The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

Starting college in the fall as an advertising major. Starting to plan how to pay off my loans and doing big boy shit. Nowhere is set in my mind but I definitely want to get out of the midwest and move to a city after school. How many of you made the move when you graduated? Interested to see who moved out to Nyc, Portland, etc. and how it all worked out.

I will graduate economics in June after a year abroad living in Sweden. I plan on moving to Berlin after I spend a month travelling around Asia this summer. So far no actual project, but I want to create my own job, maybe even start doing something very big.

Been accepted in Central St Martins in London, but i'm kind of afraid of moving to a city where i basically know nobody, but i am kind of excited about it in the same time. Strange feeling

well it's not like you were moving to a small village. you'll meet loads of people there.

• 2 weeks later...

someone find me a receptionist/customer service job in nyc/brooklyn with flexible hours pleaaaase

school starts in 2 months but i still gotta pay rent

i will cook you a full meal at your convenience if you do

Working in a project finance group for the summer. The group is new because the bank is expanding in the US. It's pretty cool. I'm getting paid above street and it seems like it won't generally go over 60 hours a week. Get exposure to sponsors. The only thing is that deal flow in this space is supposed to be pretty bad (glut of natural gas has changed the power industry)...but at the same time it works a bit different in this group. Being exposed to risk means we do all the due diligence and modeling and then pitch as a lender as opposed to pitching and then doing the actual work.

Which is to say I have it pretty good for a summer finance gig - getting paid in NYC and not working like a slave while still getting necessary skills. Even though my group is new, a lot of the European banks are scaling back in the project finance space where they've traditionally been leaders and banks from other countries are swooping in.

Not sure if I want to do it after graduating (or finance for that matter) but yeah.

I work as an engineer in offshore construction in Australia and South East Asia. I work roughly 3 months of the year on a boat installing subsea structures and pipelines for oil & gas companies. The rest of my time is spent in the office. Get to travel often, sadly mostly just to Singapore/Malaysia/Batam Indonesia though. Thinking about getting a job in West Africa,UAE (for the epic monies) or Norway (cause its an awesome place).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Met an awesome girl 3 years ago who got me out of our town and traveling to various places i honestly thought i would never see (hong kong, macau, japan, mexico, varies places in the US).

Just got back from San Diego (comicon). Planning on getting married in October.

Thinking about going back to school and starting the radiology program.

Considering I had some very self destructive habits before i met her (drugs/ alcohol/depression) i think i've come far in the last few years.

9 days till i leave aus for 6 months, doin a group tour of the us west coast then heading to uni at BSU in idaho. should be an experience. sayin yes to everything concept (nomo)

Starting college soon at West Virginia University (I move in on the 16th). Majoring in Sociology/Anthropology, Might minor in economics as well, and I'm in the honors college too. Shits gonna be pretty cool.

Met an awesome girl 3 years ago who got me out of our town and traveling to various places i honestly thought i would never see (hong kong, macau, japan, mexico, varies places in the US).

Just got back from San Diego (comicon). Planning on getting married in October.

Thinking about going back to school and starting the radiology program.

Considering I had some very self destructive habits before i met her (drugs/ alcohol/depression) i think i've come far in the last few years.

keep on going on that path Bro!! Much Respect...

Bout to start my Junior year at a college in NY. I'm really trying to get a job or internship, but my only free days will be Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. And I look like I'm 16 when I'm actually 20. I'm already stressing out over this year and it hasn't even started.

Graduated a month ago and got my BA in Criminology (yes, it's a joke degree)...

Wanted to become a Police officer, but I realized

sadfaceb.jpg

(skinny Asian guy =\= police officer) - in case you didn't understand.

It's not that I didn't try to get bigger, I worked out at the school gym and fitness center 2-3 times a week for like 2 years. I didn't gain weight and I was too afraid to drink those weird protein bro-shakes to bulk up. So now, I'm all sadface and don't know what to do.

Edited by IWishIWasADino

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

got a useless fine arts degree a year ago that is impossible to get a decent paying job with in the field.

currently have the scummiest job on the planet herding models to vip events and clubs and having scummy rich guys spend retarded amounts of money on alcohol to try to impress them (haven't seen it work yet).

really want to get into more solid event planning but can't really figure out the way to go about it, pretty bored of my current situation even though it more then pays for the bills and has its occasion perks.

took a gap year at 18 trying to 1) take a break from constant studying and 2) figure out what i actually want to study at university

achieved 1) pretty well; not so much 2). kind of mentally blocked the idea of going to university to the best of my ability for a whole year, simply because i find it so intimidating. like it's just a big treadmill of debt that crunches hundreds of thousands of kids up every year and spits them out a few years later with no job.

now 19; gap year is officially over in like 9 days when i am going to a university that is fairly reputable but one that i really could not be less enthusiastic about - leeds uni, UK - to study politics

...which i now realise over and over again every day when i wake up is not an employable skill. who is going to pay me to know about politics? hell i dont want to be a politician, but even if i did, i bet there isnt a single politician in the world who actually studied for a politics degree. man.... shit!!!

Edited by tentpole

^ thought the teenage years were bad? you're going to enjoy the anxiety of being in your 20s.

(p.s. don't sweat it. what's truly important in university is what you're doing outside the classroom. the two points on your CV about going to university [and you're going to a great one stupid] is that you show your potential future employers you don't breathe from the mouth only. figure out what you REALLY want to do [what makes you happy? start with answering that question honestly] and start doing it. Or take another year off if you're still not sure.)