MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

I have the revo 2700 too. how did you deal with the hdmi issue on linux? I could never get the resolution working right on my tv. With windows, everything worked out of the box. I went from a desktop running as a file server to a low powered nas and it reduced my electricity bill by 20-30 a month.

Which issue? You mean HDMI sound? Did you adjust ALSAmixer? The current version of XBMC for linux doesn't use an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, so it autodetects the resolutions supported by your display and then just picks the highest one. Did you use an XBMC live ISO or something else? I could probably help you through all of this offline if you'd like. :)

that's probably what happened - the default ubuntu distro doesn't include ATI and nvidia drivers. You have to install them separately. The XBMCLive distribution includes them and so they should "just work" especially on an ION system.

You could copy the XBMCLive ISO to a thumb drive and boot from that just to try it out! :)

Im hoping within a couple weeks, probably pretty quick as there have been some wifi issues and a bunch of other shit.

I didn't pay for it so whatever. mine has been fine except for battery life. My mbp is running a lot cooler than it was too. Its not hot to the touch by the plug anymore. No fan activity.

well my brand new macbook pro 13 died in the ass. took it to the *genius* bar and they said my hard drive failed. i've been waiting almost 2 weeks for a replacement after they initially quoted me a 3 day turnaround. fuck apple

Noob Alert.

what do you guys think?

2.7GHz dual-core x 8GB x 750GB Serial ATA Drive 13in Macbook Pro Worth it?

It'd be for school, (Graphic Design Major -__-) work, and everyday use so there would be alot of photos, videos, music on it. Its my last year at uni hopefully and ive skirted by with adobe trials for windows xp, computer labs at school, and even at work im using my bosses laptop. But now ive got senior projects and shit so I dont think what ive been doing is going to cut it.

Thanks

well my brand new macbook pro 13 died in the ass. took it to the *genius* bar and they said my hard drive failed. i've been waiting almost 2 weeks for a replacement after they initially quoted me a 3 day turnaround. fuck apple

bummer.... i just changed my harddrive in my 2007 macbook pro, took it apart, changed it, follow youtube tutorial, it was fucking easy.

I would suggest buying a 2007-2008 macbook pro in good shape if you can't afford a new one, they are amazing machines, indestructible almost and can be upgraded easily, they can be had for 300-500 bucks, through in 6gb of ram and a 500gb harddrive for 100 bucks combined and your good as gold for the next 3 years!

apparently they are in the final stages of testing an even thinner air-esque 15in and 17in laptop that would fall under the "macbook pro" class, so keep this in mind if your considering buying (may be available by christmas), as this could mean that they are looking to eliminate the optical drive in the latest model.

apparently they are in the final stages of testing an even thinner air-esque 15in and 17in laptop that would fall under the "macbook pro" class, so keep this in mind if your considering buying (may be available by christmas), as this could mean that they are looking to eliminate the optical drive in the latest model.

would they really release another macbook pro already? i'd think they'd wait at least a year..

especially with iphone4s/5 + ipad3 + ipod updates to push out..

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I been looking into the rumors about a new pro. Im not sure if im feeling the idea of no optical drive though. They may be pushing that disc is dead shit but Id still like to have it there.

so i did this last night by trying to shut my screen as i always do:

photolt.jpg

scaled.php?server=812&filename=photo1ix.jpg&res=medium

fwiw, its the first gen pf the current body style MBPs, released in Oct 08- non-unibody. I closed the screen and this happened. The bottom portion of the glass disconnected from the lid/roof. When i closed it, it seems like the hinge didnt move and the bottom portion of my screen just cracked.

The damage is all physical as my laptop still works.

My buddy quoted me about $600 to fix it. Im considering putting $600 into it to hopefully get 800-1000 when i resell it. Does that seem logical?

Anyone have any recommendations?

I wouldn't pay $600 to fix it, it may not be worth the trouble as you may only get very close to that if you resell it.

dovo i'd spring for the 15in mbp if i were you. the dedicated graphics will speed things up a lot, and if you're gonna be doing ps/illustrator/whatever work without an external monitor at least sometimes, you definitely want the extra screen space

also don't get 8gb or ram direct from apple, it's far far cheaper to buy and install it yourself. pretty easy swap anyway.

would they really release another macbook pro already? i'd think they'd wait at least a year..

especially with iphone4s/5 + ipad3 + ipod updates to push out..

yea I think so, since this was just a refresh as opposed to an actual update. hell, they were planning the next iPad soon as well, and the 2 barely came out