The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

"I made a life doing the things I love, but God knows I haven't made a living doing so."

Began working on a documentary with a good friend of mine. Began filming in August and will resume filming in December. Will film through December 2009, unless ancillary footage is needed. Will edit throughout 2010; hope to have a rough cut done by September 2010 and a final cut done by December 2010. In the process of drawing up a budget and editing a promotional cut from our existing footage. Meeting with investors in the near future.

In the meanwhile, I edit and review standardized tests for an educational-publishing company. I occasionally do freelance editing, writing, and tutoring. I used to think that I wanted to go back to school to pursue a doctorate in cultural studies, but now I'm not so sure; I also used to think that I wanted to be a professional gambler, but I found that life to be more psychically and emotionally draining than I thought possible. Decided not to pursue that after several months of playing part-time.

So of course I don't know what the future holds. Probably won't be working at the publishing firm much longer as I will begin devoting myself full-time to working on the film with my friend. May take on freelance work in the meanwhile. May move to NY in the near future (roommate may move out of house, sister will likely move from San Francisco to D.C.) as I have some opportunities there that could prove to be really fruitful. Doing so may interfere with work on the documentary, though. Things are coming to a head soon, so I will have to make a big decision sooner than later.

be wary of securing financing to purchase your property without declaring your tips. people who don't make a consistent income (bartenders/waiters/strippers/etc) often get turned down because they can't prove that they make a certain amount.

if you want to start owning property and don't have the cash saved up (i don't think i'm out of line to assume you don't have 100% to put down on a home) you might consider claiming enough to back up a mortgage qualification . . .30 grand a year gross? and if you take a few classes you can generally write off tuition and books so you're saving money on taxes whilst completing your education and getting closer to owning a home :)

(edit - i meant gross, not net)

im not versed in the world of mortgages but i have a brother whom i will be splitting the down payment with and we have a co signer with an outstanding financial history that will be helping us hide the fact that we have not given much money to the gonvernment over out working lives. does that take care of the problem of %90 of my income over the last 7 years being unclaimed?

Which two other sufu'ers NESK? Do you guys consider yourselves to be bringing food and steez to the victims, or just food?

i got hocus pocus and homi jobs at my work. we arent really stylin on anyone since we wear some pretty crappy uniforms. however, before homi's shirts got sent in he had two days of frute swaggin hard on them fools. he are currently having an asian-bedhead-off. first one to get sent home by a manger wins. i got the halfbreed cow lick going and he has the full blown chi-fro. our coworkers beleive weve conspired fuck up the whole program with our stylin. but its subtle. wehn it comes to coversation with guests, however, we are definately bringin some next level shit. i tell people all day that the foie gras is next level shit.

as long as you don't have any large debts that would outweigh you making about 15 grand a year. . .if you have shitloads of debt sometimes it doesn't matter what your cosigner looks like, it's all a series of ratios that factor your total debt vs. total income, so if your combined monthly income is, for round numbers, $1000, but your combined total debt/obligatory payments (ie. loans, mortgages, etc) is $500 dollars you probably would still struggle to qualify based on a ratio of 50% of your gross income going towards debt payments. some institutions will give that a pass based on credit history being impeccable, but others will not. the bank i worked at had a 44% rule of thumb for people with A rated credit (no delinquencies, strong credit history), but different institutions work differently

i'm in my first year at san francisco, but junior standing right now. liberal studies major/emphasis in creative arts. minor in industrial design. i don't know what is going to come of it, but i'm usually motivated and focused, so i'm pretty sure i'll be able to find something to put my energy into and get money out of. I'd be able to teach high school french with an another year of schooling, if i need to fall back on something.

Youre an idiot. Either you go all in in industrial design or you don't do it at all.

On another note, I'm beginning to see a trend in sufu.

The trend goes like this: I have no talent in art, I buy a lot of clothes, i'm deep in college but I think I want to give art a try. I'm an ostentatious cunt.

fin

More information needed. (I have both a bach in econ and a bach in business) What do you want to do in econ? If you're thinking business school the only thing econ really fits in with is finance so... be prepared for that. My issue is that after I got my econ I went for the business degree and realized just how little I wanted to do with it.

