The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

about to turn 25 - in my final year of a psych undergrad whilst working at american apparel to pay the bills. looking at doing a grad diploma in either organizational h.r. or drug rehabilitation next year, although i'm not sure which to do. i really don't want to be a suit and tie 9-5 until i'm 65ish, but i guess its going to be inevitable in my case - that's probably why i put off going to uni for so many years.

Edited by conqueror

at a point of life where i struggle to pay rent, owes a shitload and student loan and still in school. long term girlfriend just left too.

the upside is that i can still feel a positive force and direction to go, not as bad as i thought.

"aren't you at wharton? how can you have trouble finding work?" hahaha, that statement would definitely have made sense a couple years ago. Banking industry is going through change. Shits rough to say the least. Just going to a top target and getting a decent gpa doesn't cut it anymore (my strategy going into college). If you don't have connections or aren't a rockstar, even harvard kids will have to bust their ass for top jobs.

banks won't be falling all over themselves to offer you jobs anymore. though the wharton name still has cache even in this bust market. I have always found the undergrads to be a little brighter/smarter than your MBA counterparts. i would recommend you steer away from banking if you want to get rich quick. as you said the industry is going through a tough change. it will never be like 2005-2008 again.

im 29 now.

still trading FX for a bulge bracket bank.

doing fashion classes on the side / finishing one-year course next week.

fashion brand will go full-start summer.

can't stop / won't stop.

Edited by djrajio

man i wish i was taking computer science classes next quarter...

i switched my major to art and i'm happy because it means i can just do whatever projects i want (even ones involving programming) but like i miss the constant crunch that is computer science. though art is that too...

that said realistically i think i want to work in fashion (again) after i graduate. i would drop out today but my fam would kill me so i want to finish...

djrajio hows fashion classes? thinking about doing a 1 year certificate program, maybe in san francisco, because while i've worked in garment production, there's definitely a lot i didn't learn that i could have from school i think...

idk i just want to start a clothing label. maybe i will this summer in some limited aspect...

that said i've been thinking also of just taking all the money i have saved up (very little) and moving to japan. just don't know that i could get a job and survive there... maybe its time to look into teaching english in japan...

anyway still got this year and then next year before i graduate so that time to make a plan

all i know is i want to leave the u.s. soon

man i wish i was taking computer science classes next quarter...

i switched my major to art and i'm happy because it means i can just do whatever projects i want (even ones involving programming) but like i miss the constant crunch that is computer science. though art is that too...

that said realistically i think i want to work in fashion (again) after i graduate. i would drop out today but my fam would kill me so i want to finish...

djrajio hows fashion classes? thinking about doing a 1 year certificate program, maybe in san francisco, because while i've worked in garment production, there's definitely a lot i didn't learn that i could have from school i think...

idk i just want to start a clothing label. maybe i will this summer in some limited aspect...

that said i've been thinking also of just taking all the money i have saved up (very little) and moving to japan. just don't know that i could get a job and survive there... maybe its time to look into teaching english in japan...

anyway still got this year and then next year before i graduate so that time to make a plan

all i know is i want to leave the u.s. soon

fashion school has been the best decision I've made. I now realize I need do my own thing and I'm more of the creative type. trading makes good money but I can't imagine doing it for the rest of my life. I'm just not that passionate about it. Fashion I could probably do everyday for 12 hours a day and still not get bored with it. That's how much I love fashion. Which probably qualifies me as freaking nuts. But oh well. Probably why I'm still on this board since 2005....

fashion school has been the best decision I've made. I now realize I need do my own thing and I'm more of the creative type. trading makes good money but I can't imagine doing it for the rest of my life. I'm just not that passionate about it. Fashion I could probably do everyday for 12 hours a day and still not get bored with it. That's how much I love fashion. Which probably qualifies me as freaking nuts. But oh well. Probably why I'm still on this board since 2005....

yeah dude i can happily stay up until 3 am figuring out how to make things with a sewing machine, but i really don't like so much of my school work... oh well trying to finish it all up, would take way more school to transfer at this point, just glad to be ending it, and art classes are fun too, no doubt. just finished this big museum project with my class and the local art museum, which is small, but still, finishing a big project is fun.

i'm so glad i dropped out and worked in fashion when i had the chance. now i just want to finish school and go back to it.

and yeah you def need the 12 hours a day type of dedication. i had more than a few of those days when i was working... and i know my boss clocked in at least that much every day if not more...

Edited by OCEANSECT

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Lab, March 15, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Lab, March 15, 2012 - No reason given

finished fellowship

have another lined up

get my master's in a month

med school 2013

i want to do ph.d. concurrently with m.d. but i've been told time and time again it's not a good idea. i have 0 debt and i want to keep it that way.

