Helvetica

yuljo

I went to the Toronto premiere of Helvetica and it was such a solid documentary done very professionally with amazing music selections. It was also amazing (for me personally) to see and hear all these design "superstars" give their thoughts on Helvetica.

The main fault with the documentary though is that if you have no background or knowledge about typography or graphic design then I don't know how much you'll enjoy it.

Anyone else see it yet?

• 1 month later...

Saw this last night. Really a cool little movie. Not boring at all--the designers go into the effects of design/typeface design on "real" life enough that I think even people who "don't care" about design will be amused. It does drag a little about 3/4 through. The interviewees are great though, very humorous and self-deprecating, against what you might expect. Should be out on DVD this fall, according to the director, Gary Hustwit, who also produced the Wilco doc and the Ted Leo doc.

whiskey, what do you think of the superfuture wordmark? :)

Excellent posts.

I didn't even know of the movie until this. I might catch it on dvd, though. Which designers were there?

+ reps for the yuljo and mlproject for information.

I think Helvetica is the single most overrated, pick-it-if-you-want-to-look-designy font. EVARRR.

That said the film sounds interesting and I've heard it's pretty good.

Er, what?

I need to find a theater showing this.

I imagine Vince Frost is in this at some point?

Speaking of Frost, I want to check out his book.

• 3 months later...

They had a presale (sold out now) of a special edition that came with assorted crap, but I don't think it ships until the regular release. Part of the package was a piece of helvetica type.

Anyone know a good source for sets of type--just to have? I guess non-lead preferred. I used to love fucking around with the letterpresses in college.