The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

probably said dis b4 but I'm in the middle of my mechanical engineering degree in italy, after that I'm doing a masters in automotive engineering. hoping to land a nice job at lamborghini or maserati (ferrari pays shiz) afterward. meanwhile I'm participating in as many racing events as I can to get to know the right people.

FAYST.

1. become race queen model

2. fuck way to top.

3. profit!

Other exceptions: Ross - Michigan, Haas - Berkeley and Sloan - MIT. Oh, and a couple kids from Kelley - Indiana.

Mckinseys came to Duke about two weeks ago to recuit and unfortunately they were only looking for PhD students for thie APD section

and i heard the interview process is crazy as there are 4 rounds instead of the usual 2 or 3.

i'd be fuking happy with BCG, Accenture or Bain

when i think of a degree i think of more debt and a 9-5. right now im only making 30k after taxes, serving(waiting tables) but im a bit lazy and only work 35 hours a week and work in a small chain. i could make a bit more when i move to chicago from des moines.im currently saving stacking dough and will continue to do so for a couple years.maybee then i will go to school without money worries. in the meantime im gonna live modestly and have 20k stacked up in a couple years or so. the only thing i really want to do is produce electronic/hiphop/house music. i might have to serve part time in my old age. maybee be a wal mart greeter. the more you make the more you spend.

• 2 months later...

Sophmore in college ( advertising?). This summer I am going to try and intern or live in a foreign country. Things are going well in life. I would like to get married in the next 1-3 years (if I meet the right girl). I plan on working for a few years then maybe going to grad school. Who knows.

Who knows.

That's the best part.

So my dilemma for the next two years:

1) Go back to Tokyo to be a banker

2) Interview w/ Private Equity firms in Tokyo

3) Say fuck it and do Venture Capital in the Silicon Valley

I'm really considering option three.

I think it'd be awesome to invest in the next Facebook or Google.

Opinions?

i'm not too familiar with japanese business culture, but VC in silicon valley would be pretty sweet, with a whole bunch of great thinkers in the area. does PE in tokyo pay comparably to VC in the states?

It really depends on the firm. I have an interview next week w/ a global PE firm (Hint: They recently aquired Chrysler), so I'm assuming comparable salary. A part of me doesn't want to miss an opportunity in red-hot Asia. But my nerdy/engineering side likes the idea of funding the next "big" dot com...

I should probably send this question to vault.com or styleforum.com since there are more professionals there...

this really is the age of the new startups. everyone and their mom is involved in one in SF now, and they might have learned from their mistakes as well.

Yeah, if it weren't for the stupid credit markets and the falling dollar, startups would be gang busters now. I feel like the tide is going to get better slowly through and I think a transition now would be prudent, when the competition is less fierce. I had a VC friend tell me that for one position, they interviewed 700+ applicants. That to me is mind-boggling.

I'm studying biochemistry and molecular biology with a pre-med concentration. I'm also taking asian history courses, not to up my GPA, but to fulfill my minor.

If I don't get into medical school, perish the thought, I will pursue graduate courses with a cancer biology focus.

If I do get in, I will try and finish the four years, then compete for residencies in adolescent psychiatry. If I don't get accepted into that, I will try for sleep psychiatry. I believe that's looking too far ahead in the future, though.

Maybe I'll do my fellowship abroad? Hahaha, I dunno. So much time.

Going solo on the businesses financially masterbate

Running the NYC underground like my named was jared

dropping mad weight

in all seriousness...I've been working with Robert Geller ( http://www.robertgeller-ny.com ) since around august and I love it there. Def gonna stick around for a while, also working on my own line Leon which I plan to launch in fall 09. Doing some brand consulting and working on a childrens book/character on the side and started doing some industrial designing. Busy as hell but enjoying it all.

hey guysss, life aint so bad when you knwo someome who got pregnant at 16 and dropped out of school, got a abortion anddd her parents hate her like no other and shes gonna be kicked out when shes 18 :]

no junior year or senior year for her.

think of the brighter things in life, you guys have clothes, food, and a shelter.

edit: forgot the answer to the topic question

basically, i dindt get into the UC system. :( boo hoo. its pretty important cause my families not rich and i'd get enough aid to study there and everyone in my family got in cept me.. and they got into the top tier ones too so im like the black sheep..or the shit stain on my family underwear.

so what i am doing now is going to a junior college.. basically santa monica would be a good place for me.. get out of my small town ghetto area.. and spend 2 years there and get into a better uni.

i hope to major in something like buisness as a general since it can be used almost anywhere and basically intern at some nice company if i could.

but waht'd be the best thing on earth is a full ride schoolarship to a nice university for graduate school. hell, that'd be one sweet thing.

but who knows.. in 5 years i might be crying on the streets at my foolish choices in life.

:]

hey guysss, life aint so bad when you knwo someome who got pregnant at 16 and dropped out of school, got a abortion anddd her parents hate her like no other and shes gonna be kicked out when shes 18 :]

think of the brighter things in life, you guys have clothes, food, and a shelter.

what the fuck man. seriously, what the fuck.

is there something you want to tell us in superconfessional?

Guest Methimphibian

basically, i dindt get into the UC system. :( boo hoo. its pretty important cause my families not rich and i'd get enough aid to study there and everyone in my family got in cept me.. and they got into the top tier ones too so im like the black sheep..or the shit stain on my family underwear.

so what i am doing now is going to a junior college.. basically santa monica would be a good place for me.. get out of my small town ghetto area.. and spend 2 years there and get into a better uni.

i hope to major in something like buisness as a general since it can be used almost anywhere and basically intern at some nice company if i could.

but waht'd be the best thing on earth is a full ride schoolarship to a nice university for graduate school. hell, that'd be one sweet thing.

but who knows.. in 5 years i might be crying on the streets at my foolish choices in life.

