Lost

broneck

they're not going to answer the questions you just asked. no explanation they can give and now i'm realizing walt will be satisfying. the mystery is good enough for me. it just pisses me off how they used walt to save locke from the pit. they're probably not going to explain that fucking kid.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

found this:

Jacob and MIB's "mother" spent the whole episode building up to her replacement. We're lead to think she has chosen Jacob to replace her duties of protecting the island. But what if she actually chose MIB to replace her job as...wait for it...THE SMOKE MONSTER! The whole episode is about her manipulation on Jacob that eventually leads him to throw his brother into the light which turns him into the new smoke monster.

She left the game on the beach to start a rivalry between the two boys. She used her "smokey" powers to appear as MIB's real mother and guide him to the others. She saw that MIB had all the qualities to be the evil smoke monster (able to lie.. ect.). What kind of woman beats a pregnant woman with a rock and steals her babies? an evil woman! a smoke monster! How did she ruin the camp and destroy the well in such a short amount of time...well, if she turned into smokey then poof! easy! She told Jacob the light was a fate worse than death. hmm..sounds like she knows from experience! She knew MIB would kill her, so she showed Jacob exactly how to get his revenge on MIB, throw him into the light! Which made MIB her replacement, which was the plan all along! Jacob was only a pawn! The smoke monster protects the island.

Two theories from: http://www.avclub.com/articles/across-the-sea,41063/

Here’s one interpretation:

Once upon a time, two brothers—twins—were born on a mysterious island, and raised by a woman who taught them right from wrong, and taught them also that they were destined to protect The Island from ill-intentioned interlopers who would exploit The Island’s unique energies, and spread wickedness throughout the world entire. Only the younger twin—The Bad Twin—didn’t trust The Woman, and went to live with some of those interlopers, helping them to tap into what The Island has to offer. So The Woman punished The Bad Twin for straying, and in return he killed her. The Good Twin banished his brother, consigning him to roam The Island as a monster, effectively drafting The Bad Twin in the ongoing campaign to keep outsiders at bay.

And here’s another interpretation:

Once upon a time, a woman stumbled across a pregnant castaway on the beach of a mysterious island, and after helping her deliver her babies—twins—The Woman killed The Mother and claimed the offspring as her own. The Woman lied to the brothers about what lay beyond the confines of The Island. She lied to them about why they were there, and what they were meant to do. She pitted one brother against the other, by indicating she had different expectations for each. She stifled their interests, and crushed their ambitions. Then the younger twin—The Good Twin—rose up against her and killed her. And in repayment, he was chained to the land he despised.

No matter how many times she says it, Kate doesn't sound natural at all when ending a word with "ing". Just noticed this and now it's really getting on my nerves.

i agree with the theory that the mother was the previous smoke monster. it seemed to want to be killed by the MIB and for some reason i feel like only he would have been able to do that. we'll see in the upcoming week. can't wait for this shit to be explained.

i don't get how they managed to reveal

-the 'mommy issues' flocke was referring to

-identity of skeletons in the cave

-the black and white stone thing

-origin of the wells/well desmond was pushed into

-what the wheel was that original locke pushed

-how the smoke monster was created

-how jacob and ??? came to the island

-what the island's 'power' is

and still have it be such a blahhhh episode

to people complaining about the fact that the light wasn't explained: Lost has always been a fantasy show (the smoke monster and polar bears were present way back in season 1).

if they hit us over the head with answers that didn't leave any room for interpretation, people would complain that we're being spoon-fed.

First half of ep. was a bit rushed, but funny how we got answers of why Kate was crossed off etc. Just wish they'd kill off Richard and Widmore off a bit better than that after all the roles they've played in the past...

^^^Nope I don't think Richard is dead. And as for Widmore dying, I think that it was pretty good that Ben finally killed him.

Finale will be good with Jack now protecting the island and Flocke (Sawyer actually called him that in this week's ep) as his adversary. It's just like earlier seasons but with the roles reversed, where Jack was always trying to leave, but Locke wanted to stay and protect the island. Oh the irony!

Question is, will the rules apply to Jack now that he's the new Jacob, can Flocke kill him? Also interesting to think about is how all the other characters in the flash sideways will reconvene and what will happen when they do. Lastly, in the "present" what will become of the rest of the survivors (and Miles)?

^i have a bad feeling the finale will end with jack's throat being slit by flocke's knife. jack then flashes to the alt time line, waking up with the cut on his neck.

edit: also, if flocke is promising ben the island, then why did flocke tell him that he was going to destroy the island? seems contradictory

This last arc is really reminding me of how the Dark Tower wrapped up. Killing everyone off, introducing some major stuff at the last minute, the same sort of broad stroke explanations for a lot of the series mysteries, etc.