MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

It does happen, but very rarely. I had an 07 MBP where the case bent under the right palm rest and it ended up messing with the cd drive. They tried to charge me $900, and I had applecare. I ended up sending it in twice and after talking to many, many people, I finally got my free(and deserved) repair for free. It probably didn't hurt that the guy who approved it knew nothing about computers, so I just threw a bunch of terms(many non-applicable) out so he knew that I knew what I was talking about, and he said screw it. Have a 13" MBP now, the higher end one, and I love it. Will upgrade to 8GB RAM at some point.

Haven't put Windows 7 on, waiting for it to be available for a cool $15 from my school's bookstore next month. I prefer boot camp, parallels leads to decreased performance in both windows and OS X. Might as well be fully emerged in the environment, unless for some reason you need to be working side by side.

• 2 weeks later...

I just made the switch, couldn't resist and I'm so glad that I did. This is amazing!

What are the must haves for the computer, software wise?

I have a few things such as AppFresh, Quicksilver, CandyBar, LittleSnitch, VLC.

There's so much I need to learn though :l

the sound might be coming from your hardisk or might be the internal fan. try put your lappy to sleep when moving around, best bet is to send it to the nearest service centre and have it check within the first year warranty.

What are the good P2P programs for MacBook? I searched on google and found some results, but just asking for some personal preferences.

I use Torrents to get full albums and what not, but would like to use another p2p program for single songs..

I got Poisoned or whatever, and it seems to be alright...but tough to find stuff/download stuff without having to dig through a bunch of clutter.

I also just want to say I picked up a WD external hdd and I'm very happy and feel like I am set! Just need to get more used to my mbp, but I love taking this thing around with me, haha.

you can get individual songs through torrents using transmission. when you click the torrent file, it opens a window and you can deselect which files you don't want to download, and this way it'll just download the checked songs. don't know if that made sense...sorry i'm on skype with someone.

just remain your 15". its dope.

anyway, have anyone experienced faulty RAM before?

kernel panic screens appear, problem will be solved if you remove one of the ram.

I read abit, it seems like its a ram slot issue that links to the logic board. Any clue?

so i guess applecare is worth it huh? cuz my battery only lasts about 15 min, usually less

Unless your battery is defective, Applecare won't cover it. Mine has 388+ cyclecounts and the system profiler says "Replace battery now."

Just upgraded my hard drive last week. Plugged a new 500g into my 2.5 y/o 15" mbp. Upped it to 4g ram also. Finally made the switch from Tiger to Snow Leopard in the process. Total upgrade cost was around $210. Now I need to get a new battery and I'll be set for hopefully another year or two.

Just wondering, I'm going off to college next year and I'm not sure if I'll be best off keeping my 15" MBP and buying a mininotebook to take notes, or selling my 15" and buying the new 13" MBP. What do you guys think?

If you plan to take notes in class on some kind of laptop, get the 13. I don't think you will enjoy syncing files between the mininotebook and the 15". I got a 13 MBP before I went to school and gave my dad my old 15 to use on the road.

yea. hes right. if you really intend to switch, my suggestion is to wait a lil longer for the "new ones". anyway the current 13" are built in battery which is a disadvantage actually.

There's not that much of a difference between the 13 and the 15 in terms of portability. Both fit into any bag.

nice one mike! :)

thanks for the great info bout the battery. thats fast! 2mins to get them replace!

anyway, checked on my laptop today, ram is working fine and so are the ram slots. but if i used 1 ram instead of 2, it will work, however if i placed both my rams(2x1GB) into each ram slots, kernel panic appears.

best part i put in 2 new pieces of rams(2x2GB), it was working fine!

thats really a weird theory.

anyone knows the cure?

Here is a buyers guide for apple. Gives you an idea when models get updated.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Buyer%27s_Guide_%28time-ordered%29

New built-in battery is not a problem. It's very easy to replace yourself and apple does it in 2 minutes if you buys a new one there.

Tried the rams running on their own on each slots, working fine. but as long as i run both of them together, kernel panic appears.

And i replace them with 2 new pieces of ram and its able to run.

I dont think its faulty ram or ram slots, both my rams just couldnt run together which is weird :(

Love my MBP15, I was a PC person until I started working in a lab. It seems like most people use Macs for making figures in Illustrator and for presentations. But yeah when I started grad school, they gave me a $1500 computer stipend, so I got a MBP15" 2.53GHz for about $100!