MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

In windows when you highlight over a bunch of files and right click to properties and it tells you how big those 6 files are. How do you do this in Mac? Whenever I highlight over items I want to drag into my flashdrive it just says 6 items selected but I am not sure if it will fit on my flashdrive because it doesn't tell me how big those 6 files are combined. Help please?

highlight them all, right click, control -> get summary info.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you could all help me with something, if you would....

My macbook pro recently broke the latching mechanism (it's one of the older ones) and I need to replace the entire bottom case due to the way in which it's broken. These laptops are part of my school program, so I'm forced to have one. We have them for the first two years (leased), then return them and are given new ones for the last two years of the program which we take with us when we graduate. I'm in my second year so this needs to be fixed before the end of this school year when the laptop will need to be returned. They've told me that to buy the part from mac and use the tech support service frequently used by the school that this will cost 400$ CAD. I'm hoping someone knows of a good website where I can get one of these and if it is at all possible/advisable for some noob like myself to try and swap all of the hardware into a new bottom case.

My model is

"Early 2008 2.4 GHz Core2Duo MacBook Pro"

Thanks,

do you really need the latch?

ie does it actually fuck with the comptuer's going to sleep or something or is it just not closing properly, but when you shut the lid it behaves as it should, it just leaves a gap

I might recommend just getting a cheap notebook envelope if you dont have one already and keeping your computer in that, the latch only matters when you're not using it your computer so save your time and money

Tim, I can tell you from experience that replacing the casing is a pretty big pain. It sounds like you actually need to replace the top case since that's where the latching mechanism is- this is just semantics but important if you want to order the correct part. This is a unibody right? To do this you'd have to remove the lower case, battery, then literally every piece of hardware in the computer (including the logic board), and even detach the display.

Imo, this is something to just let the professionals do. Also, $400 is a pretty damn good deal on it, considering the top case costs $200 direct from Apple (no markup) so you'd probably be looking at $300 or so for the part alone. Is saving 100 bucks really worth the hours you're going to spend doing this and potentially breaking another part in the process? That warning aside, ifixit.com is a pretty excellent source of replacement guides. I could also probably send you the official repair manual for your computer if you're interested. This just isn't the ideal repair for a 'noob'.

thanks for the advice

it's definitely the lower case...that has been diagnosed by the tech people....it's not the magnetic latches that come down from either side of the camera at the top of the screen, but the corners on the lower case that the latches latch onto.

Turns out that they're actually willing to do most of the legwork to find a used bottom case on ebay, make sure it's the right part, and then i'll just buy it and pay them to swap all the shit out of the old and into the new (i've decided I don't really want to fuck with that). All things considered, it's actually pretty nice of them.

thanks again.

i changed the top case on mine a year ago, and it was a real pain in the arse. i managed to damage the lcd backlighting so i had to use it as a desktop computer until the motherboard died a month ago...

3009_1132725312967_1072304773_402176_6937807_n.jpg

What are you using these apps for? I haven't really searched enough to see any screenshots, but they both seem to be itunes controllers. Been using you control:tunes + growl notifications in Leopard and Snow Leopard and I like it. I really only use it to skip songs, change playlists/artists, and occasionally ID songs though.

anyone happen to have good recommendations for CoverSutra alternatives? i used to use Bowtie and i loved it, but its not compatible with snow leopard so i tried CoverSutra but i'm not liking it

Bowtie is actually compatible with Snow Leopard now. I'm still using a combo of coversutra for scrobbling + bowtie for display, since bowtie's last.fm integration is crap.

my macbook's battery just died :(

has anyone bought non-apple batteries that they sell on ebay? hows the quality compared to the authentic apple ones? normally i wouldnt fuck with anything non-apple, but im strapped for cash and theyre half the price of the apple ones

why the hell does my MBP stay on when i close the lid? I never changed any settings or preferences and its annoying

Sleep is triggered by a magnet along the right side of your display and a switch on the right side of your topcase. When the magnet is close to the switch, it triggers the computer to go to sleep. The mechanism rarely fails, but its pretty sensitive so a good whack on the right-side of the computer might have been enough to fuck something up. If you want to check it yourself, run a magnet along the righthand side of the computer with the display open and see if the computer goes to sleep. If it doesn't, you can try resetting the pmu/smc. And if that doesn't fix it, you'd probably need to take the computer in for service or start manually putting it to sleep.

• 2 weeks later...