji and kiyomizudera...but you'd probably be better off skipping kinkakuji and visiting fushimi inarii. it's winter though and so not exactly ideal for seeing temples, otherwise i'd recommend ryoanji among others...

as for getting to kyoto on the cheap, like DEPHT said...the cheapest option is night bus, it'll be about 5000 JPY and it get's you there in 8 hours, usually departing at 11pm from tokyo or shinjuku station.

howabout shops wise?

i can't seem to find much abt osaka shopping on the internet that would interest me.

hey man, sorry just realized i didn't answer your earlier question. unfortunately i'm not in japan anymore, actually back in l.a. wrapping up school.

as for shops, the nicer shit is around this area called ame-mura. the actual ame-mura itself is just filled with random shit, crazy-looking high schol kids and a few good shops, but if you walk away from this crap, on the outskirts there are some nice stores, even an apc outlet store in addition to the actual apc store, neighborhood, and i think hysteric glamour. if you find the are and the outskirts there are plenty of great stores that you'll just find by randomly walking about...

unfortunatley i don't have any more information about it's location, but i'll ask some friends tonight and see if i can come up with some decent directions.

in the meantime here's a description of the area:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2763616-ame_mura_osaka-i?action=describe

if i had to compare it to anything in tokyo it'd be harajuku...

yeah, lived in kyoto for a year, studied at doshisha university through ucla's exchange program. just came back in september.

luckily before going to kyoto we had a 6 week summer program in tokyo, so i got to live there for a little bit too.

l.a.'s not bad, but i'd rather be in kyoto, haha.

• 4 months later...

ok so im heading to osaka in the beginning of may (3rd to the 6th) and im gonna be staying by the Dobutsuen Mae Station. im hoping to get some tips from you locals to help maximize my time there. since i have so little time im gonna sensory overload this trip, so if i could get some tips, the basics: foods, sights, shopping, i would appreciate it.

<3 osaka

I lived in kobe 91-92 somewhere like okamoto? can't really remember was a kid

used to buy shonen jump skip school and wander round city go eat near that big crab/lobster in minami

or shoplift from sogo

I think it would be worth your while going to kobe though you can see the whole city up on those hills

sorry not much advice really

I've been a resident of Osaka for the last 3 years so I can help answer any questions you may have. Know a lot of "good" eats, and can explain where most or all of the shops you might need help finding. No one mentioned minami senba or minami horie as any places for shopping? I'm shocked!:eek:

I am presently living in Osaka and will gladly answer any questions you may have.

Tourist Attractions - Honestly, Osaka doesnt have a lot of tourist stuff aside from the Osaka Castle (which is a reconstruction with a museum inside now). For traditional stuff, a day trip to Kyoto (15 minutes by bullet train from Shin Osaka Station) is highly recommended.

Shopping - Like Jon said, Minami Horie is pretty much the best shopping in town. Check out Orange Street between Naniwa-suji and Amidaikesuji. Neighborhood, Bape, Bounty Hunter, American Rag Cie, Hare, Select, and various other boutiques. Sneakers are pretty much everywhere in the Ame-Ura region: Triangle Park in particular. Beems on Mido-suji and Europa-dori in Shinsaibashi. Cruising Ame-ura is a good call too.

Eats - Jinen sushi is pretty much the bomb. From the Shinsaibashi-suji Shotengai, walk south from the Loft one "block" to the Mikigaki music store. Then turn left (East) and walk about 5 minutes. Last block before Sakaisji is Jinen on your right. Order the Benitoro (Salmon Aburi). It's ridiculous. I recommend Okonomiyaki at Haru no Hana in Honmachi (just north of the tennis center at Utsubo Koen. Great Italian/Japanese fusion at Earth Cafe in Honmachi (right next to the red clay tennis courts in Utsubo Koen). Osaka has great food all over. Pretty hard to find a bad meal ;) Also, go eat some Kushi Katsu, preferably in Tennoji area. Lot's of good ones down there.