The Oprah Winfrey show is that wayy ----------------------->

Going solo on the businesses financially masterbate

Running the NYC underground like my named was jared

dropping mad weight

in all seriousness...I've been working with Robert Geller ( http://www.robertgeller-ny.com ) since around august and I love it there. Def gonna stick around for a while, also working on my own line Leon which I plan to launch in fall 09. Doing some brand consulting and working on a childrens book/character on the side and started doing some industrial designing. Busy as hell but enjoying it all.

Glad to see things are going well for you mouko. Did you ever finish your degree?

Ddohnggo, the lay-offs in subprime are relatively concentrated in mortgage related divisions but yes lay-offs happen.

I think a good course in English grammar and writing composition is in order before applying to transfer.

how can you not get into the UC system...decisions are even out yet. no :( yet for you.

Glad to see things are going well for you mouko. Did you ever finish your degree?

Ddohnggo, the lay-offs in subprime are relatively concentrated in mortgage related divisions but yes lay-offs happen.

Nope. I actually got booted because of a shady private doctor I was going too (Took a medical leave, he didn't do the paperwork properly to get me excused and I was dropped going into my senior year). He went and sold his practice, was going to sue but ended up getting some good internships and didn't think it was worth the effort anymore. Fortunate things worked out for me, if I didn't get lucky I would have definitely gone back to school.

Well at this point in my life I have a general direction that I think I am gonna go in and I would like to run it by you guys. From when I was a kid I always wanted to be the big important guy that companies payed to have flown around the world to meet and talk with people. From closing deals over sushi with Mr. Tanaka in japan, to chatting at a cafe with Baron Pierre Francois in Paris, I can see myself doing business with the world. To prepare for all of this I have started learning japanese through a combined self study and academic courses. I would not say I am fluent, but I have a firm grasp of the language that I continue to pursue in college.

So to follow my dreams, I really didn't know what major to pursue. But browsing potential options I saw "International Business" with caught my eye. It seemed like a general enough major as business can be applied towards anything, and the international part just sweetened the deal for me. So I applied International business to a plethora of schools which leads me to wear I am right now.

I have been accepted to George Washington University in Washington D.C. under the terms of Early Decision. I was accepted to the school of business with international business as my major. I also plan to minor in Japanese while in school. Washington D.C. Is close enough to NYC so I figure that there could be some good internship opportunities in the city, as I have no interest in politics or government jobs.

Out of all of the aspects of international business I think that marketing suits me the best, so I am going with am emphasis on marketing for my IBUS major.

I know it's been said Ad Nasuem, but I just dont want to end up as another suicide at 30 due to hating my job and stress. I want to do something that will be fun and rewarding. Pretty much looking forward to my job every day. Its something very rare these days, but I hope to achieve it.

So after reading that essay that I typed it in a half-panicked mid-mid-life crisis frenzy, would you say that I am on a good track in life? Anything I need to brush up on, rethink, or rework?

Just any general guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks for listening to my musings.

to Juice925

GWU is a great school with a great reputation, I wouldn't hesitate to go there if accepted (which if I remembered correctly, I wasn't). But anyways, if you want to be a man of the world, travel internationally, etc. I am pretty certain that D.C. is the place to start your education. I grew up outside of D.C. and know that there's plenty of serious ppl you will likely meet there to help you with your career. Be sure to learn well the languages that you want to learn, don't half-ass it (like I, or everyone else, did with Spanish), do some internships and spend 1-2 semesters abroad, and it shouldn't be too hard to find some positions once you graduate.

^ troof

plus you'd better be prepared to stand in line with the millions of other kids who go into Japanese 101 and hope for it to become their minor and be able to magically become fluent within 4 years, and then actually find some use for it in a professional capacity. You might bump into Ichigo100% or naturaljax waiting in line.

^ troof

plus you'd better be prepared to stand in line with the millions of other kids who go into Japanese 101 and hope for it to become their minor and be able to magically become fluent within 4 years, and then actually find some use for it in a professional capacity. You might bump into Ichigo100% or naturaljax waiting in line.

I loled. The fact of the matter is, I already do have a pretty firm grasp on the language. So I really don't want to let it go to waste, and hope to achieve near-fluency, or pass the JLPT1.

The major is where my concern is at this moment, do you think it is a good choice for my goals?

I loled. The fact of the matter is, I already do have a pretty firm grasp on the language. So I really don't want to let it go to waste, and hope to achieve near-fluency, or pass the JLPT1.

The major is where my concern is at this moment, do you think it is a good choice for my goals?

I work in Japan for a multi-national investment bank, so I can give you some perspective. I studied Japanese in college and speak it fairly fluently, that said, if you aren't Japanese and don't come from a top school it will be difficult but acheiveable. But don't waste your time passing JLPT1. It's more important that you get the coveted 3rd year internship and experience and build network connections. Your skill set is more important. I'd recommend that you ditch marketing and do something more applicable like finance, economics, management science, or an engineering degree. Marketing/advertising in Japan is dominated by major players

Dentsu, Hakuhodo, Asatsu, Daiko, etc. They are all decidely Japanese in corporate management, i.e. if you are foreigner, there is a glass ceiling. Plus, the pay is shit comparable to multi-nationals and flexibility into other fields will be difficult since the companies are too domestic.

Since you haven't started college, obviously your perspective is going to skewed. Take some class in your first/second year, get the coveted internship abroad, and then try re-evaluating your priorities.