MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

^^ I don't care that much about having my music with me, most of my stuff is on a headless server in France, just ssh in and grab shit when needed.

I definitely think I'm picking an 11.6" 4GB up soon. I'm going to the Apple store tomorrow to play with it and see if the screen won't totally kill my eyes, and then it's off to pay.

kinda excited.

i've got a fuckload of random duplicate files on my macbook (mainly jpegs, i think) that i'm putting down to apple mail (w/ gmail IMAP) and the way it saves multiple messages, drafts, etc. (including attachments) in different places.

is there an easy way to avoid this / clean up the duplicates?

whilst i'm here, time machine doesn't back up ipods / iphones, does it? is there an easy way to make it do so?

i want to get the 11inch air too. Its so thin and light, pretty much perfect for what i need. its super exp though for what you get inside, what are other comparable alternatives out there size and weight wise? Really like super thin ...

I remember there is a sony vaio that is really thin and light but i forgot the name of it...

i want to get the 11inch air too. Its so thin and light, pretty much perfect for what i need. its super exp though for what you get inside, what are other comparable alternatives out there size and weight wise? Really like super thin ...

I remember there is a sony vaio that is really thin and light but i forgot the name of it...

Yeah, just ordered the 11.6" w/ 4GB & 1.8ghz processor. I think it's just that at this point in my life, I've stopped doing all the multimedia processing I was doing with my 15" MBP, and doing a lot more lecture/notes/code/research stuff that required me to be me in a million places all the time. Having a binder full of notes + a 15" MBP a happy back does not make, so I realized it was time to down-size a bit. I am without a doubt a little worried about the lack of screen real-estate, but a) it's an excuse to buy a 30" cinema display (probably not going to happen lol), and B) I used one of those tiny-ass Sony ultralights for three years in college/HS so I'm used to being cramped. Plus the fact that Apple gives a shit about ergonomics means my fingers won't hate me as much, thankfully.

I'll definitely be posting more about my experiences with the MBAir, but I ran across this guy who compiled a set of peoples' experience with the MBAir and essentially looked at why to purchase. http://brooksreview.net/2010/10/the-11/

For me the primary reasons are:

*portability

*ease of use

*speed

*battery life

*portability x 3.

so ymmv.

• h

just got my out of warranty 15 inch macbook pro serviced for free, had the logic board\video card issue. Sucks that I had my macbook serviced 4 times in the 4 years I've owned it. Extra sucks that they installed my mac with the same logic board\nvidia card thats going to go bad.

^^ what's the point. 13" mba vs mbp is like 1.5 pound of difference. Same size, you just have less shit. I always thought the 13" mba vs mbp was definitely stupid, at least price wise to have purchased.

same form-factor, a little difference and weight, and you lose all the ports/accessibility/cd-drive. oh hey you're paying $1k+

edit: actually yeah, I remember making price comparisons.

MBAir 13" - $1.8k

MBP 13" – $1.2k

for exactly the same performance.

^^ what's the point. 13" mba vs mbp is like 1.5 pound of difference. Same size, you just have less shit. I always thought the 13" mba vs mbp was definitely stupid, at least price wise to have purchased.

same form-factor, a little difference and weight, and you lose all the ports/accessibility/cd-drive. oh hey you're paying $1k+

edit: actually yeah, I remember making price comparisons.

MBAir 13" - $1.8k

MBP 13" – $1.2k

for exactly the same performance.

who gives a shit about performanc

2gb 4gb 8 is all the same when I'm watching you tube , playing m p 3

g mail takes a long time to load, but i think it's because my internet is slow

the only time i ever use the cd drive is to install windoze, but if im not lazy then I dont even need it for that.

why needs ethernet when you have wi fi

I don't even know what firewire does - everything I know uses U S B

those are the only2 ports you lose - the air has power, usb, displayport, sd card..

the air is much thinner, lighter, comes with a higher resolution Display, and also a 128 GB Solid State Flash Drive. i bet it's quieter and runs ccooler than my mcbook pro

you know how crucial that is for haramzadehs like me with fucked up immune systems? every harddrive I handle ends up clicking to death because my body's magnetic field is all fucked up. every fucking harddrive - all my computers, all my external backup disks, all my laptops, family computers, friends, my xbox, my dvr - you know how much shit i lost. fuck, you can't

^^^Do you speak English as 9th language?

Invest in some decent instant back-up solutions like Dropbox or S3. I use dropbox and Time Machine, and it's the easiest thing in the world to just put needed documents in said folder and have Time Machine go from here. Try this: http://brooksreview.net/2010/07/backup-reminder-a-look-at-my-backup-system/

Might work for you. Maybe also go to a real doctor to see what's up with your 'magnetic aura stuff?' lol

and am I missing something...what the fuck is a 'haramzadeh'...

People who can't spell. But if I'm not mistaken it's a horrible spelling of haram zada, or person born out of wedlock. A bastard, if you will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haram_zada

In relevant news – computer coming Wednesday, and then it's off with it to San Diego. My back will be so much happier, no joke.

• 2 weeks later...

I brought my macbook in to the apple store because the internal LCD stopped working.