My school just has a general econ degree. Finance, Marketing, etc. are called "concentrations" and are only available in the bschool. I would, however, graduate with a BBA regardless of my concentration.

Pretty much looking into finance (as is everyone else). The bschool at my university has a good rep (great recruiting for a non-ivy) on the street so that's an added incentive. Basically looking to work in finance for a few years and then work in korea (coming to korea with a US education + work experience starts you up pretty high on the corporate ladder).

Right now i'm thinking i should just graduate fast, work a few years and go for an mba but i'm exploring options

My school just has a general econ degree. Finance, Marketing, etc. are called "concentrations" and are only available in the bschool. I would, however, graduate with a BBA regardless of my concentration.

Pretty much looking into finance (as is everyone else). The bschool at my university has a good rep (great recruiting for a non-ivy) on the street so that's an added incentive. Basically looking to work in finance for a few years and then work in korea (coming to korea with a US education + work experience starts you up pretty high on the corporate ladder).

Right now i'm thinking i should just graduate fast, work a few years and go for an mba but i'm exploring options

Dual degree econ and finance looks good, but I would advise to look out for inter-school politics. I was treated like a second class citizen in the business school when I went because the faculty was feuding with the econ department and I was TAing for econ.

Second warning... as you already know, this isn't really the time to be going finance. Acc'ting tops out earlier, but is a much better market than finance.

Last warning... an MBAs usefulness lies in the connections and reputation it affords you. To get into the schools that would give you those things generally require some personal connections (not just grades and hard-work like one might wish). That being said I'm avoiding the MBA route in business and focusing on graduate work in econ... my connections were found lacking.

Working a job i don't really like too much, but it is easy, i don't work too many hours and i get paid considerably better than the majority of my other student friends.

In my second year of law / journalism at UQ. It is okay. Quite liking the journalism side of things, and think that is what i want to pursue in the future (still have another 3 and a bit bloody years to go though). On the other hand, i find the law courses bore me, and i am just not interested enough to invest much time in them. I consistently pass all of them, though, without really trying all that hard. So, i gotta decide if i stick it out and finish it, or give it up. Right now i feel completely over it, but i think that i will end up finishing it, if only have the extra degree under my belt when i graduate.

Attending uni full-time and working part-time can occasionally get stressful, but i really can't complain with how everything is right now.

finding time for studying / working part-time is really a struggle for me.. i may just quit all together so i can focus on studying.

specially with a shitty supervisor giving me bad hours :(

im pretty much working just so i can get some food for myself and clothes (since i pretty much exist on white tee / a jean / shoe)

• 5 weeks later...

last year in high school, so im pretty much spending most of my time studying and working on my portfolio for now. after college apps are done, probably gonna get a part-time job and try to live up my last year in high school before life really begins.

finished one year at macalester college, came to israel to take some time off, be in the promised land and learn hebrew...next semester i'm going back and living at home, working, taking classes at the local community college and applying for transfer to boston university, temple, some other places. just getting my shit together for the rest of my college days...

actually i'm losing a lot of business period. the market for what i do has tanked. i have been planning a new start and have started a new company, but it looks like i'll be pushing it harder and relying on it sooner than i had originally planned.

this is the first time i've ever been personally involved in a business where in a matter of weeks the market just disappeared. it will come back eventually but damn...

going to art school for photography and illustration, working at health food store making juice, trying to spend every second of free time i have making it all worthwhile.

what you gonna teach and what level, wayne?

kunk- you're lucky i can't neg for "loosing" as i've apparently given you rep recently

i'm gonna teach classics (greco-roman era) at the university level. this will be my second, 'retirement' job

i have about a semester of grad work in before i joined the army and I could knock out a PhD part-time by the time I'm 50. i'd like to teach criminal justice at the ju-co/minor university level and maybe to high school kids.

also Kunk: 'alot' is also not a word