Edited by Lab

My company is doing a sale of 10% equity right now, so I've been working on due diligence and the current 2011 EOY audit. My second company is doing very well this year - we developed a commercial mass spec and an excellent, cheap ion source that we plan on debuting this year at ASMS. We also have something like 2-3M in government grants for research - sadly, that's really really good these days industry wide.

I also run a small, personal fund with only around 14M, on a daily basis. I'm currently in the process of completing my application to Columbia business school, but I don't see myself having any problems getting in at all. That's about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I also run a small, personal fund with only around 14M, on a daily basis. I'm currently in the process of completing my application to Columbia business school, but I don't see myself having any problems getting in at all. That's about it.

Was interested in trading or equity research with a view of getting into a hedge fund.

Not sure if i should

A. MFE eg at columbia...

B. CFA

Q1 numbers are up 450% from last year. 99% (literally, i calculated it) of that comes from my work. also set the company record for single largest order.

thursday at 8am, i'm going to inform my boss what he is going to pay me in 2012.

things are looking good.

thought this deserved an update.

the conversation mentioned in the above quote resulted in a promotion as well. whooo-wee being at the director level is vastly different than just an account executive. working a whole hell of a lot harder, but getting paid better. went from presenting to buyers to presenting my 3 year plan to the ceo and chairman and managing a 6 person national sales team, being involved in budgeting, production, etc..

also since i have ascended in the ranks i have had a lot of people vying for my spot. feels like every month a new challenger enters. had to decapitate several contestants, but hey, fuck it, keeps the sword sharp.

only major downside i have noticed is that as my stress level increases my lifestyle has gotten more excessive. spend lots on jawns, expensive booze, expensive food, hungover? fuck it i'll take a cab to work, etc etc. although this is more a reflection of how i handle stress rather a problem with the job.

basically trying to figure out my next move. i intend to stick around for a while at this level to build my resume and contact list, but i have an eye on a few higher-end brands i'd like to work for. to be continued

about to sign another commercial lease and expand my store, but pushing a way better deal this time. Finally getting the opportunity to take all the hard lessons I've learned over the years and let them work in my favor this time. Getting back into a few categories we'd dropped out of, and gonna reach into housewares and the such. It's inspiring to get to redesign a space and start from scratch...looking forward to it.

i'm graduating in 4 weeks double majoring in finance and marketing and i don't know what the fuck i'm doing

for now i have full course load and still work almost full time in a meatpacking plant, i've been applying and cold calling everywhere (150-200 places) for almost two months and haven't had one single phone interview and i don't have the grades for graduate school, my mother had a brain tumor and retired early and i had to start working to help my dad pay the bills while in school which fucked my gpa big time and of course firms don't like excuses so i'm out of luck

on top of that, i've been seeing two girls lately, one doing is her cpa and the other is taking the bar in may and it's frustrating cause they're just breezing through life and i don't

i have no loans to pay back and actually have accumulated decent savings over the years, i was given my european citizenship for my birthday and i was thinking of moving for the summer to portugal where my aunt is a nun / teacher at a prestigious boarding school where i could stay for free so i can figure out a plan

tl;dr i wanna be a beach bum and have fun in life again

Gonna finish my didactic part of pharmacy school soon and start rotations. Probably going to pursue to residency to enter a hospital/clinical career.

Medicine = a lot of hard work but very gratifying. you get to help your friends, family and loved ones with their problems!

i'm graduating in 4 weeks double majoring in finance and marketing and i don't know what the fuck i'm doing

for now i have full course load and still work almost full time in a meatpacking plant, i've been applying and cold calling everywhere (150-200 places) for almost two months and haven't had one single phone interview and i don't have the grades for graduate school, my mother had a brain tumor and retired early and i had to start working to help my dad pay the bills while in school which fucked my gpa big time and of course firms don't like excuses so i'm out of luck

on top of that, i've been seeing two girls lately, one doing is her cpa and the other is taking the bar in may and it's frustrating cause they're just breezing through life and i don't

i have no loans to pay back and actually have accumulated decent savings over the years, i was given my european citizenship for my birthday and i was thinking of moving for the summer to portugal where my aunt is a nun / teacher at a prestigious boarding school where i could stay for free so i can figure out a plan

tl;dr i wanna be a beach bum and have fun in life again

props to you man, i hope it works out. i know so many people (inc on here) who just had mummy and daddy pay for their whole way through college and wouldn't know what struggling or stress meant even if it punched them in the fucking head. you will be stronger and better because of it in the end.

Edited by conqueror

I decided to take a year off and move to Germany after I graduate Economics in June. I will focus on my writings, music producing and hopefully start working on bikes and/or cars while working/interning somewhere and overall living the life. Then I was thinking about maybe starting a Master in Political Science or something related in AW2013/2014.

Currently working for a company doing mapping over cities. Pretty damn boring, but I have an awesome schedule (basically work 6 months out of the year), make salary, and get to travel all over. It's too easy of a job for this early in life though. Cant decide whether I want to go to the airlines or go back to school for some type of engineering.