MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

I have had nothing but problems with my MBP... My computer constantly runs at 180degrees and they think that nothing is wrong with my computer... It gets so hot that the keyboard starts to stop working and the lovely folks at Apple Care think its a RAM problem and just tell me to restart my computer all the time. I have only had my machine for 4 months and now the HD is starting to fail, which I am sure is from the heat problem, it litterally makes my hands sweat typing on the keyboard at 180degrees... The last time I spoke wth the applcare rep, he had the audacity to tell me that the Macbook pro is a Laptop and is not intended to use on your lap........ I wish I had never left my lovely IBM.

QUICK QUESTION

Is this a good buy?

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=B8539EC6A5CA7304

Im currently running 512mb ram (gasp!) on my MBP

Im thinking of starting to video edit on here instead of my desktop so I DEF need to upgrade

But i dont know much bout ram, so is this a good brand/compatible/other reccomendations?

Thanks

QUICK QUESTION

Is this a good buy?

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=B8539EC6A5CA7304

Im currently running 512mb ram (gasp!) on my MBP

Im thinking of starting to video edit on here instead of my desktop so I DEF need to upgrade

But i dont know much bout ram, so is this a good brand/compatible/other reccomendations?

Thanks

crucial is a good brand and is highly rated... if u want to do video editing you might want alot more ram then just 2gb or 1.5 you might want to look at 4 gbs.

also do you kno the generation of your MBP. it depends on how old it is because the older models cant support 4 gbs

heres a good referrence

RAM UPGRADE GUIDE

also thats a pretty good forum to keep you up to date on mac stuff

thanks guys...

It looks like mine is an early C2D

So I opted for 2x1gb from Crucial... Came out to $60 shipped.

I really wish they had 2gb sticks for my model, but either way, I'm really excited about this upgrade ... 4x as much ram!

Im not sure of the specs of my regular editing machine (G5), but my brother runs FCP Pro, photoshop, firefox, itunes, etc... on his MBP that has 2gb ram.... So I think I'll be fine

thanks again

Can anyone recommend programs to download music other than Limewire/Soulseex/ and torrents

just got a macbook as a birthday present a few days ago, oh any good games that can run on a Mac other then Blizzard games and Civilization 4??

I have had great luck with torrents, and I use a proxy as well to reduce possible problems. Try out shareminer.com, type in what you are looking for and it looks through Rapidshare links. I've had some luck with a bit more obscure titles.

Can anyone recommend programs to download music other than Limewire/Soulseex/ and torrents

just got a macbook as a birthday present a few days ago, oh any good games that can run on a Mac other then Blizzard games and Civilization 4??

call of duty? don't play games much anymore but i think EA makes games for mac now

Once you go mac you never go back... to pc that is. No more crashes, viruses and blue screens of death for me.

no more crashes?

thats completely bullshit. my macbook crashes on me all the fucking time. particularly when i use photoshop which is just ironic considering macs are supposed to be the graphic designers' choice of compters.

just go to the apple discussion forums and browse, theres plenty of problems with a mac.

please dont buy into the obnoxious marketing of apple. its a decent computer and not that expensive anymore, but dont pretend all of your computer problems will go away once you buy a mac.

yeah that's right. though i don't have any problem with my 2 years old macbook yet, and most of my macfag friends don't have problem either, buying a mac definitely don't make all your computer problem vanish away.

computers, anyway, aren't that reliable, whatever hardware/software it is.

• 6 months later...

macmall has shitty deals.

they get you to buy all kinds of unnecessary crap only to give you like a 20 dollar rebate.

i bought my mac from bestbuy. student discount + reward zone (though it was like a 30 dollar rebate).

if you are buying a mac pro or something ridiculously expensive, i suggest that you apply for a student developer membership. it's a one-time-only discount but the discount is like 20 or 25%.

http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html

wtf, mac said they didnt do student discount when i bought my mbp

you got fucked over.

you could have bought some nice jawns with the money saved

with the discount

enroll yourself in a community college

if you have no friends

or don't know of pc users

speaking of community college,

i once heard that people use CC enrollment as a loop hole to score massive financial aid awards @ private universities.

he's right, i've been to 2 best buy locations in san diego and both the guys there said they dont do the student discounts and that only the apple store does it. did it change or were they just throwin bullshit in my direction?

also do you have to be a full time student to qualify for a student discount?