MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

ok, noob question time. im thinking about jumping on the mac wagon as well. i pretty much need a new laptop for basic school shit, but also in my spare time i'd like to be able to do graphic design, editing, and music production type stuff on it. so my question is- what are the benefits of a mac book pro over a macbook? i mean, would i be able to do what i want to do with just a macbook? thanks.

anything you can do on a macbook pro, you can do on a macbook... pro is just faster and has a bigger screen

i want to trade my white macbook for a black one.

funny, i want to trade my black macbook for a white one.

I got my macbook (1GB ram, 2.0 GHz Cored 2 Duo) about a month ago, and I absolutely love it. It's amazingly fast, and by that I mean it distributes its memory such that I can open every application on my dock and experience no lag. The display is beautiful, and magsafe rocks.

My only complaint is that shockwave doesn't run natively on safari or firefox, so you have to launch the browser in rosetta in order to view the shockwave item. And rosetta sucks hard.

what browsers are you guys using on your macs? im currently using safari, but im not down with it always crashing every once in a while. i dont like firefox or camino because they run on the gecko engine, which is slow on OS X. i remember trying opera before, i dont remember why i didnt like it.

I use Safari - I like it but I'm never on it for long periods of time.

my macbook is getting really slow, how do i get it to be faster? like it lags when i switch between applications. would getting another gig of ram make a big difference?
I find 2GB is a decent baseline for both PC and Mac (I generally put 4GB as standard these days).

I just got a macbook a week ago and I love it so far. This was a pretty big step for me since my AOL screenname used to me macssuck21 over ten years ago ;) I installed vista through bootcamp and deleted it several hours later since it was taking up space. It has taken some getting used to, but everything is so much more intuitive in OSX. Plus, if an app crashes, it only affects that app and the rest of your computer is fine.

I have a MacBook Pro for school and its been amazing. Odd thing is, I almost exclusively use windows instead of OSX because of the programs I need for class, (autoCAD and the like). The only problems I've had with this computer is that sometimes when I close the computer in windows it restarts by itself and it occasionally windows freezes. But that's windows. Battery life is a little short. The trackpad is overrated, I wish there were windows xp integration with the front row remote, but that's really nit picking. I had a g4 ibook before and it stayed tried and true until I got this thing. If you have trhe money, get a mac book pro, but if you really don't need the processing power, get the black macbook, its the best bang for your buck.

...Back to CADing my life away.

anything you can do on a macbook pro, you can do on a macbook... pro is just faster and has a bigger screen

funny, i want to trade my black macbook for a white one.

this isn't true. like i said, i have a black macbook and regret not getting a macbook pro.. the pro has a much sturdier and safer case that doesn't get prints all over it like the macbook and the pro also has a lot better speakers. it also has a higher resolution which i s cool if you are a "pro" and need to see a hi res image

I don't like Apple's smug attitude, nor the legions of people who seemingly buy them because they're just hip items. That said, they are pretty, they are actually quite good deals for the money when comparing specs with other pre-built laptops, and most importantly, they run OS X, and with it comes the best environment for adobe programs and general awesome-itude.

I still keep a PC at home but I've gotten so accustomed to OS X, Windows actually does feel gimped to me.

design wise i find the matte black book the sexiest, the grey pro are boring and the white is bland and played out..

power wise the black book is also identical to the entry level pro, same amount of L2 cache and everything. If like me, you won't be doing heavy video editing or gaming, that extra video ram isn't that important.

also i'd rather have a 13" notebook than a heavier and bulkier 15" since i move around a lot..

Macbook Pros aren't that heavy. My friend has a dell laptop and I swear this thing was probably a desktop they chopped up. I've got both PC and MBPro but with the arrival of Bootcamp(or Parrallel), my PC is now a novelty. The only time I use the Windows boot is whenever I feel like playing Counter-Strike, but even then, I'll probably not play cause I hate Windows... Yeah, whatever, thats just my opinion. But either way MacBook or MacBook Pro, you'll love the beast.

Windows actually does feel gimped to me.

Truth.

My girlfriend has one and the design is good.

Couple of gripes I have:

3 keys on the keyboard need to be pushed extra hard. Not sure if this is common, we plan to get this fixed soon before the year warranty runs out.

The bottom does get inordinately hot. I dunno why they didnt stick with the previous pbook design where heat is dissipated through the keyboard. Cost I guess. Reall unfortunate though.

I hate laptops with acres of space around the screen. Useless dead space. The original 12" powerbook was really slick about this, screen space was just maxed out on it. they really need to trim this sucker down, look at that wasted space around the screen and keyboard.

Definitely and with the student id I used that is a couple years old I got a nice discount like close to two hundred for being a student before but obviously tell them you are one now if your not. I got my mac book pro like a month after it came out and i love it's super fast no problems what so ever will have it for a long time.

Faster, bigger screen, better keyboard, and most importantly dedicated video memory. Worth the extra couple hundred bucks.

I have a PC and a MacBook and I can tell you this, Mac's can crash. Not only can they crash but it won't even give you the option to save your work. I got this fucked up message that OS X had crashed and I need to restart my computer, except I couldn't save any of my work. Those Mac ads are bullshit.

On a side note, I'm not taking sides, I love both PC and Mac for their distinctive qualities, but seriously Mac fanboys are like a cult. Sometimes they need to shut the fuck up. For me, the Mac is a luxury that compliments my PC well. I use my Mac 80% of the time. It's worth getting, but for me, I really need a PC as a main computer.

i was also thinking of getting a mac book pro, it would be my first apple computer ever. i have worked with old mac's back around 2000, 2001 while in school but i didnt find them interesting.

but i was told that there is a new mac book comming out with a new battery technology that is supose to last longer and a better processer. Anyone know if this is true or confirm it?

Also mac is supose to be bringing out a new OS, real soon, anyone know the when this is happening and if its worth it?

the only thing i dont like about my MB pro is that the paint faded in certain spots... idk why

and theres blue marks on the outside... indigo stains?

There's a kind of sponge called Magic Eraser by Mr.Clean (or whatever that bold's guy name is), it's damn easy to use and takes care of any dirt. I use it on my MacBook once every two months and it looks like new (and I use it at least 8hrs/day).