MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

that's what i did. i now have 3gb of ram + western digital scorpio black 320gb 7200 trm, and my first ever generation macbook now runs like a brand new mbp.

and my mac osx is originally from my ibook g3 running panther and has been upgraded with tiger then leopard. i really should do a clean install but i'm too lazy and don't have leopard (i downloaded it and mounted on an hdd).

I'm going to upgrade my macbook to 4gb of ram and 500 gb 7200 rpm hard drive. The ram part is easy but i've never upgraded my hard drive. How do I backup everything (microsoft office, all documents, leopard). I basically want to swap hard drives and turn on my computer like i still had the old hard drive (except faster), with all the settings and applications and everything in place.

Yeah i guess the enclosure could work. it just bothers me to install leopard again and then the applications etc. for my music i guess the enclosure works but not for apps, when i can't just drag an app off the hard drive and it would work (or does it?).

i posted something on macrumors.

buy the new one

get a 2.5" hdd enclosure too (even the cheapest one)

put the hdd in the enclosure and plug it, then format

download carbon copy cloner

create a bootable backup and do not uncheck anything

swap hdd

i've done it lately you can send me a pm if you need more details

ah ok i see what you mean, they told me basically the same thing on macrumors. They also told me that the Western Digital 500gb 5400rpm is better than the Seagate 500gb 7200rpm... It's like 30 or 40 bucks cheaper, why not? This is what i'll go for:

hard drive: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/602630-REG/Western_Digital_WD5000BEVTRTL_500GB_Scorpio_Blue_2_5_.html

enclosure: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/572384-REG/Iogear_GHE7125S3_2_5_eSATA_3Gbps_and.html

ram: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583498-REG/Crucial_Technology_CT2KIT25664BC1067_4GB_2x2GB_SO_DIMM_Memory.html

and for the carbon copy cloner, i basically just put the new hd in the enclosure, do a clone of the hard drive in the macbook, then swap hd's right? It's that easy? Once i download it though, i'll ask you for which settings exactly to check and all cause i'm worried something will go wrong.

I don't know, the guys at macrumors forums showed me this report:

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/17010/14

according to it, the wd 5400 is actually better and often faster than the 7200 seagate. I would get the 7200 if it was faster but it doesn't seem to be the case? i was kind of confused with this as well... i'm also worried about getting more vibrations on my macbook. would 7200 make it vibrate a lot more?

anyone know how much apple charge for a hard drive upgrade on a pre-unibody macbook pro? can i just bring in a hard drive of my own and have them put it in there?

do it yourself, you just need to replace like 30+ screws

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-2-Duo-Models-A1226-and-A1260-Hard-Drive-Replacement/670/1

• 2 weeks later...
hows that working out for you?

and i'm assuming the external is for your hdd that you'll replace?

i decided to go with just getting the 4gb for now (too hard not to buy anything while sales are going on) and the macbook is definitely speedier. I don't need the 500gb for now, i might even wait for end of the year to see if a larger options comes out.

my macbook's screen doesn't even function anymore (the backlighting was already broke). maybe it's because it slipped off my hands from 2m high last week.

hahahahah. i'll fix it when i move out in early september. it's plugged to my 22" lcd for now and is fine. i need to resolder the backlighting thing and buy a new inverter board and replace it. and if i'm too lazy to do it i'll end up selling the screen and top case and use my macbook as a mac mini with a keyboard on it.

i've asked this before, but i need to buy asap so im asking again

anyone had experience w/ the 17" macbook pros?

trying to decide between that and the 15". both will be 2.8ghz / 4gb.

won't be moved around all that much, and i think i could do with the higher resolution (and matte screen, to a lesser extent) for PS, CAD, etc.

but fuck, 17" is a big fucking laptop.

its a shame they don't offer anything higher than 1440x900 in the 15". if they did, my decision would be easy.

i have a 15" and i find its the perfect size for mobile computing. if I needed a powerful mobile device for cad etc, i'd go with 17". the extra screen space is crucial plus your situation sounds fine.

its not really that big, go in store, pick it up for 5 minutes or so. give it a whirl then pull trigger. either way, you'll be a happy chappy. i'd pay the xtra $300 for more screen space based on what you said

make sure you guys look at the refurbished macbooks on the apple site to get it for cheaper, they still have the same 1 year warranty and might get a free upgrade if you're lucky.

if you're going to do ps,cad,etc. Go with a macbook that has the dual graphics cards at least. i think thats the higher end 15 at least.