FRUTIGER font family

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Safari 3.1 now supports embedded truetype and opentype! It's really simple, just put the font file online and add a few lines in your CSS. I tried, and it works. This will (slowly) change typography on the web.

Safari 3.1 now supports embedded truetype and opentype! It's really simple, just put the font file online and add a few lines in your CSS. I tried, and it works. This will (slowly) change typography on the web.

I'm incredibly excited for this

There's a good reason why most browsers use Arial and Verdana - because they're some of the only fonts readable in lower sizes on all computer screens. Keep in mind a computer screen is always 72dpi, which is significantly lower than something in print, so it takes a certain degree of legibility on the fonts part to allow it to be useful at smaller sizes. Univers is perfectly readable at 7 pt. on paper, but not on a screen (in fact Univers is notoriously bad, in my experience, in dealing with screen legibility, despite being one of the most legible print fonts).

It's also not a matter of browsers supporting more fonts, its a matter of more people having those typefaces. 99% of the time, the best way to go about it is Verdana (or Arial) for anything text, and if you want to use a different font, you need to create a graphic for it because a) chances are the people browsing won't have Sauna (amazing font) or whatever you're using, and 2) if they do have it, chances are they aren't at the same screen resolution you are, and don't have their OS set to the same font anti-aliasing setting, so to ensure the legibility you have to manually tweak the image. That way it appears the same on everyone's screen.

Edit: Just saw Gabriel's post. That's really cool, actually.

omg yes this is going to be awesome in the future :eek:

There's a good reason why most browsers use Arial and Verdana - because they're some of the only fonts readable in lower sizes on all computer screens. Keep in mind a computer screen is always 72dpi, which is significantly lower than something in print, so it takes a certain degree of legibility on the fonts part to allow it to be useful at smaller sizes. Univers is perfectly readable at 7 pt. on paper, but not on a screen (in fact Univers is notoriously bad, in my experience, in dealing with screen legibility, despite being one of the most legible print fonts).

It's also not a matter of browsers supporting more fonts, its a matter of more people having those typefaces. 99% of the time, the best way to go about it is Verdana (or Arial) for anything text, and if you want to use a different font, you need to create a graphic for it because a) chances are the people browsing won't have Sauna (amazing font) or whatever you're using, and 2) if they do have it, chances are they aren't at the same screen resolution you are, and don't have their OS set to the same font anti-aliasing setting, so to ensure the legibility you have to manually tweak the image. That way it appears the same on everyone's screen.

Edit: Just saw Gabriel's post. That's really cool, actually.

can't rep, but well said. :cool:

Univers is perfectly readable at 7 pt. on paper, but not on a screen (in fact Univers is notoriously bad, in my experience, in dealing with screen legibility, despite being one of the most legible print fonts).

yeah absolutely. So with the new Safari thing, there'll be a lot of ugly illegible typography on the web one day.

I was told several years ago Firefox was the way to go.. should I switch back to Safari?

I think you need both...

we have the ability to embeed truetype prior to safari. Thing is, unless it's a screen font. It's going to look like shit. (re: gabes comment.)

Univers for example, Quartz has a hard time rendering it out properly on the screen but once you print it out it looks good. Imagine quartz trying to render that for the web? it would just be a jumbled messed of x-heights.

In the future, we'll still be using verdana, airal, and times... However maybe trebuscht will make a come back?

I like Akzidenz-Grotesk out of most all san-serifs, which I actually currently need.

Akzidenz has to be my favourite too, although Im quite fond of Din, dax and meta as well. If you still need akzidenz or petty much anything else for that matter, just pm me I have tonnes of commercial fonts that Im happy to share.

• 2 weeks later...
After the Great Macbook Pro Meltdown of April 08, I've lost most of my commercial fonts. Halp pleehz?

check out the official font thread!