The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

I quit my summer job last week in order to prepare for the upcoming academic quarter. I had my first weekend (Thursday-Saturday) off in 4 months. Feels good, man.

As far as my education/future is concerned, I've decided to stick with my English major (Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish concept) for the first year or so, then switch over to Physical Therapy if I find it to be too impractical. Career uncertainty aside, the excitement I have towards studying/learning can not be understated.

my bachelors degree is taking way longer than it should - i need to care more about it.

i have an amazing opportunity to write my bachelor thesis on an incredibly interesting subject in an internatinally renowned company doing pioneer research that no one has ever done before

but i don't know if i want to do that because it would take me an hour by train/bus to and from work. i hate commuting - i want something closer to where i live. i know i should stop being a bitch about it and grab that opportunity and do something amazing i could be proud of

fuck i feel like a sorry 17 year old not getting his way with his parents - fucking pathetic

I have more or less secured myself a position at another company. I was kindof hoping to get out of finance altogether, but even a step out of retail banking feels like a step in the right direction.

It's a sales position for a small (total employees - 70) currency exchange company not far from where I work now. They do forex for almost exclusively small to medium sized businesses, so instead of dealing with random people who need a mortgage I'll be researching companies and trying to make connections with people who do business across borders.

Not sure if it's worth the move from a stable position with decent pay and great benefits to a small, upstart company doing what is probably a more demanding and possibly shitty job, but with less red-tape and probably more long term potential....

dude, an hour is nothing - especially on public transit. sleep/music/read/whatever.

Correct. In London, an hour's commute is pretty much a given. Yes, it's kind of crap and it would be nicer taking a 30 minute walk but it gives me two opportunities to read each day and that time belongs to me at least. Can't understand those who just flick through the freesheets or muck around with games on their phones.

I have more or less secured myself a position at another company. I was kindof hoping to get out of finance altogether, but even a step out of retail banking feels like a step in the right direction.

It's a sales position for a small (total employees - 70) currency exchange company not far from where I work now. They do forex for almost exclusively small to medium sized businesses, so instead of dealing with random people who need a mortgage I'll be researching companies and trying to make connections with people who do business across borders.

Not sure if it's worth the move from a stable position with decent pay and great benefits to a small, upstart company doing what is probably a more demanding and possibly shitty job, but with less red-tape and probably more long term potential....

is this in toronto?

Yeah. And I just got the offer today.

Going to look over the particulars and make my move based on that.

You gotta keep in mind that where you're at now will pay off in the future once you move into a higher position. You can be with them for the rest of your career (as awful as that sounds..?) if you so choose.

I'm actually trying to get into finance but have no idea how to go about it, almost finished my degree in Hospitality and Tourism management but I don't feel satisfied with it. Probably going to take my CSC or CFA I don't know, I need to think hard with what I want to do over the next year.

I don't want to be. I think getting to a higher position in sales at the bank I currently work for will be more difficult than in a smaller company that's expanding rapidly. Especially if I make a name for myself at the outset.

This company has been growing it's client base at a rate of 100% each year for the past 3 apparently. That kind of expansion has to come with a lot of opportunity .

I read a Canadian News Wire release today that suggests they're essentially the only company of their kind in Canada. All this shit makes me think I'm better to get in at the ground floor of a growing, booming business, as opposed to staying with a slow moving bureaucracy with 2,000 people like me all trying to crawl over each other to the top.

I'm actually trying to get into finance but have no idea how to go about it, almost finished my degree in Hospitality and Tourism management but I don't feel satisfied with it. Probably going to take my CSC or CFA I don't know, I need to think hard with what I want to do over the next year.

What makes you feel like you want to get into finance? The CFA is an insanely difficult designation. I know people who have done B.Comms that fail that shit like 3 times. It takes literally hundreds and hundreds of hours to complete .

Why'd you get into the whole Hospitality thing, and what makes you so dissatisfied with it? I know a lot of people who have parlayed experience in the hospitality business into some pretty neat shit.

^ i hit up clopek a few months ago about finance, and i respectfully told him that his situation was something i didn't want to be in however many years from now. really an eye-opener for me, personally.

i attended a securities analysis/finance event today at my school. fell asleep through the whole presentation. not even slightly embarrassed, moreso disappointed because this is continuously happening in every finance-related presentation i attend.

red flag? most likely. it's kind of alarming but sad at the same time.

I start second year university on Monday, and I'm already bricking it about failing. Its the year they weed us out and last time I was at university I failed 2nd year because of a lack of routine and structure. I need to get at least a B in all my exams and placements to qualify for honours.

I need to get in the right mindset for this year.

male 22

communty college part time for more than 3 years(on and off)

creeping into that general studies grey area of no return.

full time job in receiving docks at sams club

still live with parents

practically no social life.

sometimes i wake up and feel like i can be a genius and change the world.but then i get this awesome mental block that makes me feel pessimistic bored and tired.

montreal lacks of job opportunities in finance since you practically need an accounting title to be a banker here

pretty sure i'll be relocating to toronto/nyc/london/singapore

i've been emailing an alumni that has been living in london since 2002 and said it was relatively easy to land a job in the city even if you aren't a 4.0 harvard graduate because english banks hires good minds, not degrees

^you really don't have to have the best marks in school to land a great job. relevant work experience, networking skills, and even volunteer work make all the difference... in my field anyway. you seem to have your foot in the door already by getting in contact with an alum from that area

living here in berlin for a semester

just booked my flights for a week+ long trip to barcelona, milan, venice and paris in less than month from now. stoked

I'm jealous; but know my productivity would be about zero in a city where it's eaay to stay out till 10am the next morning.

Mmmm, missing that Panorama bar ish :(

24 working a lame accounting/finance job, with a finance degree majoring in corporate finance/investment mgt and no interest in going in that direction. filling up my time learning yoga. thinking of what i should study for masters. no love life to speak of.

dream life: husband with a good enough salary to depend on so i can spend my days working in a childcare :)

montreal lacks of job opportunities in finance since you practically need an accounting title to be a banker here

While there's no denying that there's very few finance job in Montreal, i have no idea where you get the idea that being a CA is either good preparation or a requirement for banking or that it's something that bankers often have....

pretty sure i'll be relocating to toronto/nyc/london/singapore

i've been emailing an alumni that has been living in london since 2002 and said it was relatively easy to land a job in the city even if you aren't a 4.0 harvard graduate because english banks hires good minds, not degrees

How do you plan to convince an English bank (or any bank for that matter) that you have "good mind" if you don't have a stellar GPA (and come from a school that they have at least heard about) when they have literally thousand of local applicants for any open position??? In this environment, you are seriously deluding yourself if you believe it'll be easy to secure a front office position, anywhere.