The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

i did a year at carleton in the journalism program but it sucked

so i quit, and now ive done nothing (literally, nothing) for over a year now. well i had a job for a couple months but now i dont. i shop a lot and get high

next year im going to ryerson for their arts and contemporary studies program. i just want to do something with my life hahahaha

dude ACS sucks. it's a never-ending nightmare of liberal arts classes, and at the end of the tunnel is unemployment.

apply for the journalism program at ryerson, it's fun and you get to play with lots of camera equipment and talk to people. not academic and totally dry like carleton.

as for what i'm doing with my life...

working at a publishers this summer and photographing for spacing magazine, travel when i can and spend all my paychecks before going back for my fourth year in september to two masthead positions at a feminist magazine and the ryerson review of journalism. my boyfriend is moving in with me in a week, and we are going to be a married couple with two cats, probably. life is busy, but good.

dammit canice why do you have to ruin my hopes and dreams

after the stupid carleton thing im afraid of journalism. they totally sucked any interest i had in it out and spat it in my face, it was kind of terrifying

i dont really look forward to 4 years of uselessness and then unemployment either though...

if you want a breakdown of the jschool here, pm me.

honestly, ACS is ryerson's practical, rehashed version of what everyone else calls a liberal arts degree. the only thing it's good for is a ticket into grad school, if your grades are good enough.

OKay serious this time. I graduated with an English Degree from Suny Binghamton in 2005. I put no effort into my studies, made no connections academically or professionally, and generally left the experience with a drinking problem and a piece of paper that ensures I won't be completely destitute for the rest of my life. After graduation I got a job at a successful freind's company doing customer service work out on Long Island. The job sucks but I work in an office with no one else in it so I'm afforded alot of freedom. I leave whenever I want to go to the gym, listen to music, read, or just go home and sleep and get paid the whole day. I make 20 bucks an hour plus free car, gas, and cell phone. This is only because my friend is friends with my direct supervisor (who operates out of another state) The job is steady albeit completely analogous to anything I'd want to do with my life. I live in my grandmothers house cus the majority of my family moved to Colorado after I graduated and I'd rather not pay over a grand rent to live on my own in the wasteland that is Long island New York. Basically I spend every dime I make on clothes, drinks, and other frivolities and even after a year at this job with no bills I am yet to save anything. I hate the work I do and am considering moving to Colorado but besides skiing, I can't think of anything that would interest me there. Basically I have the feeling it will be a long time before I sort myself out. Which IM fine with...

In a positive note, in the last year: I have paid off all my credit card debt, lost 50 pounds of depression/booze weight, and started a songwriting relationship with a close friend that I think might be a real option as a future. Which is hard because nothing I've ever done would indicate to every one I know that this is something I'm interested in or talented at. confusion confusion confusion

Guest Airjamie

Honestly? I strive to maintain the perfect balance of "this guys going somewhere" and "dude theres absolutely no fucking way he just did that. No. Youre shitting me. Non only is that illegal but its inhumanly creul/disgusting/immoral"

Graduated from college in 2002. BS in Nursing. Was hired to my first job before I even took my boards. Stayed at that job about 9 months. 6 of which were working nights and it totally SUCKED. Alot of my coworkers were miserable. I was losing weight, zombie like demeanor, etc, etc. I quit, took a 3 month break, ended up at my second hospital which was waaaay better. working 12 hour shifts 3 days a week. Making decent money so I'd go on long weekends out of town all the time.

Did that for about a year, quit and ended up taking 6 months off just f'ing around, traveling, hanging out etc, etc. Been hanging out in NYC so often that I decided I wanted to move there, got my NYC license, hollered at a recruiter and got a job in queens, moved to Brooklyn.

So now I'm still in brooklyn, on my second job here in NYC (hopefully about to move onto another one) make decent bank and try to travel more these days.

I have to say Healthcare is a very different animal than what alot of you guys are pursuing, and especially for the Nurses the job market is wide open. I dont even do bedside care anymore (i miss it, but not that much)

I do eventually want to move out of NYC though because its seriously a money drain and the more responsible I'm becoming with my money (read: older) the more I'm thinking about buying a place (yep definitely old) but yeah. I'm glad I went into the field I did, I get paid pretty well and meet all sorts of interesting characters.

For those of you entering medicine and what not, you guys will have stories for daaaayss soon enough.

last year of the gymnasium, graduating in may, never did anything and freewheeled through it with reasonable marks, now got accepted for english literature at westminster in london (under the condition that I average a 7 on my central exam) and applied for the creative writing course as well but they still need to review my portfolio of work. i hang out with friends in the city most of the day or play soccer at concrete fields. all of my money goes to booze, concerts, clothes, books and food. i like my life as it is, but feeling more and more bored with the area/country and thus am really looking forward to living in london!

don;t worry about your future. Armageddon is coming for all of us.

i read about all that 2012 shit when i was really little

so its sort of set in my mind that the end of the world approaches, or at least some great change

and i view my future plans based on the idea that the second i get out of college i will probably die

so i dont see much point in a career

but i was to get a really decent education in what interests me

so i can learn as much as possible before i die.