Nightlife - You are in town Sunday through Wednesday. Unfortunately, I am out of town for Golden Week, but I can lace you up at some good parties. Two good parties on Sunday. Hip hop at Club Candy and an all genre party (with admittedly terrible music but tons of girls) at Onzieme. Monday night is Monday Hearts at Club Pure which is a cool Japanese hip hop party (which doesnt get going until 1:30 am or so). Tuesday is more hip hop with the popular party being Fabulous at Azure. PM for more info. I'm throwing a huge event at Onzieme on the 8th. Maybe you should extend your stay ;)

Let me know if you need any more info.

db

damn bento, except for the fact i dont like seafood, your post was pretty much spot on for what im looking for, for everything.

i also plan on getting my denim nerd on, but im pretty sure the studio d'artisan and evisu stores are within the spots mentioned.

thanks for the help guys.

Best okonomiyaki without a doubt can be found at "kiji". It is in the basement of the Umeda Sky Building. There are a lot of good places to eat and drink in Kitashinchi, its a bit typcial but lots of good places close together. There are many good udon places to be found in that area as well. Almost any food with yaki in the name you should eat in Osaka.

Unlike Bentobox, I don't go to clubs so I am not much help there. But the places he mentioned should keep your pants happy.

As for shopping, I generally recommend going to Kobe as they have lantiki, and most if not all of the major brands. But again Minami area should be able to keep your wallet empty and your stomach full.

damn bento, except for the fact i dont like seafood, your post was pretty much spot on for what im looking for, for everything.

i also plan on getting my denim nerd on, but im pretty sure the studio d'artisan and evisu stores are within the spots mentioned.

thanks for the help guys.

Also check out Hinoya in Umeda for Skulls, Pure Blue, etc.

Down the street from Loft, same building as the Tommy Hilfiger.

• 2 weeks later...

Nightlife - You are in town Sunday through Wednesday. Unfortunately, I am out of town for Golden Week, but I can lace you up at some good parties. Two good parties on Sunday. Hip hop at Club Candy and an all genre party (with admittedly terrible music but tons of girls) at Onzieme. Monday night is Monday Hearts at Club Pure which is a cool Japanese hip hop party (which doesnt get going until 1:30 am or so). Tuesday is more hip hop with the popular party being Fabulous at Azure. PM for more info. I'm throwing a huge event at Onzieme on the 8th. Maybe you should extend your stay ;)

Let me know if you need any more info.

db

hey dude, i forgot to ask where is onzieme located? it seems like something that i wouldn't mind hitting up. im sure others might like to know as well so i chose not to pm this

http://www.mpd-sakai.com/en/#

If you are looking for MEAT then go here. The food that is.

yeah some meat does sound good, the food that is. and if i can find it ill try to eat there

• 4 weeks later...
already asked in the Tokyo thread, but whats good on the nightlife in Osaka?

any recs would be appreciated!

Weekday parties are pretty much all hip hop-centric in Osaka

Monday - Monday Hearts at Pure, good hip hop party, good ratio, few foreigners generally

Tuesday - Fabulous at Azure, not as crowded, but a loyal base of hip hop fans

Wednesday - Soul Free at Onzieme, started by my partner DJ Benkay 10 years ago. An institution

Thursday - What's Poppin at Amona & the yet unnamed weekly event at Joule. The new party is the place to be on Thursday

Weekends:

Onzieme for electro, house, and my all-genre party Hollywood (on Friday). Big international acts stop here when they come to town.

Grand Cafe for house, dancehall and a fun hip hop/old school party called Safari

Triangle for electro, techno, drum and bass

Candy can be good for dancehall and hip hop

The new Joule just opened up two weeks ago and we are planning some events there. May become a big spot in the next couple of months.

Fridays at Pure if you are looking for gaijin-hunter J girls ;)

It's really case by case from weekend to weekend, but hope that helps. You can always check out iflyer online which is generally updated and on point.

db

Yo yo! Im gonna be in Osaka from June27th - July5th.

If anyone knows of somewhere that I could do a possible guest dj set of an hour, please let me know!

Im not some bedroom dj who just does a bunch of bullshit mixtapes and whatnot

and tries to scratch records. Im a regularly booked dj/producer where im located and just looking to play out and have some fun whilst on this trip. : )

check out some of my material/remixes @ myspace.com/solgoldmusic or message me on here.

big thanks.