The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

I finally finished my undergraduate degree. I'm now living and working in Toronto for a Canadian bank as a personal banker. I'm going to make some cash, build up a respectable work wardrobe, pay off some student loans, and start studying for the LSATs.

just found out I get to have the "WTF are you doing with your life" talk with my wife's younger brother. 19, never had a job, wants to be a dancer / actor, thinks working a normal job will corrupt his ambitions. Problem is his parents actually need him to work to help support the household. I think my first point of order is to encourage him to take down the DragonBall Z and Chuck Norris facts posters in his room.

go to nyu and incur 80k in debt and hope to transfer into steinhardt instead of CAS to be a special ed teacher

stay home at san jose state uni and be a special ed teacher locally with little to no debt

i has 3 days to decide

^ how about transfer to Cal? much better school than NYU and should be significantly cheaper for you as well i am guessing.

i really don't think NYU is worth 80k in debt. in fact, outside of HYPSM (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, and MIT) incurring debt for an undergraduate education IMO is a huge waste. especially more so if you are considering a profession where a graduate degree is required/valued most of the time (like in your case).

if you want to go into areas of specialized teaching/pedagogy, generally a graduate school is the credited answer. i would suggest you go to whatever school is cheapest for you, kick ass there, and apply to peabody (vanderbilt) / teachers college (columbia).

while NYU's undergraduate program at steinhardt might be attractive to you given your interests, but also consider the fact that there will be people coming out of graduate programs at various top schools of education who will be more qualified and well-trained than you might be.

Finally going to stop being such a bitch about advanced math kicking my ass, and continuing that computer science degree I started some odd 8 years ago...

go to nyu and incur 80k in debt and hope to transfer into steinhardt instead of CAS to be a special ed teacher

stay home at san jose state uni and be a special ed teacher locally with little to no debt

i has 3 days to decide

honestly, just go wherever you think will be a better environment to develop yourself as a person. NYU is a good school and NY is a great city. if your (parent's) wallet can take the hit, go to NYU. Staying home may save you money but you might also miss out on a lot of fun/meaningful experiences

i has 3 days to decide

I thought nyu is 54k a year?

currently working as a 3d artist making those virtual tours/development visualisations

i love the job, but theres absolutely nowhere to move up and the industry is tiny so jumping to another company is pretty hard. considering going back to uni and taking up another profession but i don't want to piss away all my current qualifications / do 4 years of student life again :(

80K isn't bad for 4 years of school, for 2010-2014. Paying it off before you start looking old and still live your life with the regular expenses though, well, welcome to the real world, where 80K don't exactly rain on the regular.

8 more apps to go

2 interview invites

med school process sucks, but im almost over the hump

i hate this shit, ive got 6 more to go and at the same time everyone who just started med school is telling me how shitty it is and how i should seriously consider a switch before its too late. thanks a lot guys

also don't know what to do with a year off, will probably move to SF or NY and do ... something, finding a job ain't easy with 3/4 a year and interviews

but nah life is okay!

crissy, if you're got scholarships i would seriously consider NYU, being from CA i wish i had gone to school in NY, but i guess i still ended up on the east coast

depends on the state. Delaware(which is where I'm doing my CPA) only requires an additional 30 credits of accounting classes. You're better off taking the courses that lead to a masters degree anyways, just because the FAR section is fucking brutal, and having a masters + CPA means a jump in salary that is not negligible.

Not to mention it's like the easiest path from there to a Finance MBA since you are already aware of accounting methods, laws and regulations, etc.

ya every state requires 150 hours now; i could just take some classes to meet that requirement, but i'm trying to get into a good macc program for the internship placement that comes along with it. going to be expensive and probably not worth it, but at least i have something to tell people when they ask me what im doing.

i hate this shit, ive got 6 more to go and at the same time everyone who just started med school is telling me how shitty it is and how i should seriously consider a switch before its too late. thanks a lot guys

also don't know what to do with a year off, will probably move to SF or NY and do ... something, finding a job ain't easy with 3/4 a year and interviews

but nah life is okay!

crissy, if you're got scholarships i would seriously consider NYU, being from CA i wish i had gone to school in NY, but i guess i still ended up on the east coast

if its any consolation, my first year med school friend at vanderbilt was talking about how awesome med school has been so far. The student life seems to be really fun, but its all a work hard play hard type of deal.

I guess its how you come to view medicine. If you see it as an option more than your life goal/dream/etc then I could see where your friends are comin from. But I feel if you are really set and know you want to be a doctor, then you'll be fine regardless. Besides, i'm sure talking about the difficulty of med school is a sweet bragging right and I'd probably do it too.

shinchrono, if you're in the LA area perhaps theres some way u can get into research somewhere at ucla. or wherever u did undergrad. You might be able to get paid or in the least bit just do it as volunteer work to put down on your "what have you been doing since you've graduated?" shit

new update on my shit

4 interview invites (nebraska, california, pennsylvania, new york)

still a handful of secondaries (rush, miami, loyola, loma linda, another i think)

I have a friend that attends med school. I've known him for only the 4 years throughout undergrad, but being that he a) wasn't hellbent on having to be doing something all the time, and B) really enjoys his craft he likes med school. He assures me, though, that it's a lot of work.

i would certainly consider the quality of the school over location though, NY is cool and all but post undergraduate you should really be thinking about the school you're going to and not your surrounding areas.

• 1 month later...

i've been working as a doctor for almost 3 months now since i graduated med school. i want to quit so bad. the money is pretty good, considering all my friends who are unemployed but shit, this thing is eating up my life.

i've been racking my brain for alternative ideas. i'm still 24, not too late to bail out and do something entirely different.

i've been working as a doctor for almost 3 months now since i graduated med school. i want to quit so bad. the money is pretty good, considering all my friends who are unemployed but shit, this thing is eating up my life.

i've been racking my brain for alternative ideas. i'm still 24, not too late to bail out and do something entirely different.

you're a doctor at only 24? that's pretty impressive, realistically the youngest you could be one here (australia) is 26.

Unless you're doogie howser, you aint a doctor at 24. But you're right about one thing, at 24 it's certainly not too late to start another career.

^^ lol i'm 24 and i'm beginning medical school.

sometimes i think i'm wasting the best parts of my life living in a library.

'coulda been a surfer-programmer, telecommuting in off the coast of brazil, but nope, had to go back and get thangs done.

wait hold on, you're doing your residency and you don't expect it to eat up your life? man, stop being so whiny, they brought down the hours for straight shifts from 48hrs to 36hrs. lol, what's your specialty?

i tell chicks at parties i'm a nuclear physicist, and i'm working on entropy destruction, quantum entanglement, ya know that kinda thing. And now that I got it all working out, I can teleport things across the room. and come back to my place i'll demonstrate my apparatus and teleport yo panties off

i tell chicks at parties i'm a nuclear physicist, and i'm working on entropy destruction, quantum entanglement, ya know that kinda thing. And now that I got it all working out, I can teleport things across the room. and come back to my place i'll demonstrate my apparatus and teleport yo panties off

haha i tried that a few times. I'm close (biochem) but no quantum entanglement. I was at some graduate student's party near campus and tried that.

her:"So, uh, which lab at (my uni) do you work at?"

me: "uh, (thinking rapidly), kobakawski, for uh (oh shit shit), quantum superconduction?" :cool:

her: :rolleyes: "The physics department isn't that large. i think I've seen you around the bio labs, right?"

me: "Um, want another beer?" ;)