Graduated from college in 2002. BS in Nursing. Was hired to my first job before I even took my boards. Stayed at that job about 9 months. 6 of which were working nights and it totally SUCKED. Alot of my coworkers were miserable. I was losing weight, zombie like demeanor, etc, etc. I quit, took a 3 month break, ended up at my second hospital which was waaaay better. working 12 hour shifts 3 days a week. Making decent money so I'd go on long weekends out of town all the time.

Did that for about a year, quit and ended up taking 6 months off just f'ing around, traveling, hanging out etc, etc. Been hanging out in NYC so often that I decided I wanted to move there, got my NYC license, hollered at a recruiter and got a job in queens, moved to Brooklyn.

So now I'm still in brooklyn, on my second job here in NYC (hopefully about to move onto another one) make decent bank and try to travel more these days.

I have to say Healthcare is a very different animal than what alot of you guys are pursuing, and especially for the Nurses the job market is wide open. I dont even do bedside care anymore (i miss it, but not that much)

I do eventually want to move out of NYC though because its seriously a money drain and the more responsible I'm becoming with my money (read: older) the more I'm thinking about buying a place (yep definitely old) but yeah. I'm glad I went into the field I did, I get paid pretty well and meet all sorts of interesting characters.

For those of you entering medicine and what not, you guys will have stories for daaaayss soon enough.

why dont you become a traveling nurse.Scripps Green in san diego uses them. there are a lotta hot nurses there too. They're down to party too. we're talking bowls of cocaine status parties.

they pay for your apartment rent, some extra spending money, some money for gas and a bonus.

19, About to finish my A Levels. Studying Art, Film & Video (one subject) and Media. I did do Art and Design for AS but the new teacher for A2 was an absolute witch, therefore my A grade went down the shitter.

you took the easiest subjects known to man and still skip college?

and also, London's not an easy place to get by in, really.

you took the easiest subjects known to man and still skip college?

and also, London's not an easy place to get by in, really.

i chose them because i enjoyed them. maybe i should of chose science of maths because that would look better on my cv..? also, look into how much time and work goes into maintaining a farm, im sure you'll understand a little more

no need to school me on london, ive spent enough time there and have enough family members to tell me that thanks

I'm starting to study Economics this year and while I'm genuinely interested in it, I have no fucking clue what to do with a degree in economics.

This I can answer. You go back to school.

As for me I plan on sucking dicks on the corner until I can finally get my PhD in econ.

I studied economics for a year and absolutely hated it. Since I went back to architecture, I sleep less, have no time to party and increasingly become antisocial, and I am genuinely excited about the prospects of my future.

Graduating in June with a degree in psychology, having decided a few months ago that all my preparation for a career in academic clinical psych was not for me, and that medicine is what I want to do. So I'm working as a research assistant next year and volunteering at hospital while applying to postbacc programs so I can take the basic sciences required to get me into school for another four years.

Doing horribly in all my Computer Science courses in college, when I've already proved my proficiency in programming to achieve certifications and internships?

Fuck programming guidelines and physics.

why dont you become a traveling nurse.Scripps Green in san diego uses them. there are a lotta hot nurses there too. They're down to party too. we're talking bowls of cocaine status parties.

they pay for your apartment rent, some extra spending money, some money for gas and a bonus.

yeah a couple of my friends did that two years back. i was gonna join em but i figured id rather just visit them. the downside to contract work like that was that you were pretty much at the mercy of the hospital staffing meaning you most likely got the shit assignments, but the benefits are good..Ive met a couple traveling nurses here in NY and yeah they are definitely down for a good time.

yeah thats true but the travel nurses i met at scripps hospital were RN's doing med surg. they did 3 month stints. the girl i talked to started out in Florida for 3 months, then Hawaii for three months and now san diego for 3 months and extended her san diego work at scripps for another 3 months, her and her boyfriend are both travel nurses and have been working together like this. They are both RN's. they want to stop and apply to the hospital to stay here in san diego.

Scripps hospital is in La Jolla san diego overlooking Torry Pines golf course and the ocean at the same time. one of the nicest hospitals in SD. I'm sure their hospitals in florida and hawaii were nice too. But one thing about the travel nurse deal is that i dont know do you get to pick what cities you work in or do they just pick it for you?

Wow, sounds like you're just breezing through life.

+rep?

Breezing? Far from it. I just made it sound like a happy go lucky story. :P

This sounds like one of those christmas/New Year letters i get.

Oops. :o

Guest jeffvyain

spending the next 6 months coming up with a business plan for some form of manufacturing in china. then starting a business.

i have a feeling im gonna finish highschool iwth a 6.4-6.5 out of 7 gpa

i will probably end up at UT or some nice state school

but thats only if i dont figure out what i want to do before then

and i havent figured that out

help me???

i like people and the study of them

and religion and the study of that, main religions and mysticism and practices like that

history and history of religion

and i like stuff that deals with the unconsious, my mom used to work at the Jung center of Houston so ive been immersed in alot of that

what can i study that

A. makes money

B. is interesting?