japan :: osaka :: general

dexter

osaka is really great compared to tokyo. everyone is friendly, and people even make eye contact with you on the train!

for shopping, check out amerika-mura (america village) for all the osaka kids, umeda, shinsaibashi, and namba. all the regular shops are scattered around.

make sure you eat okonomiyake and tako-yaki. i am addicted to okonomiyake sauce.

for hotels, i just found business hotels in some of the interesting areas. easy to find.

and if you are going to osaka, make sure you make a day trip to kyoto. it really is stunning.

hey, guys....

thank u so much for the really helpful info. I don't speak japanese or mandarin, so my question is do the train stations are written in english just like in tokyo? coz If they are only in kanji, i am dead! will have to take taxi all the time.

• 10 months later...

$125 for Osaka should get you a decent hotel. It is probably best to stay near Osaka Station if only there for a couple days.

I stayed at a friends house in "South Central Osaka" by the Festival Gates (this amusement park/huge spa or onsen), acutally even sketchy Yakuza areas of Japan are safe. There were hotels there for really cheap $30.

Any how I did have a list of hotels with prices I got from tourist info center, I will check to see if I have it.

yo-babywipes are the secret joints-cerul's shitters are def choice,but the MEATFEST breakfast buffet they got there is it for me...u gonna need some babywipes about 20 mins after u fill up on that mess,those omlets are way to perfect.....straight insanity.

tokyo summer day with jeans on? i am all about the wipes-damn-i am gonna sell them shits on the corner infront of that wendys next trip-watch-soon ape will be makin these wipes in camo

Its better to not say anything and appear to be the fool,than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Osaka is one of my favorite cities! Lots of capsule hotels and cheap places in the southwest. Check out the hotels near club i-to-i, easily the BEST club in all OSAKA. Hip-hop is gangsta there! Doberman Inc, D-ST Entertainment, etc. The place produces the best hip-hop acts/groups in all Japan. Plus the import scene there is straight fire. People are waaay friendly, mostly cuz Kansai-jins are just like that. Kanto-jin have more the jerk factor. Although the girls tend to be louder and more aggressive than Tokyo girls. Plus, Hanshin Tigers! Ah man, I need to go back there....

check out Hotel Shinsaibashi , its basically a comfort inn. i stayed there last may. rooms are fairly comfortable. staff speaks english and its a short walk to that one river place with the glico guy sign. haha i know thats the worst description but its close to alot of things..

Very JDM option/carboy style. I wouldn't say cali rice as in hot import nights, all-rice-up-and-know-where-to-go-poser style but more like home grown car tuning. Its got this really clubby, family feel to it. I dunno how to describe it but I the import scene here places more emphasis on performance than looks. Lots of late 80s, mid 90s cars. Very inspiring. Especially drifting nights....ahhh man I miss those dayzz...

i've never spent any time in osaka but i did spend 3 weeks in tokyo back in 2000. loved every bit of it!! went to amlux, neo-web, and the auto salon! i heard the riceboy style is catching on over there though... although i think the japanese have a different word for it. just like they call DUB style VIP over there.

"all these Pavarottis followin' me"

Quote:

i've never spent any time in osaka but i did spend 3 weeks in tokyo back in 2000. loved every bit of it!! went to amlux, neo-web, and the auto salon! i heard the riceboy style is catching on over there though... although i think the japanese have a different word for it. just like they call DUB style VIP over there.

--- Original message by sr20det on Nov 21, 2005 06:37 AM

what is 'riceboy' style?

Agreed. It's very much JDM style here. Especially the drifters. They actually take pride in the fact that their cars are totally fucked up and scratched on the outside but still packing twin-cam engines in AE86s (haha).

The best thing to do is go to a JTB there. I went to Osaka and they hooked me up in some crazy nice business hotel right in the heart of everything and it was super cheap. We came from Tokyo with no reservations and they hooked it up on the spot. I highly recommend it. They do all the work for you. The one I went to is right in the same main building where all the subways and the shinkansen meet . Sorry don't remember the name but it might be Osaka station.