MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

oh also, does anyone use anti-virus software around here?

i'm looking at buying virus barrier, but wanted to check with some other mac users before purchasing it. i've "borrowed" a copy of final cut express and would prefer to have a anti-virus program installed before installing final cut.

so i took my g4 into apple last week because the charger finally gave out and my laptop wouldn't turn on anymore. they gave me the standard 310 plus tax to ship it in. now today they called me and told me that there was motherboard damage and traces of water damage so they re-estimated it to be $1200.

i was wondering since i chose for them to send my laptop back will they still charge me the $310 since they didn't really fix anything?

new macbook pro soon to be launched! :D

Any clue as to HOW soon?

I need to buy another one within the next week.

so, i was born and raised on macs, basically, and i have my dad to thank for that. he got his first mac in 1987 and i remember playing pinball on it back in the 90s. we replaced it and just kept it in a case in the garage for almost 15 years. last year my decided to make a fish tank out of the old mac plus and he gave it to me for christmas. coolest present i've ever gotten. i have a mac pro now i use for photography work.

macquarium2.jpg

MBP 13'' or 15''? And what's a good hard shell case to get for them?

edit also, i've read about the upcoming mbp updates, do the prices raise when this new update comes out? and is it really worth it to wait for the updated version? my old desktop died yesterday and I was planning on buying a mbp this saturday because being without a computer and having to do everything on my iphone is damn annoying..

Try considering speck cases. They are pretty good!

MBP 13'' or 15''? And what's a good hard shell case to get for them?

edit also, i've read about the upcoming mbp updates, do the prices raise when this new update comes out? and is it really worth it to wait for the updated version? my old desktop died yesterday and I was planning on buying a mbp this saturday because being without a computer and having to do everything on my iphone is damn annoying..

islandboi, imo powerbooks are much more durable than all intels macs atm, and for your case, i think maybe you should try considering replacing a new HD. Gadgets wise is pretty unpredictable but for your HD to crash 4 times, i think something is really wrong.

Did you send to applecare to repair for all 4 times? If you do, try telling them off. You paid a couple of grands for this machine and it just keep crashes. Its really ridiculous. Just sound your harsh opinion, and demand a free repair or even a new computer being replace. Try it, it might work. :)

anyone use little snitch with their adobe suite? my 30 day trial is quickly coming to an end and i need to crack this shit.

you need more than little snitch but modifying the host file at the root. works well for me. i hope you won't have to completly uninstall all adobe product and do it like some people. drop a pm if you want to know more.

I've got little snitch (in demo mode) with a downloaded CS4. I installed it when 4 just came out so I don't really remember what I did to get everything working, but typically I just download the trial, grab a serial from serial seeker and tell little snitch to forever block outgoing connections to the adobe verification address. I've never fucked with the preference or host files.

it depends - how badly do you want the new laptop?

it's most likely that the improvements will just be performance based however with apple there's always the chance that there could be some big change.

As for new products, there traditionally aren't lots of bugs but they've had some issues (eg flaky 27" imac displays) of late.

Yeah most probably would be just an upgrade of performance. Usually once new models are released, the older one will be selling for a couple of $100 cheaper. (Provided if there are still stocks left)

So yeah, if you're dont mind waiting, I suggest you should just wait a little longer before you make a move. :)

Should I wait until the new Mac Book Pros are released? I was pretty much set on the 13" MBP (with 4 gb ram, 2.53 GHz), which looked like all I need as a studio/live laptop, but now with talk of a new model being released I'm wondering if I'll get more power for same ammount of money with it... I don't necessarily follow Apple very closely, so I don't really know what the trend is when they release new products. Lots of bugs?

Does anyone have any idea of how far the new macbook pros are away? Is mid march likely at this point? Also are release dates global?

Getting a new MBP 15 for a new job, but dont want to get one now, if there are new ones <1month away

it's a mess of rumors right now. i hear things that they are ready, just trying to fill stock. other people are saying that they won't be able to do it in time and they will release in june.

i would wait until second week of march. there will be more info then or at least some more leads.

it's a mess of rumors right now. i hear things that they are ready, just trying to fill stock. other people are saying that they won't be able to do it in time and they will release in june.

i would wait until second week of march. there will be more info then or at least some more leads.

Thanks mike, that's what I'm thinking, I'll use my home MBP at work until mid march, if it's looking like a june release, I'll just get a new one then.

Just use your current one at the moment, I think you are able to purchase the new ones by the later quarter of the year. Now the rumors follows with a choice to switch/choose between graphics card(Integrated/Dedicated) and of cos the installation of quad core processor. My guess the whole thing will be release during the conference talk. Hopefully earlier.

Thanks mike, that's what I'm thinking, I'll use my home MBP at work until mid march, if it's looking like a june release, I'll just get a new one then.

Just use your current one at the moment, I think you are able to purchase the new ones by the later quarter of the year. Now the rumors follows with a choice to switch/choose between graphics card(Integrated/Dedicated) and of cos the installation of quad core processor. My guess the whole thing will be release during the conference talk. Hopefully earlier.

cheers, yeah have been reading those rumours also. As this will be a work computer, I just want to make sure I dont wait too long, as they may get too comfortable with me using my own computer.

So I need a laptop for school/general purpose.

The only thing i'm really going to be using it for is writing papers, surfing the web, watching movies, nothing severe

Wondering how much of a pain in the ass is it to deal with using Macs version of word, and converting it so that it appears like a normal word file? Everyone tells me its no big deal, but i'd like some 2nd opinions.

I also have an iphone, so thats another reason i'd rather get a mac than pc laptop.

Granted I put away my worries with the whole word thing, the regular old $999 macbook should be perfectly suitable for me no?