The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

Since I finished serving the army in September, I have done nothing with my life other than bumming and making music. I need a job but umm... I just can't bring myself to do it! I might just run away from here and look for a job overseas.

I am gonna graduate economics (ba) in June and am doing my exchange year in sweden right now. I have no clue whatsoever what to do later. I sort of feel like i should get into management or something, or try to get an internship somewhere. i should research more but .......

Q1 numbers are up 450% from last year. 99% (literally, i calculated it) of that comes from my work. also set the company record for single largest order.

thursday at 8am, i'm going to inform my boss what he is going to pay me in 2012.

things are looking good.

I guess you're buyin' dinner when i reach town.

internship done in 2 weeks, i busted my ass today to finish a project i was assigned yesterday for another team. presenting it to the CIO on monday.

flight's in exactly one month, to sweden for a study term abroad. very excited. found out yesterday that my rent there is $285 a month (wtf?) so i have a lot more money to live

Edited by eggshell

after and while i was completing my ms in human-computer interaction in june, i've been doing a lot of freelance usability and design work with some clients around chicago. it's been a great experience and got to do some pretty cool stuff with hospitals and rare coin dealers.

recently though, i landed a great job downtown working for a big pharmacy chain. you know, the one on every corner? it's still contracting, but i get 40/hrs a week and benefits through the staffing agency, so i'm happy for now. probably will transition to a full timer in a few months. best part is that i get to play with and design for mobile devices exclusively, which i love. feel really fortunate to have landed it.

if anyone wants to nerd out about mobiles or ux, feel free to pm me, i'm happy to talk about it.

edit; ugh i repped myself. i swear i'm not that cocky.

Edited by arcarsenal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i am looking at seattle right now and it seems really affordable. thinking about going out with a friend and splitting a place maybe. i am glad to be feeling like i am in control of my life and can put it in a direction i want to go. where is a good cheap city to move to and find some job working in a kitchen w.e. something like that. i was thinking portland maybe

this is exactly what i did after my first year of college--just couldn't get motivated after deciding it wasn't making me happy, and couldn't see myself happy in the forseeable future. so i put school on hold, left town with two close friends, and moved into a house in seattle. didn't have much, but it was one of the happiest times in my life.

Following up and a bit off-topic/rant; VERY LONG, skip to last paragraph for tl;dr

So I recently discovered how expensive the CFA exam and material can add up to, initially thinking it would be affordable.

Having graduated about 6 months ago now, interning full-time, and having to pay off a $27k student loan, I am in a bit of drift--moving along in life day by day with no solid plan but only hopes and dreams.

I eventually want to go back to school I keep telling myself, statistics or a joint JD/MBA program, despite the stigma of the latter academic prospect. Graduated undergrad from an average school, double-majored in statistics and finance. I thoroughly enjoyed statistics more, seeing how the classroom was much smaller and more in-depth compared to your general business admin concentration with an average class size in the double digits to the hundreds. I still have a soft spot for finance though, researching and analytical type work. Maybe that is why I enjoy both subjects concurrently as a lot of quantitative analysis is involved.

I enjoyed math, though it is not my strongest area. Where the JD comes to mind is that I also really enjoy reading and writing, or at least brainstorming ideas and putting them into concrete, palpable setting. And to be frank, having taken business law&ethics, the JD type lingo coexisting with foundational business sense is a very interesting topic to me.

Currently I am interning at private wealth management firm, realizing shortly it is completely irrelevant as a whole to my goal of a CFA. Essentially CFP are involved with planning and the selling side, working with carriers and dealers. I am not a sales driven individual by heart, so I am being very resistant to the idea. More so, I highly doubt the management will be compliant with me if they found out I really want to pursue a CFA rather than become another rep. On the upside, there are some defining features of this internship that has given me some broader perspective--enjoying the topics of estate planning, mutual funds and 401k plans. Life insurance and VA's seem like a big old scam, but I am being ignorant as I probably do not fully understand the products.

Another note, I mesh well with my all my colleagues, but there is something about the culture that I am not fond of. Maybe I am meant to do public work rather than private. People are just kind of self-fish, insincere, and have a lack of consideration. Everything is fabricated it seems, and advisers, a lot but not all, just kind of regurgitate the same thing. All that said though, I think it would be a great opportunity to work here and build up some rapport and experience.

Back to my intial "goals"...having a feeling that I am working against time, I feel old as hell for some reason, I think pursuing the CFA then graduate program is my plan. CFA though may change, perhaps I may get a CFP but just do consulting but no sales. Another certification of interest is the FRM. A lot of these certification I am considering though is more about having the educational background at the end more so than being able to be professionally licensed to rake in commission etc. ....

i live at home, used to live in an apartment. school drop out. got kciked out of my latest school. no friends. no job. school starts in 8 months. i hate my life. at least i'm getting my driver's license soon.

i dunno wat to do for the next 8 months if i dont find a job.

fuck <_<

I've decided to apply for doctoral programs at grad schools, and I'm really hoping I get into this paid summer research thing. I fucked up and didn't ask my PI for a letter of rec early enough, the grad student I'm working with is writing it for me and the professor is signing off on it but it's due in like 2 days and I asked him last week. if that doesn't work out I applied to a bunch of other biotech company internships and if I don't get anything then I'm gonna study abroad in london taking economics classes and maybe stay a few extra quarters to double major and do more research. I also wanna try and submit a paper for publication to boost my grad school chances, my grades are just allright so I'm banking on solid research experience plus good letters of rec.

moved in with my grandpa for the remainder of the semester, instead of living right downtown. saving close to $800 a month alone from not having to pay rent, which is delightful. it now takes about an hour to commute on the subway to school, but with that kind of savings, i can take it.

this is the first year in a long long time i'm starting with a plan to achieve some serious goals/aspirations, and one month in, i'm sticking to it. My first half-marathon race is in a month, and i'm not even scared of it anymore. i'm in great physical shape, my music is coming along pretty well (i've started fucking with ableton live and pro tools, and recently bought a MIDI controller), and i'm finally starting to knock a dent into my school debt. feels good man.

on a similar note, i'm seriously considering signing up for this.