It's only running linux.

They shat themselves in terror and insisted that I send the POS to <drumroll please> cupertino, ca where apple would replace the LCD and FORCIBLY install MacOS back on my machine and that I would need to back up my own shit first.

Needless to say I didn't do that.

Long story short, does anyone happen to have a nonfunctional mac book 15" with a non-damaged LCD?

I brought my macbook in to the apple store because the internal LCD stopped working.

It's only running linux.

They shat themselves in terror and insisted that I send the POS to <drumroll please> cupertino, ca where apple would replace the LCD and FORCIBLY install MacOS back on my machine and that I would need to back up my own shit first.

Needless to say I didn't do that.

Long story short, does anyone happen to have a nonfunctional mac book 15" with a non-damaged LCD?

Why not plug it into some other monitor, and install OSX for the time being so apple will service it?

^ Seriously. I rarely defend the genius bar because from most of my experiences, they're mindless drones, but its policy. The depot will either return your computer not fixed and make them pay shipping or erase the drive. I've had machines returned for stupider things (non-Apple ram... once because we left the case on the machine).

Also, if you're comfortable enough to swap out the LCD on your 15" (???) macbook, then you should be comfortable (a) connecting it to a monitor and backing it up followed by an erase and install or (B) removing the drive and cloning it to another, then praying that the depotdrone is in a good mood and fixes it despite the OS.

Seriously it shouldnt even be much of a hassle for apple. They're gonna boot his machine with troubleshooting tools running off their drives using disk mode anyway.

Apple called me today to apologize for the two repairs in a row. They're gonna replace my defective logicboard again with the same recalled logicboard thats going go bad anyway. I told the manager thats like fixing a ceiling that collapses every week because of water damage instead of fixing the cause of the water damage. He quickly STFU and told me things will be good when I get my "essentially brand new macbook" and hung up.

Essentially brand new because in the 3 years I've owned it I had the following replaced:

2 logic boards

2 super drives

1 bottom case from warping

1 cracked monitor housing caused from one of the logic board repairs

1 trackpad, which may have also been a logicboard replacement

You're right. They could very easily boot it to an external system and verify the issue then verify it's fixed after replacing the LCD. But they don't have to. Policy is policy and it's there for a reason. Dude can very easily take it to an aasp and they'd fix it and ignore the os but an apple store or the apple depot most likely won't.

Also if he approached them with the apparent condescension in his post (they shat themselves over Linux), then I wouldn't bother adjusting the rules either.

DaBest have you spoken with AppleCare? 3 major component replacements are typically enough for a replacement machine. That's fucking rough.

Anyone else dissapointed with the new Macbook Pro's? I was hoping for lighter, bigger glass trackpad, Boot SSD drive for an instant on/shut down. The only thing that really stands out is new HD camera, and Sandybridge processors. Which is nice and all but it's like doing the same shit over and over but a little better.

The problem with Thunderbolt is that it's so fucking limited to the amount of things you have accessible with it. I just feel that even if you get thunderbolt you are going to waiting a bit until it catches up to USB. Granted USB is straight shit compared to firewire as the time they were both release and got the upper hand somehow. Thunderbolt may have the same fate.

I have no applecare, it ran out last year, but it basically got extended for 3 years for free because of the logicboard issue with nvidia 8600 macbooks. My brother works at the Apple store and he couldnt even get me a hookup to a new or refurb laptop. He's told me some people had as many as 5 logic board replacements.

Also a bit of interesting info, apparently alot of his coworkers are buying HP Envys.

Has boot camp gotten better? I remember have fan control issues and the gpu overheating forcing immediate shutdown if I play some thing like NBA2K10 on my macbook for 10 minutes.

so i bought a brand new macbook pro last october to replace a vaio i had.

recently it's been running slower and slower, with that rainbow bubble shit coming up VERY often and it's frustrating as hell.

can anyone chime in on any solutions? i'm a mac newbie.

oh, any disk space is not a problem i dont have music/movies/pictures on here

so i bought a brand new macbook pro last october to replace a vaio i had.

recently it's been running slower and slower, with that rainbow bubble shit coming up VERY often and it's frustrating as hell.

can anyone chime in on any solutions? i'm a mac newbie.

oh, any disk space is not a problem i dont have music/movies/pictures on here

This happened to my mac last year.. i ran Disk Warrior and after multiple tests it came back saying i had to change the hard drive.

I backed everything up, took the mac into the Apple store, they swapped out the drive, i got home and everything was good for about 4 to 6 weeks then it went back to taking forever to load even the simplest of things.

I said fuck it and sold it on Craigslist and bought a new computer and haven't had a problem since.

mine almost has that same problem, but I keep writing it off as the hard drive beng fairly full. I have a 350g and there is like 220 or so on it I believe. It's nothing that is bothersome, but sometime i get the rainbow thing or web pages will scroll kinda choppy if i come back from the screen saver.

Disk utilization should in and of itself never be a reason for slow performance. If you have fragmentation that's another problem, but simply being at 50% or 75% or even 90% of disk capacity ALONE should never cause slowness.

I don't know how MacOS handles swap, but it may be that your swap is fragmented.