I've had 2 dramatically different businesses on my mind for a long time, and I'm feeling like I finally have enough of the resources in place to make both of them happen. One is a somewhat simple / short term thing, a consumer product, that I could see building and then selling off pretty easily, and another that has the potential to become huge and be my focus for the rest of my life...and maybe hand down to my kids. It's time to put my money where my mouth is and see if these work.

6 months out of college, 3 months of it interning. no pay.

at the end of 3 months, the firm extends their wishes to keep me on as an intern, now with a stipend.

no capacity to pick up a new hire (but they are actively seeking a marketing associate) wtf?

question: am i fucking crazy to stick around? in general it is a good learning experience and a field I am interested in. Why the hell do i think i am being cheated though? not sure how much the stipend is yet, but i am going to cry if it is like $200

tough life. i have been reading through DoL 6 codes lately about qualified internships for for-profit companies.

the thing is, if they tell me later that they plan on hiring me after the next 3 months, technically i am considered an employee by law already.

just a shitty feeling. they do not let me go, but leave me hanging.

Edited by gettoasty

Posted in superconfessional about how frustrated I was getting no interviews through OCR at a great school. Still haven't gotten any interviews through OCR and as an international student I don't really like my odds at this point. I know way too many qualified people in the same situation.

Sent my resume to the recruiting e-mail of the Toronto branch of a great investment bank and they called me three hours later asking if I can be in Toronto next week. I know people say that no one reads resumes through e-mail drops, but it saved me and I'm reallllllly excited by the prospect of working for this place. Hoping it works out

6 months out of college, 3 months of it interning. no pay.

at the end of 3 months, the firm extends their wishes to keep me on as an intern, now with a stipend.

no capacity to pick up a new hire (but they are actively seeking a marketing associate) wtf?

question: am i fucking crazy to stick around? in general it is a good learning experience and a field I am interested in. Why the hell do i think i am being cheated though? not sure how much the stipend is yet, but i am going to cry if it is like $200

tough life. i have been reading through DoL 6 codes lately about qualified internships for for-profit companies.

the thing is, if they tell me later that they plan on hiring me after the next 3 months, technically i am considered an employee by law already.

just a shitty feeling. they do not let me go, but leave me hanging.

im pretty sure they have to pay you if you're not in school, but i guess its all in how you argue it...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/10/business/10interns.html

Posted in superconfessional about how frustrated I was getting no interviews through OCR at a great school. Still haven't gotten any interviews through OCR and as an international student I don't really like my odds at this point. I know way too many qualified people in the same situation.

Sent my resume to the recruiting e-mail of the Toronto branch of a great investment bank and they called me three hours later asking if I can be in Toronto next week. I know people say that no one reads resumes through e-mail drops, but it saved me and I'm reallllllly excited by the prospect of working for this place. Hoping it works out

aren't you at wharton?

how can you have trouble finding work?

Edited by boy better know

I don't know to be honest. This year has been awful in terms of recruiting (ft and summer) and when 500 people at Penn drop resumes for 28 interview spots and only a fraction of that get the job, it's pretty rough. There's also tunnel vision because not doing investment banking or management consulting is like unimaginable to most people, and those are really the only two big industries that recruit on campus.

"aren't you at wharton?

how can you have trouble finding work?"

hahaha, that statement would definitely have made sense a couple years ago. Banking industry is going through change. Shits rough to say the least. Just going to a top target and getting a decent gpa doesn't cut it anymore (my strategy going into college). If you don't have connections or aren't a rockstar, even harvard kids will have to bust their ass for top jobs.

Edited by yooneunhye38

• 2 weeks later...

gonna be a nurse or physician's assitant, not sure yet. I just want to be able to get a job anywhere I go easy. I make music on the side, trying to make that pop off at the same time. Honestly, I would much rather go to school for record engineering so I can ease my way into the industry. Too bad that would mean taking out a loan for damn near 40k. So I'm gonna do something in the medical field then invest in my dreams after. IM GETTING A GRAMMY BEFORE I DIE, I SWEAR IT!!!

It's hard studying for something you aren't absolutely passionate about, but I guess it's discipline.

Edited by Ghettobob

• 2 weeks later...

i'm finishing school in may but i've just really focused the last six months to going out and being 23. i've found that living in the city is one of the biggest blessings and curses ever. sometimes i can go out for three days straight and not pay 1 dollar and still go to whatever club i want and get bottle service.. somedays i wake up and wish i spent the 350 tab on jawnz.

i've worked a lot the last few years while in school and had some offers through that. i'm hopeful that when i finish i won't just be floating around doing nothing and not be able to get a job. then again my rent is so fucking insignificant and i have enough money saved up to ride it out until september, and i only have like 7k in loans so it's not too big of a deal.

working in the fine art scene in nyc is pretty crazy tho, i feel like it's all about networking and who you know in order to make (i guess just like anything else). luckily for me i got hooked up with some really good internship last year and got a lot of contacts that i think can really help me progress and find work. besides that i found that promoting and shit for clubs is a great way to make money on the side if you like going out and getting paid for it.